Cheat sheet for sewing BDU patches

Started by Maj Ballard, March 21, 2008, 07:06:58 PM

JoeTomasone

Quote from: PHall on March 23, 2008, 10:00:11 PM
You know, I asked my then Wing Commander that question. She said that the then National Commander (aka he who shall not be named) told the National Board that it was to be at the Wing Commander's option. I said "that's not what was published. The letter said optional, period.
She said she would check into it. Never got an answer because other events happened before she could give me an answer.

I'd really be interested to hear what Brig Gen Courter's view on this is. But I don't think any of us here on CAPTalk has an appointment to see her anytime soon.

I submitted a question on this to the Knowledge Base.   We'll see what they say. 

RiverAux

I agree that the "option" to wear the Wing patch on the BDU apppears to be at the discretion of the individual member rather than the Wing Commander.  They may have meant to make it so that the choice to wear it or not would be in the hands of the Wing Commander, but it wasn't written that way.  In writing regulations intention doesn't matter -- what is written matters. 

MIKE

IMO, if it's a wing optional thing it should be added to Table 1-3. or otherwise specifically addressed as a commander mandated item like everything else that can be authorized/required is.  Optional means optional.  Hell, the BDU/Field Uniform you wear 'em on is optional.

Back to the original topic.

Mike Johnston

JoeTomasone

Quote from: JoeTomasone on March 23, 2008, 10:11:54 PM
Quote from: PHall on March 23, 2008, 10:00:11 PM
You know, I asked my then Wing Commander that question. She said that the then National Commander (aka he who shall not be named) told the National Board that it was to be at the Wing Commander's option. I said "that's not what was published. The letter said optional, period.
She said she would check into it. Never got an answer because other events happened before she could give me an answer.

I'd really be interested to hear what Brig Gen Courter's view on this is. But I don't think any of us here on CAPTalk has an appointment to see her anytime soon.

I submitted a question on this to the Knowledge Base.   We'll see what they say. 

Here's what they said about the authority to issue policy letters that modify regs:

Quote from: KB Answer

CAP REGULATION 5-4  PUBLICATIONS AND FORMS MANAGEMENT  5 FEBRUARY 2007

3. Supplements, Operating Instructions (OI) and Pamphlets. Supplements, OIs and pamphlets may be issued by any level of command unless specifically limited or prohibited by the regulation or manual governing the publication's subject matter. See attachment 1 and attachment 2 for proper formats. The following responsibilities relate to the management of supplements, OIs and pamphlets:
a. Commanders.
(1) Commanders are encouraged to keep the number of publications issued by their headquarters to the absolute minimum needed for mission accomplishment and must promptly rescind those publications that are no longer needed or have been superseded. When the parent publication of a supplement or OI is revised/reissued, commanders must ensure the supplement or OI is revised and re-approved, if required, or rescinded with 6 months of the new parent publication's issue. Publications will not conflict with higher headquarters directives. Commanders must also ensure that when publishing supplements operating instructions and pamphlets that the content only pertains to those personnel within his/her purview. In addition, a copy of each publication must be forwarded to the next higher level of
command for review immediately upon publication.
(2) Some regulations and manuals require NHQ approval of all supplements or operating instructions pertaining to that publication (e.g.: CAPR 60-1, CAPR 173-2, etc.). Commanders will ensure such approvals are received prior to issuing the supplements or operating instruction. All supplements or OIs pertaining to Air Force Assigned Missions (i.e., CAPR 60-1, CAPR 60-3, CAPR 173-3, etc.) requiring NHQ approval must be coordinated with the State Director, CAP-USAF Liaison Region, and the CAP Region prior to submission to NHQ for approval. When such a proposed supplement or operating instruction is received at National Headquarters, NHQ staff will, within 60 days, review it and will take one of the following actions:
(a) Approve the supplement.
(b) Provide detailed feedback to the submitting unit as to why it cannot be approved/what changes are needed prior to approval.
(c) Provide the reasons for any delay and a specific date, within 120 days of receipt of the proposed supplement, by which one of the two preceding actions will be accomplished.

PHall

I think I'll just ask them straight out if the Wing Patch on the BDU is at the member's option or is it the Wing Commander's option.

This could be an "interesting answer.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Kal on March 21, 2008, 10:42:38 PM

Not all Wings are getting rid of the Wing patches.  National made them optional and FL Wing, for example, is mandating them on BDUs. 

Washington wing also.

And Iowa