MIWG COntinues to extend its new dominance

Started by Nomex Maximus, November 26, 2007, 01:17:53 AM

ColonelJack

But the longest-serving general officer in history is still Winfield Scott, who became a brigadier general in the War of 1812 and finally retired during the early years of the Civil War, almost 50 years later.

Omar Bradley is the longest-serving five-star general, having been promoted in 1950 and remaining on active duty (as all five-stars do) until his death in 1981 -- 31 years as a General of the Army.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

MIKE

Mike Johnston

John Bryan

"That actually says something about CAP and I'm not sure if its a good thing or not. I mean you will never find a 34 year old 0-6 in any branch of the military. I knew a 35 year old 0-5 and he was a fast tracker West Point guy. But to make a 30 something year old a Colonel. I am not judgn. he might do an awsome job, but it is not parallel to the military"

Well I know when I applied to be a wing commander the issue of age came up. I remember telling the review board that Maj Gen John Ward was 29 when he became the Indiana Adjutant General.  Of course he was forced to resign from office by Indiana Gov Hanly.  Looking back maybe he was not the example I should have used  :-\

There was another wing commander in 2006 when I was on the board but IIRC he also had a very short term.

It is my great hope Col Phelka will be the one of the youngest to serve a full term  ;D

John Bryan

went too fast....what I meant to say was,

There was another YOUNG wing commander in 2006 when I was on the board but IIRC he also had a very short term.

flyguy06

I hope he does well as well. My only concern is people (especially visitors to this site) took issue with the fact that Pineda had only been in CAP a short period of time and they say he rose through the ranks too quick. (I think he had only been in CAP 6 years before he became a Wing CC)I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing wih that. I am just saying thats what was said. So, I wonder if people will feel a similar way withthis young man

ColonelJack

For what it's worth (most likely nothing) ... I was 35 when I was promoted to lieutenant colonel in CAP.  I got my butter bars when 23, made first looie at 24, captain at 27, major at 31, and light colonel at 35.

In other words, I made it up the chain in the minimum amount of time required.

Looking back from the "retired" perspective, I wonder if I did it the right way ... that contributed a lot to my burnout that led to retirement.

I know, I know ... back to topic ...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

alice

NIN:  "BG Barry".... now that's a name I've not seen on CAP-talk for a while....  I can imagine you and this new COWG CC chatting him up....

Ran into BG Barry the other week at the NorCal memorial service for Col Ed Lewis.   Barry looked just exactly the same as he did when I first met him in 1998.    He and Ed went way back...

I've always deeply admired Barry sinceI heard from him and also his volunteer national legal officer how they got the first written and signed MOU with the Air Force.   Talk about courageous and effective leadership...

CAP needs that kind of leadership again.  These sorts of tea-leaves we are seeing about leadership changes sounds pretty good...

Alice Mansell, LtCol CAP

NIN

Alice

Amen! 

Ed Phelka (C/Col Phelka at the time..heheheh) and I were chatting the General up for awhile and we said "Sir, we don't want to monopolize you time. We're sure there are plenty of other things you need to be doing than chatting with us.." and he said "Nonsense, guys, I'd rather stand here and talk to you than a bunch of stuffed shirts.."

But the thing that made me remember the conversation the most was when one of us asked the General about the fact that he was in the blazer combination throughout the conference, yet his photo in CAP News at the time showed him in Service Dress.  (Back in those days, the blazer combo was far less well received that the CAP alternates are today)  His response struck me as a fantastic example of of personal leadership over image.  He said "I don't exactly meet the weight standards right now, and what leadership message does it send to the membership when the top guy can't follow the rules? I have to set the example, right?"

Words to live by, IMHO.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.