Main Menu

Favorite quotes

Started by notaNCO forever, February 08, 2008, 07:30:35 PM

notaNCO forever

The object of war is not to die for your country but make the other b@$terd die for his. Gen Patton

Duct tape is like the force it has a light side and a dark side but most of all it controls the universe. Carl Zwanzig

I'll post more latter.

DNall

Somebody around here has my favorite on their tag line already...
"Duty then is the sublimest word in the English languarge; you can never do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E Lee

You want some good &/or entertaining ones, take a read around socnet.

Maj Ballard

Ok I have to be a word-nerd here and point out that the correct word is "quotation."  ;D

QUOTE is a verb.
QUOTATION is a noun.

One quotes a quotation.

That is all.  >:D
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

JayT

"The future you had yesterday, won't be the same future you'll have, tomorrow."

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

♠SARKID♠

Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war! - Shakespeare
The best gold can be found at the bottom of barrels of ****.
I don't have a photograph, but you can have my footprints.  They're in my socks upstairs. - Groucho Marx

Those plus the ones in my signature.

notaNCO forever

Like the ones in the signature. Are you a Dougles Adams fan?

Flying Pig

Conduct every vehicle stop extending the olive branch of peace, while having a tactical plan to kill everyone inside the vehicle. -Gordon Graham-Attorney  (Some of you here will flame out on that but since 3 of my shootings have been on vehicle stops.... ;))

Good judgement comes from experience.  And experience, well, that comes from bad judgement.

LtCol White

"Jesus loves you. Everyone else thinks you're an a**hole"
- Bourbon St t-shirt

>:D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: NCO forever on February 08, 2008, 08:22:56 PM
Like the ones in the signature. Are you a Dougles Adams fan?

Only when he's writing sober.  Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was outstanding, but by the 4th book he was pretty heavy on the sauce and couldn't write to save his life.

Walkman

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 6 sharpening my ax" -Abraham Lincoln

"Hell is the person you are, someday meeting the person you could have been" -John Crowe

"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security" -Benjamin Franklin

And my favorite from Roosevelt:
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

BigMojo

I have 2:

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
~Vince Lombardi

It's weird that photographers spend years or even a whole lifetime, trying to capture moments that added together, don't even amount to a couple of hours. 
~James Lalropui Keivom
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

SAR-EMT1

" Whatever you are, be a good one"
- Abe Lincoln

" The gloves are for YOUR safety"
- daily phrase to patients
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

smj58501

"You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month."

"You don't have enough talent to win on talent alone."

-Herb Brooks
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

smj58501

"You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four."

- Dan Birdwell

"Winning is a great deodorant"

- John Madden

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

- Joe Theismann

"This crowd has gone deadly silent... a Cinderella story outta nowhere. Former greenskeeper and now about to become The Masters champion."

- Carl Spackler

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."

-Judge Smails

Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

DrDave

"You knew the job was dangerious when you took it, Fred"
                                   -- Superchicken

"Hell, the fall'l probably kill ya."  Butch to Sundance when they jump off the cliff into the river and Sundance says he's afraid to jump because he can't swim.

"Never send a ferret to do a weasel's job"  -- Louie the talking beer lizard.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

Cecil DP

If you're looking for sympathy try the dictionary-It's somewhere between S**T and syphillis. -M. P. McEleney

Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

notaNCO forever

Marines don't die they just go to hell and regroup >:D cool bumper sticker

Eeyore

"Nothing in the word can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

-Calvin Coolidge

"Evil is short lived. Never judge of the whole round of life by the mere segment you can see. The whole is, in the end, perfect."

-Frank Norris

"And victorious in war, shall be made glorious in peace."

-Wars of the Roses

notaNCO forever

Everybody is born and dies the same way it's what we do in beatween that counts.

LtCol White

What you are is God's gift to you. What you make of yourself is your gift to God.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

SarDragon

A selection from my rotating sig quotes:

"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
It seems to me most strange that men should fear;
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come."
-- Julius Caesar, Act 2, scene 2

"Basic Flying Rules - 1. Try to stay in the middle of the air. 2. Do not go near the edges of it. 3. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

"Education: That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the foolish their lack of understanding." -- Ambrose Bierce, writer (1842-1914)

"Radioactive cats have eighteen half-lives."

"Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty."

"Time is the best teacher; Unfortunately it kills all its students."

"Six essential elements of *good training*: you gotta be cold, wet, tired, hungry, pissed off and doing something stupid."

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."

"667 - the neighbor of the beast"

"When working with electronics, my best advice is to do whatever it takes to prevent the smoke from leaking out of the components.  Electronic parts require the smoke to stay inside to function correctly!"

"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle.
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."
-- Macbeth, Act V, Scene v

"In America the young are always ready to give to those who are older than themselves the full benefits of their inexperience." -- Oscar Wilde

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." -- T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) from Seven Pillars of Wisdom

"Remember this: Even if you win the rat race, youre still a rat." -- Rev. William Sloane Coffin

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

"The Army has doctrine, the Navy has tradition, and the Air Force is new." -- anon.

"The one good thing about repeating your misteaks is that you know when to cringe."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RogueLeader

Stealth is nice, but when you want to make a lasting impression, a blaster does just fine.- Han Solo

Warlord, I'm not a rich man, or a particularly an ambitious man.  You should take that into account.  That means you'll never cost me as much as I have cost you.  But I could let you kiss my Wokkiee.- Han Solo to Warlord Zsinj

Make the most of today-not tomorrow, because only HE knows when your last tomorrow was today.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Michael

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."

"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more. Nobody is going to win a 5,000 meter race after running an easy 2 miles. Not with me. If I lose forcing the pace all the way, well, at least I can live with myself."

- Steve Prefontaine

Bill Coons, C/Capt

mikeylikey

"Unless you are a hemorrhoid, get off my Ass"  ~ Some hillbilly bumpersticker I saw at a state fair Demo Derby.
What's up monkeys?

Johnny Yuma

"I should killed that sonofa[censored] years ago to keep him from breeding, son."
Gary Busey in Rough Riders

"Those [darn]Yankee Spanish Mausers are hard to find, but we are finding them, we are killing them and we are advancing!"

Spacing - MIKE

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

RogueLeader

Support C.A.P. Search & Rescue: GET LOST!
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

a2capt

"Regs? Ah, those are just guidelines."

..the things you have to put up with.

Hoser

Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.
Hermann Goering

Reality must take precedence over public relations. For nature cannot be fooled.
Richard Feynman

For those who place their faith in fire, them by their faith shall be repaid
Quicksilver Messenger Service

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it.

Edward R. Murrow

No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots.
Barbara Ehrenreich

What do we mean by patriotism in the context of our times? I venture to suggest that what we mean is a sense of national responsibility ... a patriotism which is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.
Adlai Stevenson

It is fortunate for governments that men do not think
Hitler

The heresy of one age becomes the orthodoxy of the next.
Hellen Keller

A generation which ignores history has no past—and no future.

If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!

What a wonderful world it is that has girls in it!

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors and miss

Courage is the complement of fear. A man who is fearless cannot be courageous.(He is also a fool).

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects!

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.

Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again

Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anytbing from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect. But there is no reward at all for doing what other people expect of you, and to do so is not merely difficult, but impossible. It is easier to deal with a footpad than it is with the leech who wants "just a few minutes of your time, please--this won't take long." Time is your total capital, and the minutes of your life are painfully few. If you allow yourself to fall into the vice of agreeing to such requests, they quickly snowball to the point where these parasites will use up 100 percent of your time--and squawk for more! So learn to say No--and to be rude about it when necessary. Otherwise you will not have time to carry out your duty, or to do your own work, and certainly no time for love and happiness. The termites will nibble away your life and leave none of it for you. (This rule does not mean that you must not do a favor for a friend, or even a stranger. But let the choice be yours. Don't do it because it is "expected" of you.)

Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.

A committee is a lifeform with six or more legs and no brain.
Lazarus Long

Smoked carp is just as good as smoked salmon when you ain't got smoked salmon
Rancid Crabtree

Spacing - MIKE

SStradley

Quote from: DNall on February 08, 2008, 07:52:42 PM
Somebody around here has my favorite on their tag line already...
"Duty then is the sublimest word in the English languarge; you can never do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E Lee.

That would be me.

Here is another Lee quote that I like"

A true man of honor feels humbled himself when he cannot help humbling others.
Scott Stradley Maj, CAP

"Duty is the sublimest word in the English language."  R.E. Lee

♠SARKID♠

"Pull stick back plane go up, pull stick all the way back plane go down." -Andy Stockhousen, CAP

"Someday they are going to make an airplane were the cockpit isn't an afterthought." -Lt Col Dan Donovan, CFII

"Procedure, procedure, procedure. Do that and you'll never go wrong." -Lt Col Dan Donovan, CFII

"When the paperwork equals the weight of the airplane, it's time to fly." -Lt Col Dan Donovan, CFII

"LOST would be a boring show if we responded"

bosshawk

I have many, but here are three that I particularly like:

We get too soon old and too late smart: Pennsylvania Dutch saying.

We don't need all kinds, we just have them.  Anonymous

If it sounds like it is too good to be true, it probably is.  Anonymous
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

notaNCO forever

Those who don't read the newspaper are uninformed those who do are missinformed. Samuel Clemens/Mark twain.

Fifinella

"Would a cow lick Lot's wife?"

"I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved."

"The power to obstruct, exercised by self-important people, is the real bureaucratic evil." – Louis B. Lundborg

"Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again."

"A leader is best when people barely know he exists. Less good when they obey and acclaim him. Worse when they fear and despise him. Fail to honor people and they fail to honor you. But of a good leader, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will all say: 'We did this ourselves.' "—Former U.S. Senator Alan Cranston   

"He who wills the end must will the means." – Greek proverb

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it." – John Ruskin

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.  What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value." - Thomas Paine

"They forgot what it is to know, when one is hungry, cold, or tired to death, that one has got to go on whatever happens." – Ibid

"When the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again." – Edith Hamilton

"The day people stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them." – Colin Powell, My American Journey

"There's a difference between interest and commitment.  When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit.  When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results." – Art Turock

"A Christian is a person whose life makes it easier for others to believe in God." – Norman Vincent Peale
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

mamadinos

"He that blows the coals in a quarrel he has nothing to do with has no right to complain if the sparks fly in his face."   -Benjamin Franklin

"The only thing we seem to learn from history is that we learn nothing from history."  -Friedrich Hegel

"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple" - Dr. Seuss

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you're dead and rotten, either write something worth reading or do things worth the writing." - Benjamin Franklin

"People will accept your idea much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first." -David H. Comins
Michelle King, 1Lt, CAP
DCS, DO, SPO, ESO
Barksdale Comp. Sq.
SWR-LA 005

smj58501

"It's not a lie, if you believe it"
- George Costanza

"This was supposed to be the summer of George!"
- George Costanza

"Ask not what I can do for you. Ask what you can do for me"
- Jerry Seinfeld

"I was in the pool, I was in the pool"
- George Costanza

"No soup for you"
- Soup Nazi

"Not that there's anything wrong with that"
- Jerry Seinfeld
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

mikeylikey

A few faves from M*A*S*H

"We all know it's brutal up there at the front, especially those of us at the rear"
Frank Burns

"Sex happens to be one of the most important things in life in as much as each one of us is one or the other gender of it once we're born, which is the direct result of the act of it."
Henry Blake

"I'm sick of hearing about the wounded. What about all the thousands of wonderful guys who are fighting this war without any of the credit or the glory that always goes to those lucky few who just happen to get shot."
Frank Burns

Finally a few from my father.....

"Mike I am so proud of the fact that you didn't embarrass your mother or I while you were growing up, because well, I just don't know if we could have kept loving you".

"Son, let me tell you what your Grandfather told me at your age, if you get a girl pregnant don't come home"

"Now that you are going off to College in a few months, I thought I would help you pack.  We decided to make your room into an office, and I start work tomorrow, which means you gotta get out of here tonight"

"Hey Mike this summer, we were thinking about taking a vacation when you get back from school.  However, your mother believes it best that since you are an independent man now, that the trip to the Bahamas should just be for me and her".

What's up monkeys?

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on February 09, 2008, 04:49:56 AM
"I should killed that sonofa[censored] years ago to keep him from breeding, son."

"Those [darn]Yankee Spanish Mausers are hard to find, but we are finding them, we are killing them and we are advancing!"

Spacing - MIKE

MIKE!!!

You're messing with my Chi here! ;D ;D ;D
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Tater

"You love a lot of things if you live around them.  But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not before nor after, that is as lovely as a great airplane.

And men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.

Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is to a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be."

Ernest Hemingway - Colliers 1944

Roy Knight
Airplane Driver
Fallbrook Squadron 87
CAWG

genejackson

"I wanted to be a Marine, but my parents were married"   Author unknown, but I just love that one.
Gene Jackson
COL (R) US Army
Danville VA

♠SARKID♠

"Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics."

"Well you know what they say, 'People in glass houses sink ships!'". - Boondock Saints

"Abandon all hope ye who enter here" - just friggin epic

"Delicious today, diahrrea tommorrow. I'm gonna be leakin' like the Exxon Valdeese." - Anthony Bourdaine

"Some people talk so much they could time out a simplex channel." - Me

"I sound my barbaric YAWP over the rooftops of the world." - Walt Whitman

Stepmom - "Danny, what are you doing?"
Me - "I'm on the internet."
Stepmom - "Well pause it and come to dinner."

"Hearing nuns' confessions is like being stoned to death with popcorn." - Fulton J. Sheen

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

"The secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground, and miss." - Douglas Adams

LtCol White

"Anything that's not nailed down is mine. Anything I can pry loose is not nailed down"

"If at first you don't succeed, change the rules and cheat"

>:D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

jimmydeanno

"I reject your reality and insert my own!" Adam Savage (seems applicable to CAP...A LOT)

"Live free or die, for death is not the worst of all fates."-General John Stark

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."-Kierkegaard
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

teesquared

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Benjamin Franklin

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.
Benjamin Franklin

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
Theodore Roosevelt

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president... is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

flyerthom

"It's five o clock somewhere"  Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffet.

"Beer. It's not just for breakfast anymore."  somewhere on the internet.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." President John F. Kennedy.

"the opposite of fear is love" Anne Hallmark

TC

Trung Si Ma

OK - I'll play ...

Everybody's a hero ... in the club ... after the fourth drink.

Flying is better than walking. Walking is better than running. Running is better than crawling. All of these however, are better than extraction by a Med-Evac, even if it is technically, a form of flying.

"You have the right to remain silent." is always EXCELLENT advice.

The weight of your equipment is proportional to the cube of the time you have been carrying it.

Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid.

It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.

Never tell the Platoon Sergeant you have nothing to do.

Push to test... Release to detonate.

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us." George Orwell

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight: nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety: is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions and blood of better men than himself."   - John Stuart Mill

God and the Soldier, we adore,
In time of danger, not before.
The danger passed and all things righted,
God is forgotten and the Soldier slighted.
Kipling

"If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr. (1963)

"This country was founded by religious nuts with guns."
-- P.J. O'Rourke

Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

addo1

"We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded."

-Captain Richard Winters
Co E, 101st Airborne Division, WWII
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

Fireball

"The first qualification to be in Special Operations, you have to look cool in sunglasses." - Lt. Bling

"... when the proposal got to NHQ, they took a S**T and fell back in it." - Lt. Bling

R. N. Brock, Maj, CAP
NCWG

wuzafuzz

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt

When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty."
Theodore Roosevelt

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan

"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Trung Si Ma

This passage is from the book "The Centurions" by Jean Larteguy

"I'd like to have two armies: one for display, with lovely guns, tanks, little soldiers, fanfares, staffs, distinguished and doddering generals, and dear little regimental officers who would be deeply concerned over their general's bowel movements or their colonel's piles:  an army that would be shown for a modest fee on every fairground in the country.

The other would be the real one, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflaged battle dress, who would not be put on display but from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught.  That's the army in which I should like to fight."

Trung Si Ma

Flying Truisms..... =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Weather forecasts are horoscopes with numbers.

Airspeed, altitude or brains: two are always needed to successfully complete the flight.

Flashlights are tubular metal containers kept in a flight bag for the purpose of storing dead batteries.

Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding it or doing anything about it.

Just remember, if you crash because of weather, your funeral will be held on a sunny day.

What is the similarity between air traffic controllers and pilots? If a pilot screws up, the pilot dies; if an air traffic controller screws up, the pilot dies.

Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is dangerous.

It's always better to be down here wishing you were up there than up there wishing you were down here.

The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool.  When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No one has ever collided with the sky.

A 'good' landing is one from which you can walk away. A 'great' landing is one after which they can use the plane again.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival. Large angle of arrival, small probability of survival and vice versa.

Stay out of clouds.  The silver lining everyone keeps talking about might be another airplane going in the opposite direction. Reliable sources also report that mountains have been known to hide out in clouds.

There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately no one knows what they are.

Helicopters can't fly; they're just so ugly the earth repels them.

If all you can see out of the window is ground that's going round and round and all you can hear is commotion coming from the passenger compartment, things are not at all as they should be.

In the ongoing battle between objects made of aluminum going hundreds of miles per hour and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose.

It's always a good idea to keep the pointy end going forward as much as possible. Remember, gravity is not just a good idea. It's the law.

The three most worthless things in aviation are:
   Altitude above you
   Runway behind you
   Fuel back at the FBO.

There are Rules and there are Laws:
The rules are made by men who think that they know better how to fly your airplane than you. The Laws (of Physics) were made by the Great One.  You can, and sometimes should, suspend the Rules but you can never suspend the Laws.

It is a tacit, yet profound admission of the pre-eminence of flying in the hierarchy of the human spirit that those who seek to control Aviators via threats always threaten to take one's Wings and not one's life.

The ultimate responsibility of the Pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish.

SarDragon

One more for aviation:

"Basic Flying Rules - 1. Try to stay in the middle of the air. 2. Do not go near the edges of it. 3. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Oh, and the best one of all:

"Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous, but to a degree even greater than the sea, is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect."
Cap. A.G. Lamplaugh, British Aviation Insurance Corp., ~1930
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

KFreeman

Winston Churchill's "never so few" and "iron curtain" speechs.

He was a real wordsmith.

Regards,
Ken
Authentic Antique Aviator

Gunner C

King Henry V:

What's he that wishes so?
My cousin Westmorland. No, my fair cousin:
If we are marked to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will, I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It ernes me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires:
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England:
God's peace, I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more, methinks, would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more.
Rather proclaim it presently through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart. His passport shall be made
And crowns for convoy put into his purse:
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is called the Feast of Crispian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a-tiptoe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall see this day and live t'old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say "To-morrow is Saint Crispian":
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars
And say "These wounds I had on Crispin's day."
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remembered.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now abed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day. (IV, iii)

teesquared

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.   ;)
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

Hawk200

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on February 19, 2008, 03:38:48 AM
Helicopters can't fly; they're just so ugly the earth repels them.

Negative. They beat the air into submission.

jeders

You have to go out, you don't have to come back.

Yes, right, ok, wait, huh, no, yes, right... - Me trying to figure something out
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Stonewall

"When in doubt, do what's right.  If you aren't sure what's right, do what's hard". -Lt Col Gordon W. McIntosh, CAP, Ret.

"Before you can break the rules, you have to know them".  -I said it, but I'm sure someone else did before me.

"Trust is not a two-way street.  Just because you trust me does not mean I trust you". -Me (unless someone else came up with it)

"I never lose arguments because I don't argue about anything I don't know for sure". -Me (unless someone else came up with it)

Sitting around a fire during a winter FTX with our feet next to the fire:
Random cadet:  "I smell boot burning"
C/Lt Col Langone (Ret): "Just let me know when you smell sock"

"We mock what we don't understand". -Spies Like Us (movie)

"Send lawyers, guns and money". -Warren Zevon (song: "Lawyers, Guns and Money")

"That's like saying a PJ forgot his blow dryer; a SEAL didn't bring a volley ball; an SF dude didn't work every angle for max per diem; a Ranger doesn't think about patrolling.  In short, it's blasphemy." -Unknown
Serving since 1987.

RickFranz

"Everything rises and falls on leadership" Dr. Lee Robertson
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Bluelakes 13

"Just because they make that uniform in that size, does NOT mean you should wear it"

Names withheld to protect the guilty innocent.

davedove

"Not all that glitters is gold; not all who wander are lost."  J.R.R. Tolkien
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

♠SARKID♠

"Some people are like slinkys. They aren't really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

SarDragon

"My mind doesn't just wander, it gallops erratically."

Me
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

nesagsar

Fun quotes

It's beutifull man!
-ATS

Ever0changin.
-Com, Law and ethics

Is everyone ready for...CHEERFULL SERVICE! (clap, clap ,clap)
-OA

What is the admonition?
Is that some sort of a password or something?
-OA

You do realize that your inability to find reciepts when you need them will lead to your inevitable downfall right?
-Halo 3 launch party

I cant preorder it right now Abbey.
But why not?
You know we love you Abbey.
I get the feeling that most people are lying to me when they say that.
Only 15 percent.
That makes me feel better.
-Halo 3 launch party

I hope you like pie!
-Halo 2 beatdown

Tampons are essential first aid tools.
-Shawn H

Can I poke it?
-Scott O

Oh god I wish I had teddy bears!
-Abbey

This serves no purpose whatsoever.
Yeah it does, its entertaining!
-Abbey and Scott

Well I like rolo's but I never [censored] about it.
-Shawn H

...Seggendo in piuma
in fama non si vien, né sotto coltre,
sanza la qual chi sua vita consuma
cotal vestigo in terra di sé lascia
qual fummo in aere ed in acqua la schiuma.
-Divinia Comedia

"Silence fills the empty grave, now that I am gone. But my mind is not at rest, for questions linger on. I will ask, and you will answer."
-Halo 2

"This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded. This one is but flesh and faith, and is the more deluded."
-Halo 2

When I joined the Corps, we didn't have any fancy-shmancy tanks, we had sticks...two sticks and a rock for a whole platoon. And we had to share the rock! Buck up, boy! You're one very lucky Marine!"
-Halo 2

Three hours ago, this man was in a battle. Two hours ago we operated on him. He's got a fifty-fifty chance. We win some, we lose some. That's what it's all about... no promises, no guaranteed survival... no 'saints in surgical garb.' Our willingness, our experience, our technique are not enough. Guns and bombs and anti-personnel mines have more power to take life than we have to preserve it. Not a very happy ending to a movie. But then again, no war is a movie.
-MASH

There are certain rules about a war. Rule number one is young men die. And rule number two is doctors can't change rule number one.
-MASH

Theres no crying in manland!
-Cathy F

Don't dream it, be it
-RHPS

Hey I think someone just shot a torpedo at us!
-Hunt for Red October

Due to the number of people bored last Sunday, next Sunday will be canceled.
-MASH

A member of an elite paramilitary organization: "Eagle Scouts."
-Red Dawn

I'm a wild and an untamed thing.
I'm a bee with a deadly sting.
You get a hit and your mind goes ping.
Your heart'll thump and your blood will sing.
So let the party and the sounds rock on.
We're gonna shake it `til the life has gone.
Rose tint my world, keep me safe from my trouble and pain.

I can save the universe with a kettle and a piece of string, and look at me I'm wearing a vegetable!

Nuggets of wisdom

'I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.

'BREAKFST.COM halted . . . cereal port not responding!

CONGRESS.SYS Corrupted:  Re-boot Washington D.C (Y/N)?

File not found. Should I fake it? (Y/N)

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes.  That way, when you criticize him, you are a mile away from him and you have his shoes.

I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a while lot more as they get older.  Then it dawned on me - they are cramming for their final exam.

Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?

Save the whales.  Collect the whole set.

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Quantum mechanics:  The dreams stuff is made of.

Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.

How many of you believe in telekinesis?  Raise my hand...

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Warning:  Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Consciousness:  that annoying time between naps.

Be nice to your kids.  They'll choose your nursing home.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather...Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

As long as there are tests, there will be prayer in public schools.

When you do a good deed get a receipt, in case heaven is like the IRS.

I'm not just a gardener; I'm a Plant Manager.

You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Someday we'll look back on all this.  And while we're looking we'll probably plow into a parked car.

Someday my ship is going to come in.  I'll probably be at the airport when it does.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now, I am so far behind I'll live forever.

I live in my own little world, but it's okay...they know me here.

Regular naps prevent old age...especially if you take them while driving.

Sex is hereditary.  If your parents never had it, chances are you won't either.

If God had intended for man to use the metric system, Jesus would have only had ten disciples!

I don't approve of political jokes...I've seen too many of them get elected.

If you mix Rogaine with Viagra the result is hair like Don King.

If American mothers feed their little children with tiny spoons and forks, what do Chinese mothers use?  Toothpicks?

If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong?

If a person with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?

Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

I am a nobody.  Nobody is perfect.  Therefore I am perfect.

If you take an Oriental person and spin him around several times, does he become disoriented?

Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Why is it that if someone tells you there are 1 billion stars in the universe you will believe them, but if they tell you a wall has wet paint, you have to touch it to be sure?

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on
your computer." .

"Cats are smarter than dogs.  You can't get eight cats to pull a sled
through snow."

"Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and get back to you
later."

"There are many intelligent species in the universe.  They are all owned by
cats."

Dogs believe they are human.  Cats believe they are God.

I was born intelligent - education ruined me.

Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright
until you hear them speak.

Love thy neighbor.
But don't get caught.

Love is photogenic
It needs darkness to develop.

Children in backseats cause accidents.
Accidents in backseats cause children.

The main purpose of holding children's parties is to remind
yourself that there are children more awful than your own.

Children seldom misquote you.  In fact, they usually repeat word
for word what you shouldn't have said.

A male gynecologist is like an auto mechanic who never owned a car.

A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what he can't.

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be
a horrible warning.

I love cooking with wine.  Sometimes I even use it in the food. 

The secret to life. Breathe in. Breathe out. Repeat.

isuhawkeye

Gunner C

lordmonar

"It's what we do"

C/SrA R. Whiting
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jeders

Quote from: lordmonar on April 02, 2008, 01:09:34 PM
"It's what we do"

C/SrA R. Whiting

Definitely my new favorite CAP quote.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse