Main Menu

Give me your thoughts

Started by flyguy06, September 20, 2005, 12:14:33 PM

flyguy06

Ok, I have been in CAP since 1984 both as a cadet and currently as a SM. I have been active except for the years I was in college and when I was active duty army, although even then, I was part of the Hawaii Wing and went to squadron meeetings at Hickam AB.

The cadet program has changed drastically over the years. Its seems more like a Boy scout organization than a military organization. I go around to differant units around my area and ask cadets what thing they would like to see better. Most of them say they wish it were more military. Ijoined CAP because I wanted that military atmosphere. I wanted somebody up in my face when Imessed up. The cadet program that I went through prepared me somuch for my military experience. It taught me discipline, and teamwork.

The problem Isee today is we, as senior members arent instilling those vaalues in our cadets. We come to meetings every week, and sit and watch the cadets do stuff, and go home. I was a TAC officer at an encampment one year and I was told not to interfere and let the cadet chain of comand run things. I told themthat I did not take a week off of work to come up her eand babysit. I want to get involved in the training. I am a 17 year army vet. I think I have a lot to offer about leadership. This might seem trivial but for example, I love to call cadence, but I wasnt allowed todo that. Ilove to lead PT,but I wasnt allowed to do that.

Think about it like this. I was in college ROTC. Now, we had a cadet chain that ran the battalion, but we also had Army instructor thatguided us and mentored us and they stepped in whe we were messing up. Now, if college students have thta, dont you think high school kids need that and more? I feel my job as Deputy for cadets is to mentor to these young people and mold them into leaders wheather it be military leaders, corporate leaders, or volunteers. The original purporse of the cadet program in WW2 was to prepare the youth to be CAP SM's. From visiting other units what I  see is this. The cadet program is put onthe backburner. Most composite squadrons focus on ES. and usually cant find anyone to run the cadet program, so what usually winds up happening is a paent that wants to support their child will volunteer to help. The problem is although that parent means well, they relly dont have the skills or the knowledge to runthe cadet program. You need more than reading 50-16. You need to know leadership and a little about the military. Then when their kid leaves, they go withthem.

We need more young SM's wth military experience. But, most young adults have to work and dont have the time to dedicate to CAP as they want to.  By the time they retire, thay are kinda outof touch with young people.

I see no problem with push up for punishment. I would rather do push ups when I mess up than getting written up and go in my record. The problem was senior cadets were getting out of hand and abusing there rank, but thats where proper adult mentorship comes in at. You have to mold senior cadets and teach them how tolead and how to disicpline effectivley. Push ups never hurt anyone  I would never let a senior cadet abuse my junior cadets. They would be fied onthe spot.

So, there you have it. My views on the cadet program today. I would like to know your thoughts. Thanks.

JaL5597

Granted the military aspect of CAP can be considered lacking.  There needs to be some sort of happy medium.  Maybe I have had a diffrent experience than you in that respect.  My sister made a comment to me about her cadet experience.  She told me its like cadet staff members never allow in flight cadets to graduate out of boot camp. 

On the other hand of that you get alot of "false military" out of people who never have been in the service.  They try to clain that "this is the way the military does it" when they do not have a clue.  I was publicly reprimanded by one of those types of people for referring to my sister, as well, my sister.

TAC- Train Adivse Counsel  But who?  The cadet staff.  Your there to provide the senior member support and presense for the in flight cadets.  Your also there to help the cadet staff in your flight.  This does not mean you are there to interfere with the chain of command. 

Pushups- no go.  National Headquarters has defined those as hazing.  Doesn't matter what you think may be right or benefical about them.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to have highly motivated cadets and helping them mature through the program.  Its up to you and your staff to provide the guidence and leadership to the cadets. 

When I was a squadron leadership officer and acting deputy for cadets I would spend all my time on a meeting night with them.  If I saw something wrong I would usually point it out to the senior most cadet present and let them handle it.  It was not my job or place to correct the in flight cadets.

flyguy06

And thats where I disagree. You said I am not to interfere in the cadet chain of command. You make it sound like I am a guest and dont get involved. I believe that the senior member in cadets should be very involved. THose are my cadets. My job is to mold them and train them to be leaders. Yes, I train the cadet staff. But I also am responsible for the junior cadets as well. I go back to my example of colleg eROTC. Every level of ROTC had an army instructor. I am not going to place allresponsibility in the hands of a 16 year old. thats how hazing and abuse start.

Plus,in my unit, they are all new cadets. I have no secnior cadet staff, so, I am the one holding formations, and drilling them and teaching military skills, because there is nobody else that wants or knows how to do it.

I am aware of the hazing policy and I dont do it. Iwas melrely expressing my disagreement with it.

JaL5597

Quote from: flyguy06 on September 20, 2005, 04:27:49 PM
And thats where I disagree. You said I am not to interfere in the cadet chain of command. You make it sound like I am a guest and dont get involved. I believe that the senior member in cadets should be very involved. THose are my cadets. My job is to mold them and train them to be leaders. Yes, I train the cadet staff. But I also am responsible for the junior cadets as well. I go back to my example of colleg eROTC. Every level of ROTC had an army instructor. I am not going to place allresponsibility in the hands of a 16 year old. thats how hazing and abuse start.

Plus,in my unit, they are all new cadets. I have no secnior cadet staff, so, I am the one holding formations, and drilling them and teaching military skills, because there is nobody else that wants or knows how to do it.

I am aware of the hazing policy and I dont do it. Iwas melrely expressing my disagreement with it.

No...

I said observe and tell the cadet in charge whats wrong and let them handle it.  Otherwise you are doing all the work yourself and not letting them learn.  Otherwise they will simply learn to depend ont he seniors to handle everything for them.

The way I saw it was the only reason I had to step in was a safety or hazing issue.  Otherwise we have to let the cadets learn.  And they are not going to learn unless we allow them to screw up.  If I felt they did not handle situations correctly I would correct them. 

There needs to be a happy medium about leading them.  We shouldn't be doing all the work for them but at the same time we should not be totally hands off.