New CAP recruiting site -LIVE-

Started by Lancer, February 21, 2008, 05:42:24 PM

JC004

It has to go down to fix things?  wtf. 

Maybe they're putting it in HTML instead of all Flash?  naaaa...

SAR-EMT1

Whitehouse.com ... bad place to promote us.

I think it was designed with good intent, but by the wrong people.
Benefits listed up to, US CAP reference etc...
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JC004

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 24, 2008, 04:38:10 AM
Whitehouse.com ... bad place to promote us.

still left over from the Clinton administration

CASH172

Did anyone happen to get any screenshots of the website?

CASH172

This is from the CAP Knowledgebase.

QuoteThe site and annual report should be available after the Winter National Board this weekend.

DC

It is live, again. However, the only change to I I noticed was the lack of the typewriter noises.

The sound on the videos still cuts out midway though, the tab still says U.S. Civil Air Patrol...

Are there any channels established for suggestions for the site?

BuckeyeDEJ

I think my concerns with the site, which seems to have the "right" content, are now with the packaging and design.

-- The "How We Get Our Hands Dirty" buttons are buried -- they should be more prominent (like, within the area that is seen before a user scrolls down the page).

-- The "U.S." needs to be nixed. Sorry, but -- to be blunt -- it's not, and never has, been part of CAP's name, regardless of what a former, disgraced national commander said. I'm not sure the paid staff at NHQ got the memo. Also, there's no "The" before "Civil Air Patrol" (ref: CAPR 900-3)

-- There's an awful lot of "air" in the main page. And I'm not sure why the National Board is advertised on this page!

-- Nitpicking, but the type on the command patch is seriously in need of work. Maybe the first thing to do is ditch the PC for a Mac, Illustrator and a decent type package?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

NIN

Guys, remember: this site is not directed at people who know ANYTHING about CAP..

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

♠SARKID♠

My bit on a bit of copyright...

One of the videos on the home page (top right) aka this one has what I think is a Blink 182 song in it.  Do we know if we've secured the rights to have that on our web page?  Is it not copyright infringement?  I've always seen that vid as one of the best CAP clips out there, but I'm not so sure its legally safe for us to display it.

NIN

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 02, 2008, 08:38:55 AM
My bit on a bit of copyright...

One of the videos on the home page (top right) aka this one has what I think is a Blink 182 song in it.  Do we know if we've secured the rights to have that on our web page?  Is it not copyright infringement?  I've always seen that vid as one of the best CAP clips out there, but I'm not so sure its legally safe for us to display it.
Where did you find that video? (I haven't found where its embedded)..

That was the ending of a much larger (and longer) video that was done by CA Wing's Scott Matthews about (I'm guessing) 5 years ago as a proof of concept.  Blink 182 was contacted and from what I recall from Scott, declined to allow its use..

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Lancer

Quote from: NIN on March 02, 2008, 02:31:07 PM

Main page, upper right quadrant.

If I remember my copyright law, you can use up to 10 percent of the original work, but no more than 30 seconds.

NIN

Quote from: Lancer on March 02, 2008, 05:46:01 PM
Quote from: NIN on March 02, 2008, 02:31:07 PM

Main page, upper right quadrant.

If I remember my copyright law, you can use up to 10 percent of the original work, but no more than 30 seconds.

GOtcha. Considering that ONCE AGAIN some "Not ready for prime time" Scott Matthews video got co-opted by "TPTB," I'd be surprised if that one survives another week on the site.

Like I said, that was a "proof of concept" video, it was never intended for full-up release. I have a copy of the full video, and its pretty good.  But where Scott is saying "Civil Air Patrol" at the very beginning, and it sounds cut off? Yeah, it _IS_ cut off because this is like the last 30 seconds of the original video and NOT INTENDED TO BE RELEASED TO THE REAL WORLD!

Gosh!

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Lancer

Quote from: NIN on March 02, 2008, 10:01:39 PM
NOT INTENDED TO BE RELEASED TO THE REAL WORLD!

Gosh!

Right, but as the person who created this site probably thought to him/herself, "Oh, well if it's on YouTube, then it must be ok to put on this site".

"Gosh!" is right  :D

jimmydeanno

I notice the moniker at the top of the page..."Everyday Heros, Everyday"

Is this an 'official' moniker we're going to be using elsewhere like "Performing Missions for America" was?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mikeylikey

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 06, 2008, 03:50:13 PM
I notice the moniker at the top of the page..."Everyday Heros, Everyday"

Is this an 'official' moniker we're going to be using elsewhere like "Performing Missions for America" was?

Better than "Everyday Heroes, Every Other Day"

What's up monkeys?

cnitas

Or "Everyday Heros, every Tuesday and ocassionally on the weekend."
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Al Sayre

I kind of like "We work at 2:00 a.m. so the Air Force doesn't have to."   >:D :D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

NIN

Honestly? I thought "Your Hometown Air Force" was a great one until I found out it was the Air Guard's thing. :(  Darn, missed it again.

So "More Than Meets the Skies" and "Everyday Heros, Every Day"  and "Missions for America" and what else?

(I once said to a guy who asked me about how CAP was funded: "Ever see that bumper sticker that says 'I'll be happy when the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber'?  Yeah, well, we really are the part of the Air Force that has to hold a bake sale."  That's not much of a recruiting slogan, however.)

Then there's my slogan: "Two and a half hours a week is a tough way to run an Air Force.."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Lancer

Quote from: NIN on March 06, 2008, 09:51:23 PM
So "More Than Meets the Skies" and "Everyday Heros, Every Day"  and "Missions for America" and what else?

You forgot everyone's favorite, "Citizens SERVING communities"  :)

EDIT: Somehow that makes me feel like I should be volunteering at the local soup kitchen.

Then there's my slogan: "Two and a half hours a week is a tough way to run an Air Force.."

I like it, let's roll with it...  ;D

arajca

That's one of the reasons we got the wing administrators.