MIWG COntinues to extend its new dominance

Started by Nomex Maximus, November 26, 2007, 01:17:53 AM

BlueLakes1

Quote from: DeputyDog on November 26, 2007, 01:51:16 PM
Quote from: Redfire11 on November 26, 2007, 01:38:45 PM
I'd be willing to bet I'm the youngest wing DO around, I turned 33 last week, I was 31 at time of appointment.

Nope. Capt Chris Morris, the Director of Operations for Missouri Wing is 26.

Awesome! I'll need to meet up with him for a frosty adult beverage someday.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

Briski

Quote from: flyguy06 on November 26, 2007, 05:02:18 AM
Do you think he'll get much respect from those old heads on the NAtional Board? Older people can be set in their ways and are very relunctant to change
Honestly, they may be wary at first, just like a lot of older cadets are when approached by cadets who are younger than they are, but outrank them. I think it's a natural human reaction to assume that of course a younger person can't possibly match our qualifications for a certain position, because they don't have as much life experience as we do.

But Col Phelka is one of those leaders who commands respect (not to be confused with demanding respect) without even trying to. He's very charismatic, and has a way of quickly earning peoples' trust by connecting with them on a personal level. He's REAL. Unmistakably genuine. No one will have any logical reason to doubt what his true motives are.

After a brief (natural) trial period that comes whenever any new member joins a group, I don't think he'll have any trouble runnin' with the big dogs.

Besides, it'll be good to get some new (voting) blood at NB.
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

NIN

Former INWG/CC John Bryan was born in January 1975, so there have been younger. I thought there was another wing CC who was 29 when appointed, last year sometime maybe.

I'd be willing to bet I'm the youngest wing DO around, I turned 33 last week, I was 31 at time of appointment.

I think the MO Wing DO, Chris Morris, is about 26...

EDIT: dooh! Should have read the whole thread before I posted. Someone beat me to it. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

I've known Ed Phelka since 1993 when he was a snot-nosed Spaatz cadet and I was a wet-behind-the-ears Captain and Ed worked for me at the MI Wing Cadet Leadership School at Camp Grayling.

I had met him peripherally beforehand, but my first chance to get to know him was that encampment.  That year at Grayling cemented a friendship with a man I'd follow to Hell without sunglasses (Hell, Michigan, of course.. its a quaint little town.. but I digress!)  Our trip to the GLR Conference in Chicago that same year was a true treat (watching Ed play the piano in the lobby of the hotel in short-sleeve blues was something I wished that I'd had a camera for.. It was a hoot...) when we got to spend 30-40 minutes chatting up BG Barry in a hallway together.

Ed and I later commanded adjacent squadrons in different groups in MI Wing at the same time (healthy in our competitive spirits we were) and were constantly comparing notes, riffing off one another for ideas, etc.  Ed and his wife Amanda came to one of my squadron dining outs, and Ed later visited NH to attend one of our open house recruiting nights right before he moved to Colorado  (Working for an airline has some obscene privileges, IMHO..<GRIN>) 

One day in late April 2005, my phone rang and it was Ed asking me if I could take over as commandant of cadets for the GLR-N encampment he was commanding that summer.  Even owing to the monumental task of taking over as commandant late in the planning cycle and having to put together a cadet staff selection at the last minute from 700+ miles away, I jumped at the chance to finally be able to work under the able leadership of my friend.  And I was surely not disappointed.  Even when we were faced with a last minute "challenge to our leadership ability," it was a sheer joy to be able to do great things with great people, and I knew that "this, too, shall pass." But working for a well-spoken, ethical leader who possesses more backbone than any three people made my job just 100 times easier when faced with members who were working their own agendas that were at complete cross purposes to the rest of the encampment.  I knew Ed had my back as long as I was doing my job as a leader, did the right thing for the good of the encampment and the cadets, and didn't leave him swinging in the wind.   

It took 12 years, but I was finally able to return the favor and do a good job as a subordinate for my friend, much like he had done for me in 1993.

(Never mind the fact that I was getting to hang out with all my old buds from MI Wing.. that was just icing on the cake!)

I'm sorely disappointed that I won't be able to travel to Colorado for the change of command.  Unfortunately, _I_ don't work for an airline.. :( 

Given a little bit of time after the standard "honeymoon," I think the members of Colorado Wing will soon know what a true gift they have in Ed Phelka as their Wing Commander.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

DrJbdm

Quote from: Briski on November 26, 2007, 04:59:15 AM
I'd follow Col Phelka anywhere. He's one of the SMs who influenced my growth and development the most WIWAC, and I continue to look to him for guidance and mentorship as a new SM.

this is off topic but what does WIWAC stand for??

K_Poskey

I'm looking forward to working with Col Phelka and getting to know him better. I'm looking forward to seeing the wing improve. . .
--
صراخ خربشات.

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DrJbdm

Well that makes sense, I have been searching my brain to try and understand what that stood for....thanks for the help.

CAP Producer

AL PABON, Major, CAP

flyguy06

Quote from: Cecil DP on November 26, 2007, 08:37:19 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on November 26, 2007, 04:50:01 AM
I am curious though. Why was this written by the RMR Commander? Michigan is in the GLR isnt it? I mean protocal would dictate the Region Commander asnnounce hiw Wing Commnaders. or does CAP do things differently?

If you read the first line it announced the appointment of the Colorado Wing Commander

The subject line is meant to say MIWG is breeding leaders.
Oh ok. Thanks. i didnt catch tthat. it was 2 am when I read this.

flyguy06

Quote from: mikeylikey on November 26, 2007, 04:32:16 AM
^ Born in '72.  He will be the youngest ever.   

Former INWG/CC John Bryan was born in January 1975, so there have been younger. I thought there was another wing CC who was 29 when appointed, last year sometime maybe.

That actually says something about CAP and I'm not sure if its a good thing or not. I mean you will never find a 34 year old 0-6 in any branch of the military. I knew a 35 year old 0-5 and he was a fast tracker West Point guy. But to make a 30 something year old a Colonel. I am not judgn. he might do an awsome job, but it is not parallel to the military

flyguy06

Quote from: NIN on November 26, 2007, 05:34:14 PM
I've known Ed Phelka since 1993 when he was a snot-nosed Spaatz cadet and I was a wet-behind-the-ears Captain and Ed worked for me at the MI Wing Cadet Leadership School at Camp Grayling.

I had met him peripherally beforehand, but my first chance to get to know him was that encampment.  That year at Grayling cemented a friendship with a man I'd follow to Hell without sunglasses (Hell, Michigan, of course.. its a quaint little town.. but I digress!)  Our trip to the GLR Conference in Chicago that same year was a true treat (watching Ed play the piano in the lobby of the hotel in short-sleeve blues was something I wished that I'd had a camera for.. It was a hoot...) when we got to spend 30-40 minutes chatting up BG Barry in a hallway together.

Ed and I later commanded adjacent squadrons in different groups in MI Wing at the same time (healthy in our competitive spirits we were) and were constantly comparing notes, riffing off one another for ideas, etc.  Ed and his wife Amanda came to one of my squadron dining outs, and Ed later visited NH to attend one of our open house recruiting nights right before he moved to Colorado  (Working for an airline has some obscene privileges, IMHO..<GRIN>) 

One day in late April 2005, my phone rang and it was Ed asking me if I could take over as commandant of cadets for the GLR-N encampment he was commanding that summer.  Even owing to the monumental task of taking over as commandant late in the planning cycle and having to put together a cadet staff selection at the last minute from 700+ miles away, I jumped at the chance to finally be able to work under the able leadership of my friend.  And I was surely not disappointed.  Even when we were faced with a last minute "challenge to our leadership ability," it was a sheer joy to be able to do great things with great people, and I knew that "this, too, shall pass." But working for a well-spoken, ethical leader who possesses more backbone than any three people made my job just 100 times easier when faced with members who were working their own agendas that were at complete cross purposes to the rest of the encampment.  I knew Ed had my back as long as I was doing my job as a leader, did the right thing for the good of the encampment and the cadets, and didn't leave him swinging in the wind.   

It took 12 years, but I was finally able to return the favor and do a good job as a subordinate for my friend, much like he had done for me in 1993.

(Never mind the fact that I was getting to hang out with all my old buds from MI Wing.. that was just icing on the cake!)

I'm sorely disappointed that I won't be able to travel to Colorado for the change of command.  Unfortunately, _I_ don't work for an airline.. :( 

Given a little bit of time after the standard "honeymoon," I think the members of Colorado Wing will soon know what a true gift they have in Ed Phelka as their Wing Commander.

Is he an airline pilot?

NIN

Negative. While he does have "heavy jet" time in his logbook (where is Leo Burke when you need him?), his job in the airlines did not involve actually driving the iron.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

SJFedor

Quote from: Redfire11 on November 26, 2007, 01:54:07 PM
Quote from: DeputyDog on November 26, 2007, 01:51:16 PM

Nope. Capt Chris Morris, the Director of Operations for Missouri Wing is 26.

Awesome! I'll need to meet up with him for a frosty adult beverage someday.

I'm a 21 y/o Group DO, and I have ambitions to one day move to Wing. So, how old was Capt Morris when he got appointed? I need something to strive for  ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Ricochet13

Quote from: flyguy06 on November 26, 2007, 09:50:21 PM

That actually says something about CAP and I'm not sure if its a good thing or not. I mean you will never find a 34 year old 0-6 in any branch of the military. I knew a 35 year old 0-5 and he was a fast tracker West Point guy. But to make a 30 something year old a Colonel. I am not judgn. he might do an awsome job, but it is not parallel to the military

I think Maj Gen James M. Gavin of the 82nd Airborne made COL at the age of 35.

mikeylikey

That actually says something about CAP and I'm not sure if its a good thing or not. I mean you will never find a 34 year old 0-6 in any branch of the military. I knew a 35 year old 0-5 and he was a fast tracker West Point guy. But to make a 30 something year old a Colonel. I am not judging. he might do an awesome job, but it is not parallel to the military

Sure it does parallel the military.  The military of 150 years ago, when Colonels were no older than 22 and appointed by Daddy to lead a group of militia against the devious South, OR the oppressive North (depending on your personal view of the Civil war).  Hell Some Generals had not even reached their 30th birthday. 

What's up monkeys?

flyguy06

Quote from: Ricochet13 on November 27, 2007, 04:34:12 AM

I think Maj Gen James M. Gavin of the 82nd Airborne made COL at the age of 35.

Ok, you're talking about WW2. A differant time and a differant generation

flyguy06

LOL. The world is a totally differant place than 150 years ago. Heck, you didnt need a college degree to be an officer back then either.

I didnt think I would have to break it down like this but .........ok

I am talking about the modern day military ok?

Colin Powell was 52 when he got his fourth star. he is the youngest 4 star General in history

Cecil DP

BG DuPont, National Commander in the 70's was in the low 30's when elected.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

BlueLakes1

Quote from: flyguy06 on November 27, 2007, 06:15:33 AM
LOL. The world is a totally differant place than 150 years ago. Heck, you didnt need a college degree to be an officer back then either.

I didnt think I would have to break it down like this but .........ok

I am talking about the modern day military ok?

Colin Powell was 52 when he got his fourth star. he is the youngest 4 star General in history

Curtis Lemay was born in 1906, and got his fourth star in 1947, so he was no older than 41. His birthday is in November, so he was quite possibly 40 when he became a full General. He served as a general officer for 21 years, and as a 4 star for 17; he was the longest serving four star in history.

(There may have been more who were younger than 52, but I've been a Lemay fan for as long as I can remeber, and I know his resume better than anyone else's)
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC