Main Menu

Feedback

Started by Stonewall, December 07, 2007, 05:35:13 PM

Stonewall

Here is some feedback.

Just because 3 or 4 CAP Talkers have "hashed a topic out" last year, doesn't mean it should be locked because a few different guys are discussing the same topic.  It's one thing if people are slammin' people and it gets way off topic, but new members that join or old members that were absent from a topic may find themselves discussing, debating or hashing out ideas that have already been discussed.  Doesn't mean that they don't have an opinion, good idea or some new input to a topic.

Again, I agree with locking threads that get too rediculous to comprehend and/or folks are getting nailed to the cross, and of course, OPSEC violations, but come on, who cares if a couple new guys want to have their say in a topic that has been discussed before?  Like many have said, if you don't like what's being talked about, ignore it.  You won't find me lurking in the AE forums...

Just sayin'.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 07, 2007, 05:51:45 PM
Lock. 

JK   ;D

Dude, we need to hang out.  Wanna meet me down in DC weekend of 8 Feb?  Me and a fellow former cadet and a few others are gonna hang out for the weekend.  Actually in Reston, VA, 22 miles West of DC.  Come on, have some drinks with us.  McLarty from CAP Talk will be there too.  Let's make it a CAP hook up....
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

Consider it a date.   :-*   

NO COLGAN......you can't come!

DC sounds awesome. 
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Here's what we're doing.

Basically, I'm bringing my buddy Joel, a former cadet with me and now fellow police officer, to show him the area. Looking at getting there Friday, late afternoon and leaving Monday around noon.

Will be taking him to the World Bank where I used to work, the Pentagon (probably for lunch before we leave Monday), Ft. Myer, possibly Agency HQ if my buddy can work it, and of course, the HUGE A$$ gun show at the Dulles Expo center. By far, the biggest gun show I've ever been to.

Then, Friday, Saturday and Sunday night, we'll be "hanging out" at the Reston Town Center...Uno's, Clydes and the Tap Room. We'll be staying at the Reston Hyatt which is expensive so maybe going to SpringHill Suites by Marriott where Nick McLarty got his reservations.  It's .9 miles from RTC.  Don't want to drive after the evening's events.

http://www.restontowncenter.com/
Serving since 1987.

JC004

Be careful of this Likey character.  He likes to start trouble.

Duke Dillio

^Just feed him some beers and he will mellow out...  At least that's what works for me.

a2capt

See.. and the way they just lock threads here, this one has veered way off it's intended topic and thus, it too, should be .. locked.

I have to say, this is the first forum I've seen that just locks threads without a stated reason sometimes.

Take the neighbors thing, two posters come in and thrash about, causing a distraction, then the topic evolves and  .. locked.

Stonewall

While yes, this topic drifted right off after 2 posts, this particular thread is more of a statement rather than a CAP discussion. 

But I still stand by my original post.

Will PM the DC link up from this point forward.
Serving since 1987.

Pylon

Quote from: a2capt on December 07, 2007, 07:43:07 PM
I have to say, this is the first forum I've seen that just locks threads without a stated reason sometimes.

If you're very concerned about finding the reasons behind a lock, you're always welcome to PM the forum moderators or administrators.  We are, after all, here all the time.  It's not like moderator actions are done by people you've never chatted with and can't reach.

To add to this, thank you all for your concern for our forum moderation.  Current trends are not likely to change much.  We have to moderate hundreds of posts a day, over dozens of threads and I'd like to think that overall our moderating is very light. 

Keep in mind that the stated purpose for this board, of which we continually remind people, is to be a professional resource for CAP members - not the Civil Air Patrol water cooler.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

isuhawkeye

To support the moderators on this.

At any time there is at least one thread is in the works for most every major arena of CAP.  If a new member has a new or different point to be made to a previously hashed out topic I'm sure the mods would happily allow the thread to continue. The problem is that so often new members are simply voicing old opinions, and we hash out the same issue.  I always recommend that people read and understand old arguments before bringing them up again.  More often than not after reading the documented discussions they learn the sides of the debate, the conclusions, and ofcors the regs sited, and they don't need to re hash things. 

Stonewall

Quote from: isuhawkeye on December 07, 2007, 11:44:34 PM
At any time there is at least one thread is in the works for most every major arena of CAP.  If a new member has a new or different point to be made to a previously hashed out topic I'm sure the mods would happily allow the thread to continue. The problem is that so often new members are simply voicing old opinions, and we hash out the same issue. 

Problem with that is, often times people don't premeditatedly plan on giving their opinion until a specific topic comes up.  Like in the EMT badge thread.  It's not like I woke up this morning thinking about CAP EMT badges and how CAP isn't an EMS agency.  But when the discussions triggered my thought process on the topic, I responded with thoughts, ideas and opinions.  I'm not going to stop in my tracks every time and do a search to see if the topic has already been discussed.  If that were the case, this place would be a ghost town and rather boring.

I don't know.  I'm not hell bent on this issue, but it just seems like when a legitimate discussion brings about someone's thoughts, but someone else talked about it 6 months before, they get ridiculed for doing so, as if they were supposed to somehow know.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

^ Agreed.  I love it when some "yells at another" that what they posted was already discussed.  If so, take the 3 seconds to give a link to that other thread.  If you are so certain it was discussed before, I am sure you can find it real fast. 

I know I do try to search for other threads that are similar to one I may start.  There have been on occasion a thread I start that someone else is starting at the same moment, so there is duplication.  The MODS..... usually MIKE combines them for us or deletes one. 

The Admin jockeys do work hard here.  No doubt about it.
What's up monkeys?

a2capt

Quote from: Stonewall on December 08, 2007, 12:28:48 AM
I don't know.  I'm not hell bent on this issue, but it just seems like when a legitimate discussion brings about someone's thoughts, but someone else talked about it 6 months before, they get ridiculed for doing so, as if they were supposed to somehow know.

...and searching for said thread, issue, what have you is just not easy, due both to the spontaneous nature of discussion/debate as well, if you don't search for nearly "exactly" what they said previously, it's kinda hard to find. So harping on people for discussing, rehashing, or whatever, something someone feels has already been talked about is pretty lame.

Just don't read it. Who cares.

Or how about.. reading it and maybe discovering some new angle of attack.