Main Menu

Leadership Badge

Started by skippytim, March 13, 2008, 06:17:39 AM

skippytim

I think cadets and senior members who hold high leadership positions like Cadet Commander or Squadron Commander; (or even flight sergeant cough cough) should get little badges to display on their blues showing their leadership position, like in most of the armed forces.

SarDragon

Well, squadron commanders do have their own little badge.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

dogden

Texas wing has a 39-1 supplement that allows cadet commanders to wear a forest green cord as a recognition of their important position.

David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

Flying Pig

Badges?  We don't need no stinking badges!  If you have to ask who's in charge, it isn't you!

I spent 8 years in the Infantry and learned that badges and patches only buy you the benefit of the doubt for a very short time.  Please.....no more badges.

nesagsar

When my dad was a cadet in the 70's they had patches like that for the fatigues.

JayT

Quote from: skippytim on March 13, 2008, 06:17:39 AM
I think cadets and senior members who hold high leadership positions like Cadet Commander or Squadron Commander; (or even flight sergeant cough cough) should get little badges to display on their blues showing their leadership position, like in most of the armed forces.

So what are the requirments for being a Flight Sergeant in CAP?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Psicorp

Quote from: JThemann on March 13, 2008, 11:38:50 AM

Essentially it's just being more knowledgable than a basic cadet and less experienced than a Flight Commander.  If you have a Cadet who's bright, has leadership skills, is on his/her way to becoming a Cadet Officer, guess who your Flight Sergeant should be?  If you have more than one Cadet like that, first count yourself lucky, and second rotate that position around a bit every now and then so your other bright Cadets can gain that experience.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

jimmydeanno

So your looking for the leadership position badges from the 70s to come back? 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JayT

Quote from: Psicorp on March 13, 2008, 01:04:56 PM

Essentially it's just being more knowledgable than a basic cadet and less experienced than a Flight Commander.  If you have a Cadet who's bright, has leadership skills, is on his/her way to becoming a Cadet Officer, guess who your Flight Sergeant should be?  If you have more than one Cadet like that, first count yourself lucky, and second rotate that position around a bit every now and then so your other bright Cadets can gain that experience.

So we should give a badge to someone based on.......what?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Psicorp

Quote from: JThemann on March 13, 2008, 01:36:46 PM
Quote from: Psicorp on March 13, 2008, 01:04:56 PM

So we should give a badge to someone based on.......what?

Based on your Squadron's policy.  If your squadron has (or institutes) a policy that Cadet leadership positions be designated on the body of the Cadet in that position, then your Cadet Flight Sargeant should have a badge.  If your squadron doesn't have such a policy (and/or doesn't want one), then there would be no badges to give out.  Commander's discretion can be a wonderful thing.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

jimmydeanno

Now that I think about this a little more, WIWAC, at encampment one year we used position indicators.  IIRC, NIN was the one who implemented them and IIRC, they were something along these lines.

They were worn 1/2 inch above the nameplate on blues.  In BDUs we had color coded hats.

From left to right:
1) Flight Sergeant
2) Flight Commander
3) Squadron Commander
4) XO and DC
5) Cadet Commander

I may be off on the number of stripes and such.  I don't remember them adding too much clarification for the basic cadets, by the end of the first day they were supposed to know their chain of command anyway...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SSgt Rudin

bla bla bla... like in most of the armed forces.

Really???? Like who? The Air force, Navy and Coast Guard have Command Badges, all the branches have special rank insignia for the first sergeant/command master chief/command chief/command sergeant major/etc. The Navy and Coast Guard even have a badge for the CMC saying what echelon they are the CMC for. But I have never seen a badge for LPO, LCPO, Flight Sergeant, Flight Commander, DIVO, Department Head, etc, etc.

More importantly if your cadets don't know that you are the flight sergeant you should be fired.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

MIKE

Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

Holy Crap......lets do this (bring back those badges) and we can finally get rid of CAP Rank altogether!  yay.......woo-hoo!  I love it   >:D
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

Same as squadron commander lol. Willing and able to do the job.
GEORGE LURYE

Hawk200

This doesn't sound like a practical thing to do, more like a desire for bling. People in your unit should know those in leadership positions. Such badges would indicate these positions outside the unit, in which case it's not really necessary.

I'm imagining that you're a flight sergeant? If you need a badge to show your position, you're not doing your job properly. A badge doesn't give you any more authority, or provide any additional benefit. It would simply be one more thing to buy.

wacapgh

I still have my Color Guard badge in the "big box o' patches and stuff". Probably got tossed in when they were discontinued.

It was more hassle than it was worth, making sure they got turned back in when a person rotated out of position, etc.

alamrcn

This patch seems to have been used by Civil Air Patrol over 20 years ago...

...But sorry, no solid details on it.

Here's the Texas Wing suppliment stating the Forest Green shoulder cord for cadet commanders...
http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/library/39-1sup_tx030125.pdf
I like it and think it's a good idea. Not like my wing that has a "Quarterly Cadet Drill Down Winner" shoulder cord - ew!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

JC004

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 13, 2008, 08:12:07 AM
Badges?  We don't need no stinking badges!  If you have to ask who's in charge, it isn't you!

Nice.   :)

SarDragon

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 13, 2008, 03:07:23 PM
Holy Crap......lets do this (bring back those badges) and we can finally get rid of CAP Rank altogether!  yay.......woo-hoo!  I love it   >:D

Not on your life!

I got to wear those miserable things WIWAC, and they were worse than worthless. We had more of them stuffed in a box with broken pins than we had cadets actually wearing them. I think the pins were made out of pot metal, as fragile as they were. On top of that, they tarnished easily, and the plating lasted through about four polishing evolutions.

No thank you.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret