Main Menu

Google Earth

Started by Major_Chuck, August 31, 2005, 01:16:16 AM

Major_Chuck

If anyone is interested, Google is Beta Testing a program called "Google Earth". 

You need to download it to your computer but once you have you are able to look at satalite images of virtually anywhere in the world.

I was able to zoom in on these aircraft carriers.

And a screen shot of Langley AFB flightline.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

BlueLakes1

I just got that last week myself, but I had to go check out all the bomber bases first. Oddly enough, large chunks of the Nevada desert don't show up when you try to zoom in on them though.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

Major_Chuck

Depending on where you 'go to' the images are either very sharp or distorted.  I was suprised at the fact that I could zoom in on military installations.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Major_Chuck on August 31, 2005, 01:16:16 AM
If anyone is interested, Google is Beta Testing a program called "Google Earth". 

You need to download it to your computer but once you have you are able to look at satalite images of virtually anywhere in the world.

Heh Heh, i live over by those aircraft carriers :)

SarDragon

Quote from: CALcadet144 on August 31, 2005, 02:15:09 AM

And where in Virginia do you live? You screen name gives me the indication that you might be living in California where the carriers are positioned more like this! [Yes, the pic has been 'Shopped. The carriers weren't in port when the Google pic was taken.]

As for detail, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason. Places I might expect to be fuzzy aren't, and other illogical places are fuzzy. I'm sure it depends on when the pix were taken, and possibly which satellite took them, but check out this lat-long - 37 d 16' 02.64" N, 115 d 48' 05.78" W (copy and paste right from here, it's tested). Once it's done moving and zooming, zoom out to an eye altitude of @ 11 miles and see what you got.

After you have a good look and make a guess, go to the layer menu on the lower left and turn on Geographic Features (almost at the bottom), and then zoom back in to about 20,000 feet . The location name will pop right up. Surprise!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

dwb

It's a pretty impressive piece of software.

I can see my shed in the upper right hand corner, and both of my decks (my house is a raised ranch.  There is a deck off of the second floor, and stairs down to a lower deck).

The picture is at least a year out of date, becuase the swing set is still there, and we had the previous owners remove it before we closed.  My big tree in the front yard also appears to be laying in the road, but I can assure you it's upright. :)

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: SarDragon on August 31, 2005, 07:15:02 AM
Quote from: CALcadet144 on August 31, 2005, 02:15:09 AM

And where in Virginia do you live? You screen name gives me the indication that you might be living in California where the carriers are positioned more like this! [Yes, the pic has been 'Shopped. The carriers weren't in port when the Google pic was taken.]

As for detail, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason. Places I might expect to be fuzzy aren't, and other illogical places are fuzzy. I'm sure it depends on when the pix were taken, and possibly which satellite took them, but check out this lat-long - 37 d 16' 02.64" N, 115 d 48' 05.78" W (copy and paste right from here, it's tested). Once it's done moving and zooming, zoom out to an eye altitude of @ 11 miles and see what you got.

After you have a good look and make a guess, go to the layer menu on the lower left and turn on Geographic Features (almost at the bottom), and then zoom back in to about 20,000 feet . The location name will pop right up. Surprise!

That's Virginia??? That looks like an aerial view of Naval Station 32nd St. ???

Major_Chuck

Definitely Virginia and our muddy river water.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

SarDragon

Quote from: CALcadet144 on August 31, 2005, 11:16:30 PM

That's Virginia??? That looks like an aerial view of Naval Station 32nd St. ???
They don't park the carriers at 32nd St, they park them at North Island, as pictured in my post. Another clue is the Lat-Long at the bottom of the pic. Compare with the pic in the link below.

Here's what 32nd St looks like.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major_Chuck

The piers are right off of Willouby Bay.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Cam89

Wow,  amazing how far electronics have gotte. We are able to go and take pics of places that you can't get to by walking to.
Carrisa Marinshaw
    C/Amn

abysmal

When the day comes that you can get real-time imagery, then we know we have "arrived".
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: abysmal on September 02, 2005, 05:29:42 AM
When the day comes that you can get real-time imagery, then we know we have "arrived".

I would have loved that for looking at the damage back home for Hurricane Katrina.
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

CMetzger42

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on September 04, 2005, 05:15:07 PM
Quote from: abysmal on September 02, 2005, 05:29:42 AM
I would have loved that for looking at the damage back home for Hurricane Katrina.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=New+Orleans&t=e

abysmal

This is such a great peice of technology.
Am looking at renting a house in Hawaii for vacation.
Was able to zoom right in on that rental and look at it.
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

JCSCADET

dude that is cool i just downloaded it last night. it is pretty call cause you can see actual places. im fixin to go and find the USAFA. does anyone have that address?

Major_Chuck

If you know the Zip Code you can enter that.  You may even type in United States Air Force Academy.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

SarDragon

Has anyone gone to the Lat-Long in my earlier post? Did you manage to identify it before zooming in? Just wondering.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CMetzger42

Quote from: SarDragon on September 07, 2005, 02:44:31 AM
Has anyone gone to the Lat-Long in my earlier post? Did you manage to identify it before zooming in? Just wondering.

Unfortunately, typing in the lat/long without the "d"s made it zoom in automatically.

SarDragon

I suppose my instructions should have been more specific - to turn off the Geographic Features before doing the search. Then the name of the location won't show up.

Anyway, how many have ID'd the location?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret