Cadets Involvement in SAR

Started by capchiro, October 13, 2005, 10:22:56 PM

CAPRANGER

Good afternoon.  Recently, I have just viewed this thread, and I am disgusted.  My Cadet Commander and I, I'm the Deputy Commander, are both Cadets, YES Cadets.  We are extensively trained in the field of ES.  I am qualified in GTL, GTM-1, GES, SET, and EMT-P.  He is qualified in GBD, GTL, GTM-1, GES, SET.  I went to Hawk Mountain Ranger School, and he went to Rhode Island Ground Search and Rescue.  In addition, I am a Firefighter.  Last year we both saw the first live mission ever.  At 0700 hrs, we got a call for a ELT search, and departed to the airport to see if maybe an aircraft had a dead battery and such.  We did not have luck, and set out into the rural area to search.  After an hour of searching, we got a call from AFRCC stating the mission had turned 911T or "REDCAP".  There was an overdue Robinson Helicopter that was goign from PA to RI, and they lost contact with it near our are at 1000 ft, it did three 360 turns, and lost contact.  Make a long story short, we found the site after hours of trading throught mud, prickers, looking after Senior Members who were lost, didn't know what they were doing etc.  We went in, shut the device off, and assesed the damage.  Pilot was DOA-impact, and the passenger was DOA-had tried to live by crawling out.  We took care of the problem, quickly and efficiently.  We did the job of a Senior?  No way?  Are Cadets REALLY that good??!!  We must be.  We understand that CAP is an avaiation agency if you will.  In addition, we also understand that CAP has three missions, each one supporting the other two.  With this in mind, Cadets have every right and responsibility to be on an ES Team, as a grumpy old Senior, who dosen't know his left foot from his right.  If we're primarily an aviation agency, and our goal is to get cadets to have careers in the military or aerospace industry, then how do we explain that much less than 25% of cadets enter military service, and even much less enter the aerospace industry?  The reason is it's not something that young men and women find interesting these days.  They are interested in learning how to do ES Operations, how to survive in the woods, etc.  Not because it's "fun", but because it's applicable to their lives.  Everday you won't even get close to flying, but there's that chance that any day, no matter what, you may be stuck in the woods with nothing, and your training, AS A CADET, will determine your survival or your sudden demise.  We put our cadets through "hell traning".  Why do we do this?  We do this so they are physically prepared, and definitely prepared mentally for any situation, REGARDLESS of age.  After our training, cadets put seniors to shame, as they should.  Seniors can stay in their vehicles while cadets perform acts of bravery and courage.  Cadets have been, and always will be leaders of ES.  This is not because of regulation, but of reality, and it's time to face it.  Cadets do the job seniors can't, thus why we call them seniors, shortened for senior citizens.  Cadet are ready, willing  and able bodies, ALL the time.  The understand the danger, but do it for their community, state and nation.  Cadets do ES, because you "Flyboys" are too scared and wimpy to walk through woods and see actual devastation face to face.  Cadets aren't afraid.  They know the danger, and accept it for what it is, because they believe in what's right.  You won't hardly see an AE event in your local paper with cadets, but you WILL see an ES event with cadets.  As we go evermore into this generation, CAP is being tasked more and more with ES, HLS, etc.  The better we train our cadets to do these jobs, the more our nation will thrive from Civil Air Patrol's ES Capabilities, to keep them safe and protected, with cadets on the frontlines.

C/2LT B. Mailloux, CAP
Deputy Commander
Danielson Composite Squadron
//SIGNED//
JOSEPH S. GORGOGLIONE, A1C, USAF
USAF Command Post Controller
www.ctbrad.ang.af.mil
CAPSearchandRescue@gmail.com

Five-seveN

Flyguy06, the post i posted would have only insulted the "Soft liberal officers", but its true, and there is honnestly no room for debate on this, GSAR has to be taken new level, rubbing out the "Softies" as we call and replace them with people that want to get their hads dirty, while knowing all the regs... like my self, i thinkm no actly, i know what im talkin about. thank you for your post.

C/Maj Russell

Horn229

Quote from: CAPRANGER on December 03, 2005, 05:52:47 PM
Good afternoon.  Recently, I have just viewed this thread, and I am disgusted.  My Cadet Commander and I, I'm the Deputy Commander, are both Cadets, YES Cadets.  We are extensively trained in the field of ES.  I am qualified in GTL, GTM-1, GES, SET, and EMT-P.  He is qualified in GBD, GTL, GTM-1, GES, SET.  I went to Hawk Mountain Ranger School, and he went to Rhode Island Ground Search and Rescue.  In addition, I am a Firefighter.  Last year we both saw the first live mission ever.  At 0700 hrs, we got a call for a ELT search, and departed to the airport to see if maybe an aircraft had a dead battery and such.  We did not have luck, and set out into the rural area to search.  After an hour of searching, we got a call from AFRCC stating the mission had turned 911T or "REDCAP".  There was an overdue Robinson Helicopter that was goign from PA to RI, and they lost contact with it near our are at 1000 ft, it did three 360 turns, and lost contact.  Make a long story short, we found the site after hours of trading throught mud, prickers, looking after Senior Members who were lost, didn't know what they were doing etc.  We went in, shut the device off, and assesed the damage.  Pilot was DOA-impact, and the passenger was DOA-had tried to live by crawling out.  We took care of the problem, quickly and efficiently.  We did the job of a Senior?  No way?  Are Cadets REALLY that good??!!  We must be.

So you're saying there wasn't any Senior Members with you? And from what I've gathered from your post, it was just the two of you? Well for acting so cocky, you could at least look at the reg and see that you are required to have at least 4 people on a GT, and a senior member.

QuoteWe understand that CAP is an avaiation agency if you will.  In addition, we also understand that CAP has three missions, each one supporting the other two.

Wrong, the Cadet program does NOT support ES. ES is optional to cadets, not required.[/quote]

QuoteWith this in mind, Cadets have every right and responsibility to be on an ES Team, as a grumpy old Senior, who dosen't know his left foot from his right.

Again, you are wrong. If a GTL doesn't want any cadets on their team, they cannot say that they have the right to be, because they don't!

QuoteIf we're primarily an aviation agency, and our goal is to get cadets to have careers in the military or aerospace industry, then how do we explain that much less than 25% of cadets enter military service, and even much less enter the aerospace industry?  The reason is it's not something that young men and women find interesting these days.

Hmm, the majority of cadets I talk to either want to go to an academy, enlist, be a pilot or to simply have fun.

QuoteThey are interested in learning how to do ES Operations, how to survive in the woods, etc.  Not because it's "fun", but because it's applicable to their lives.

How is it applicable in our everyday lives? Do people use L-Pers everyday? Do People go on missing person searches every day? Out of the X number of years that you've been in CAP how many mission have you gone on? I'll say 20. 20 mission in say 4 years, is that at "everyday" thing? Ya, I didn't think so.

QuoteEverday you won't even get close to flying, but there's that chance that any day, no matter what, you may be stuck in the woods with nothing, and your training, AS A CADET, will determine your survival or your sudden demise.

Uh....

QuoteWe put our cadets through "hell traning".  Why do we do this?

"hell training" And you call yourself a cadet officer? A cadet officer should lead people, not put cadets through "hell training". We are NOT special forces, and we never will be. The SERE instructors are trained in pushing people to their limits, to see who can actually handle certain situations. YOU are not a SERE instructor, quit acting like you are one.

QuoteWe do this so they are physically prepared, and definitely prepared mentally for any situation, REGARDLESS of age.  After our training, cadets put seniors to shame, as they should.  Seniors can stay in their vehicles while cadets perform acts of bravery and courage.

What's so "courageous" about jumping out of a 2WD 12passenger van with an L-per? Oh wait, NOTHING!

QuoteCadets have been, and always will be leaders of ES.

This is a joke, right? Tell me this whole post have been one big joke.

QuoteThis is not because of regulation, but of reality, and it's time to face it.  Cadets do the job seniors can't, thus why we call them seniors, shortened for senior citizens.

You know, there's this little thing called Respect for authority you should have learned before you took you Curry test. You really need to go re-read that section of the chapter, as you have crossed the line right here.

QuoteCadet are ready, willing  and able bodies, ALL the time.  The understand the danger, but do it for their community, state and nation.

No, cadets are not ready "all the time", and they really don't understand the danger at all, until they've been through it.

QuoteCadets do ES, because you "Flyboys" are too scared and wimpy to walk through woods and see actual devastation face to face.  Cadets aren't afraid.

Then they do NOT belong on a GT. They should understand full well what they may encounter, and anyone with that big bad cocky attitude you've been displaying through your post should stay at home. There is no room in the field for a head as big as yours, cadets that are as cocky as you need a refresher in the reality of what CAP ES really is.

QuoteThey know the danger, and accept it for what it is, because they believe in what's right.

Cadets are 12-20 years old. Unless they've seen dead bodies face to face they will never know if they're ready for it. And this Macho hero "believe in what's right" is a load of crap. There is NOTHING heroic about ramp checks!

QuoteYou won't hardly see an AE event in your local paper with cadets,

Then the Squadron Commanders need to do some reorganizing of the weekly meeting schedules to get some AE work in.

Quotebut you WILL see an ES event with cadets.  As we go evermore into this generation, CAP is being tasked more and more with ES, HLS, etc.
\

HLS? Cadets don't do CD missions, there's no way cadets under the age of 18 will ever do HLS.

QuoteThe better we train our cadets to do these jobs, the more our nation will thrive from Civil Air Patrol's ES Capabilities, to keep them safe and protected, with cadets on the frontlines.

We are not a combatant organizations, we don't go shooting terrorists in the head, we don't restrain people, we don't rappel from choppers, we don't do EMS, we don't even report the weather!

QuoteC/2LT B. Mailloux, CAP
Deputy Commander

So you're a C/2d Lt now? What happened to being a "C/COL"?
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

Cmdbuddy

Last year we both saw the first live mission ever.

I must have missed something here...

QuoteCadets do the job seniors can't, thus why we call them seniors, shortened for senior citizens.

Actually, it's shortened for senior members.  Meaning they're senior to you, a cadet. 

Grow up.  Your post was disgusting.
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Pace

I'm not sure if I should get pissed off or start laughing at the over-inflated ego and ignorant arrogance.

-Daniel Pace, Senior Citizen, CAP
Lt Col, CAP

usafsf

Good afternoon.  Recently, I have just viewed this thread, and I am disgusted.  My Cadet Commander and I, I'm the Deputy Commander, are both Cadets, YES Cadets.  We are extensively trained in the field of ES.  I am qualified in GTL, GTM-1, GES, SET, and EMT-P.  He is qualified in GBD, GTL, GTM-1, GES, SET.  I went to Hawk Mountain Ranger School, and he went to Rhode Island Ground Search and Rescue.  In addition, I am a Firefighter.  Last year we both saw the first live mission ever.  At 0700 hrs, we got a call for a ELT search, and departed to the airport to see if maybe an aircraft had a dead battery and such.  We did not have luck, and set out into the rural area to search.  After an hour of searching, we got a call from AFRCC stating the mission had turned 911T or "REDCAP".  There was an overdue Robinson Helicopter that was goign from PA to RI, and they lost contact with it near our are at 1000 ft, it did three 360 turns, and lost contact.  Make a long story short, we found the site after hours of trading throught mud, prickers, looking after Senior Members who were lost, didn't know what they were doing etc.  We went in, shut the device off, and assesed the damage.  Pilot was DOA-impact, and the passenger was DOA-had tried to live by crawling out.  We took care of the problem, quickly and efficiently.  We did the job of a Senior?  No way?  Are Cadets REALLY that good??!!  We must be.  We understand that CAP is an avaiation agency if you will.  In addition, we also understand that CAP has three missions, each one supporting the other two.  With this in mind, Cadets have every right and responsibility to be on an ES Team, as a grumpy old Senior, who dosen't know his left foot from his right.  If we're primarily an aviation agency, and our goal is to get cadets to have careers in the military or aerospace industry, then how do we explain that much less than 25% of cadets enter military service, and even much less enter the aerospace industry?  The reason is it's not something that young men and women find interesting these days.  They are interested in learning how to do ES Operations, how to survive in the woods, etc.  Not because it's "fun", but because it's applicable to their lives.  Everday you won't even get close to flying, but there's that chance that any day, no matter what, you may be stuck in the woods with nothing, and your training, AS A CADET, will determine your survival or your sudden demise.  We put our cadets through "hell traning".  Why do we do this?  We do this so they are physically prepared, and definitely prepared mentally for any situation, REGARDLESS of age.  After our training, cadets put seniors to shame, as they should.  Seniors can stay in their vehicles while cadets perform acts of bravery and courage.  Cadets have been, and always will be leaders of ES.  This is not because of regulation, but of reality, and it's time to face it.  Cadets do the job seniors can't, thus why we call them seniors, shortened for senior citizens.  Cadet are ready, willing  and able bodies, ALL the time.  The understand the danger, but do it for their community, state and nation.  Cadets do ES, because you "Flyboys" are too scared and wimpy to walk through woods and see actual devastation face to face.  Cadets aren't afraid.  They know the danger, and accept it for what it is, because they believe in what's right.  You won't hardly see an AE event in your local paper with cadets, but you WILL see an ES event with cadets.  As we go evermore into this generation, CAP is being tasked more and more with ES, HLS, etc.  The better we train our cadets to do these jobs, the more our nation will thrive from Civil Air Patrol's ES Capabilities, to keep them safe and protected, with cadets on the frontlines.

C/2LT B. Mailloux, CAP
Deputy Commander

Hmm OK you cocky little [mess], lets see, You feel that your all that because your a cadet and you do ES correct? well I have a different outlook about what you feel. I have been a cadet for well over 8 years(compared to your 2, and if for some reason you've been a cadet longer then 2 years and still a "C/2d Lt" (not C/2LT stupid  cadet you have the wrong abbreviation), then you have some rethinking to do of your career in CAP.

before you start judging me about being a current SM, I received all of my ES ratings as a Cadet, and I have well over 13 fully qualified ratings Compared to your 4. I will tell you, that if you EVER had the PRIVLIDGE of working with myself, or my good friend Nick Horn, on a SAR Mission, that you would be DECERTIFIED immediately from the wing level, due to your lack of following regulations. I guarantee that myself, and my friend have been on more missions then you have in your lifetime, and actually KNOW what to do on them, instead of just "rushing and rolling" your way up to a site because you think your all "HUA" about this SAR Stuff. you honestly need to slap yourself in the face and just quit CAP right now, because we don't need arrogant jerks like yourself ruining the program for everyone else. If you have any complaints about my attitude in responding to you, feel free to tell me them, because guess what, I'm active duty military and really don't give a crap about what you feel you cocky little cadet.
Joshua Thomas A1C USAF
RMR-WY-001
Deputy Director CP

whatevah

now now... no need to call anybody descriptive names.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

usafsf

sure there is, and if he was in person it'd be a lot more descriptive and upfront lol
Joshua Thomas A1C USAF
RMR-WY-001
Deputy Director CP

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: usafsf on December 03, 2005, 08:37:39 PM
sure there is, and if he was in person it'd be a lot more descriptive and upfront lol

Without the filters.

usafsf

trust me christie, after speaking to me, this cadet would be crying, and would WANT to quit cap, if not would be forced to quit
Joshua Thomas A1C USAF
RMR-WY-001
Deputy Director CP

Five-seveN

Personaly his post was right on, well the "Senior citizens" thing was a lil bit out there but, hes right, in some cases, cadet always are ready why... because we dont have work to hang us up, we are more set to go because, lol we read regs, and attend actual GSAR Schools that make somthing out of your self for plain fun. and in not including NESA becasue they get nothing done the whole week. ... if cap is more AE, then why dosen't nationals pay for flight lessons for cadets. HELLO it comes down to  somthing all you people for get about... and thats this...$... you honnestly think that every cadet is gunna' fork over cash to do all this stuff, LOL! thats the joke, and thats imature. cadets are givin a free choice to learn about what they want, u cant jam AE in their face all the time, whats so cool about AE any way? flight, history, ok how about this, we do our AE stuff, we read those books from nationals, thats our needed dose of AE, and o-flights, and maby the Rocketry program sometimes. face it, all of you that fight it, ES has the lead in people and members, why, because you cant go save some persons life by knowing the 3ed law of motion or knowing the affective combat range of a F-117. i personaly as C/CC permote and have to permote all CP, AE and ES, and all of your that say " they have nothing to do with eachother"...... im about to blow you out of the water.

ES is under fire by CP and AE fanatics, thats ok, Psst, did ya know AE has almost every thing to do with ES Mr Smarty Pants?

Fact: ES and AE work to gether to aid the Flight Operations on a mission! lol wow

Fact: AE informs cadets how to look for a downed pilot is survival training, and where the ELT is located on the AC, lol ES never taught me that AE did!

Fact:hmm, SARSAT and COSPAS has AE all over it, and ES right... exactly... getting shocking yet?

Fact in AE they teach you proper flight pattern around an airport, well most AC that go down, go down in the pattern, with AE i wouldnt have been able to track down this one, one time..... oops, ES strikes Agin, with ES's help.

Fact: AE taught me about the " bilistics Parachute" system, now i know how to arange my GT so they are far away from that loaded cannon.... ES and AE works like air under a jets wings.

Fact: ok the fact is i just porved you all wrong, im not cocky, just listening to all of you moan about this makes me laugh.

oh, do i need to get into how CP, AE and ES all fit in to one... ok thanks it was fun! , BTW AE is fun, and with out it, Es would never work so when cadets take part in ES training they are learning AE also. and this cant be argued.

C/Maj Russell

GBD CTWG
Mission Obs.

CAPRANGER

Thanks for the reply!  Anxious to tear you apart now!  If you want to tear apart, don't read into it.  There wasn't ONLY 2 Cadets, there was about 25, and one senior in the back, and who wasn't GTL qualified, to satisfy requirements.  I was speaking from terms of those who were in charge on the mission, not the actual people.

If you say ES is optional to cadets, it is to Seniors as well.  Every program supports each other, they all relate in one way or another, including CP-ES.  Why is this?  Because CP can help cadets become responsible, learn values, integrity, etc, as needed on a mission.  No one ever said ES was required, it is optional, but cadets tend to do a better job at it.

Seniors could say that, but if the cadet is qualified, they DO have every right to be there.  In in the case I'm talking about, the SM just drives.  Seniors think they rule the world, and they have all this power, in actuality, they don't.  That's why we have an IG.

Whether or not you talk to people who want to go in, or service academy and such is immaterial.  Talk means nothing, actions mean everything.  You can have a cadet say they want to get their Mitchell by January, whcih is a good goal, but if they are still a SSG by next November, they've done nothing.  It's facts and statistics I go by, and facts are that less than 25% enter service.

I wasn't talking about missions on an everday basis.  I'm talking about cadets personal lives.  There are those who do outdoors activities, hunting, fishing, hiking, etc.  They LIKE ES, because the training they receive can help them in the everday "real world", whereas, AE, can't help them ever.

Let me guess, you are a Cadet, amybe Cadet turned Senior?  Have you ever been in the military?  Let me know if you have.  We don't haze our cadets, EVER.  What we do though, is prepare them for the challenges that lie ahead.  If they want to be a part of our ground team, they work at it.  It's not easy, we test and test, until they get it right perfectly, so they have less of a chance of making that mistake in the field.  We want cadets who are ready physically and mentally, not those who are "softies" and/or went to NESA.  We have stopped cadets from going to NESA, permanently.  In our squadron, we can do as we like, not take instruction from a push over such as yourself.

I'll tell you what's courageous, risking our lives for other people, and our own team.  I have stories, but you seem to be too thickheaded to listen to our point of view.

If you think I've crossed the line, fine.  Do you really think I care?  You opinion dosen't tell me what to do.

In conclusion, our squadron can take any squadron on in an ES FTX.  We have the most qualified people around, including those who commanded regional GSAR schools.  Before you think you're the best, and let me guess, you went to NESA?  If you did, it REALLY shows.  A bunch of "softies".  We're not here to argue, but show you, cadets are the backbone of ES, and SHOULD NOT be treated differently if they know there material, and are physically and mentally prepared.  We have that in our squadron, and we're PROUD!

C/2LT B. Mailloux, CAP
RANGER 2nd Class
//SIGNED//
www.ctbrad.ang.af.mil

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: CAPRANGER on December 03, 2005, 08:52:56 PM
Thanks for the reply!  Anxious to tear you apart now!  If you want to tear apart, don't read into it.  There wasn't ONLY 2 Cadets, there was about 25, and one senior in the back, and who wasn't GTL qualified, to satisfy requirements.  I was speaking from terms of those who were in charge on the mission, not the actual people.

25 cadets and one senior?  How did they get there?

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: CAPRANGER on December 03, 2005, 08:52:56 PMYou can have a cadet say they want to get their Mitchell by January, whcih is a good goal, but if they are still a SSG by next November, they've done nothing. 

I guess you would know about that since you've been in for over 6 years (according to your other posts) and you're only a C/2d Lt

Five-seveN

Good Post Lt,  but the comment about "What's so "courageous" about jumping out of a 2WD 12passenger van with an L-per? Oh wait, NOTHING!" made by the AF Airman First calss is a bit out there, Obviously he vever jumped out of that 2WD van in to rubble over his head because a cat 5 wipes out most of a city. thats courage, thanks Airman for serving for us, your the man!

C/Maj Russell

CAPRANGER

OK Josh, you want to start?  I don't.  I will say this, an AIC in the USAF is nothing.  You're training was so easy compared to the US Army training I went through.  Ft Benning-OSUT- 17 weeks, 11B(Infantry).  Then to Army Airborne School(AAS).  You think you'll make me cry, you wish.  I'm a CPL in the USA.  Just let it go, you're not worth it.  If you think I'm cocky, whatever you think.  If I am, great, what are you goign to do about it, I have every right to.  Go abck to your home or base, and have Prime Rib for dinner, while I stand up for freedom with a full mind and body.

CPL B. Mailloux, USA
82nd Airborne
//SIGNED//
www.ctbrad.ang.af.mil

CAPRANGER

The way we got there was with one van, and a few POV's because some of our members live out of state.  Later another van showed up, but the senior member left.  In regards to being a C/2LT....Well, when you actually make something with your life, it's tough to be a CAP Junkie all the time.  Through military training, college, and Fire Dept.  I'm proud of my accomplishments, and that's all that matters, CAP has been a big part of my life, but there are definitely more things more important in life than CAP.

C/2LT B. Mailloux, CAP
//SIGNED//
www.ctbrad.ang.af.mil

usafsf

Quote from: Five-seveN on December 03, 2005, 09:01:27 PM
Good Post Lt,  but the comment about "What's so "courageous" about jumping out of a 2WD 12passenger van with an L-per? Oh wait, NOTHING!" made by the AF Airman First calss is a bit out there, Obviously he vever jumped out of that 2WD van in to rubble over his head because a cat 5 wipes out most of a city. thats courage, thanks Airman for serving for us, your the man!

C/Maj Russell

hey ass, im not the one who stated the thing about jumping out the van go re-read it
Joshua Thomas A1C USAF
RMR-WY-001
Deputy Director CP

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: CAPRANGER on December 03, 2005, 09:07:18 PM
OK Josh, you want to start?  I don't.  I will say this, an AIC in the USAF is nothing.  You're training was so easy compared to the US Army training I went through.  Ft Benning-OSUT- 17 weeks, 11B(Infantry).  Then to Army Airborne School(AAS).  You think you'll make me cry, you wish.  I'm a CPL in the USA.  Just let it go, you're not worth it.  If you think I'm cocky, whatever you think.  If I am, great, what are you goign to do about it, I have every right to.  Go abck to your home or base, and have Prime Rib for dinner, while I stand up for freedom with a full mind and body.

CPL B. Mailloux, USA
82nd Airborne

A corporal at 18?  Fishy... What batallion and company were you in at Benning?  What unit are you in at the 82nd and what's your position there?

CAPSGT

Warning #2 to all involved in this thread:  CUT THE PERSONAL ATTACKS

Knowing a lot of the people involved in this thread, I think a lot of you will agree with most of what is being said on some level.

CAPRANGER & Five-seveN:  If you really read into what you are responding to, you will see that everyone is truly attacking your the attitude behind your posts.  

Understand that most of what you guys are saying are generalizations against groups.  Not all senior members are old and incompetent.  At the same time, not all cadets are automatically SAR Gods.  While your particular area may have many incompetant seniors, and a lot of good cadets, it is not true everywhere.  MDWG used to have many cadets who were the wing's top ES performers, but not so much anymore.

Nobody, cadet or senior member has a right to participate in Emergency Services.  Qualification only means that you can be permitted to go on a mission.

I'm not sure what the IG comment has to do with anything, but IGs still report to commanders.  They merely investigate facts and make recommendations.

My observation when it comes to ES personnel is this.  The ones that are extremely cocky and tell people how great they are, usually aren't that good.  It's the "quiet professional" that steals the show in action.  I recently served as the GBD for MER SAR College, where I had 5 instructors helping me (including C/Maj Horn).  The cockiest of all my instructors was the one who I will not ask to return if I am the GBD again.  I would gladly have C/Maj Horn back, he just has a tendency to return arrogance when people get arrogant.

And last thing, I resent being called a senior citizen.  I mean c'mon, I'm only 22!
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron