Push Ups

Started by Cadet Bonnett, July 29, 2005, 01:50:44 PM

Cadet Bonnett

When it comes to push ups, i am doing so much better i use to only be able to do like 3 now i can 18....
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

MIKE

Quote from: Christin Bonnett on July 29, 2005, 01:50:44 PM
When it comes to push ups, i am doing so much better i use to only be able to do like 3 now i can 18....

I think you need to be able to do 9 to standards for your age, gender and phase to pass the push up event on the CPFT.
Mike Johnston

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: MIKE on July 29, 2005, 02:55:25 PM
Quote from: Christin Bonnett on July 29, 2005, 01:50:44 PM

I think you need to be able to do 9 to standards for your age, gender and phase to pass the push up event on the CPFT.

yes your right. i only did 13 last night but i was tired also...
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

JCSCADET

i did 75 for my last PT but i only needed to do 24 or 26

Greg

Quote from: JCSCADET on September 09, 2005, 11:17:30 PM

Here's your cookie:

C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Schmidty06

I tucker out at about 38 or so

Pylon

Quote from: Greg on September 10, 2005, 04:05:05 AM
Quote from: JCSCADET on September 09, 2005, 11:17:30 PM

Here's your cookie:

Hahahahahahahaha.... thanks for brightening my morning at the office!   :D :D :D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

skandalintegra

I used to only be able to do 35 or so.. I'm getting close to 50, 4 months since I've joined.
C/1st Lt Daniel Jackson
California Wing

williamcabot

You can tell you're not going to beat your record in push ups when you get tired after two. lol
C/SMSgt Douglas S. Saavedra
Alpha Flight Commander
San Diego Cadet Squadron 144
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary (CAP)

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: formerjcscadet on September 09, 2005, 11:17:30 PM

:clap:

Good for you, but are you doing them correctly? Please respond honestly.

Quote from:  CAPP 52-18 ,CPFT Pamplet
3. To complete a push-up, the cadet must straighten their arms, keeping their back and knees straight.
Then, the cadet must lower their body until there is a 90 degree angle at the elbows, with their upper
arms parallel to the floor.
4. To judge if the cadet lowers their body enough, a partner holds out his or her own hands to a point
such that when the cadet being tested touches their shoulders against the partner's hands, a 90
degree angle is formed at the cadet's elbows.
5. The push-ups are done to an audible cadence (clapping, drum, metronome, oral command, etc.) with
one complete push-up every three seconds, and continuing until the cadet can do no more in rhythm
(having not done the last three in rhythm).
The cadet may halt when he or she reaches the required
number of repetitions for their achievement.

I can't tell you  how many cadets i've seen go as fast as they can, rather than do one every three seconds (which is considerably harder).

Pylon

Quote from: markh on August 20, 2006, 02:47:54 PM
Good for you, but are you doing them correctly? Please respond honestly.

Quote from:  CAPP 52-18 ,CPFT Pamplet
3. To complete a push-up, the cadet must straighten their arms, keeping their back and knees straight.
Then, the cadet must lower their body until there is a 90 degree angle at the elbows, with their upper
arms parallel to the floor.
4. To judge if the cadet lowers their body enough, a partner holds out his or her own hands to a point
such that when the cadet being tested touches their shoulders against the partner's hands, a 90
degree angle is formed at the cadet's elbows.
5. The push-ups are done to an audible cadence (clapping, drum, metronome, oral command, etc.) with
one complete push-up every three seconds, and continuing until the cadet can do no more in rhythm
(having not done the last three in rhythm).
The cadet may halt when he or she reaches the required
number of repetitions for their achievement.

I can't tell you  how many cadets i've seen go as fast as they can, rather than do one every three seconds (which is considerably harder).

As a DCC who administers the CPFT, I can't tell you how difficult and odd that requirement is for the push-ups.  The three second cadence thing is just weird.  I really wish they would do away with it.

But if you've got cadets who are just going as fast as they can, it's a failure of the senior members administering the CPFT.  They need to be giving that audible cadence and they need to be checking the participants to ensure they are meeting the set guidelines for performing the exercise.  I may not like it, but that's how it's written and until they change it, that's how it's got to be done.   :-\
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Nathan

Agreed.

I can do about 80 pushups when randomly dropping at any given time.

For the PT, I can't usually do that many.

80 push-ups times three seconds each adds up to 240 seconds, which is four minutes. I can do 80 pushups, but I don't know if I can do pushups for four minutes straight.

I understand the rationale behind the rule. Without it, you're likely to see cadets adding two degrees to their elbows and counting it as a pushup when they do it too fast. THIS would be the failure of leadership.

However, if you have some massive bodybuilder who is determined to push until he drops, then you could very easily be sitting around for six minutes counting push-ups...
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Psicorp

Quote from: Nathan on August 31, 2006, 04:30:38 PM

However, if you have some massive bodybuilder who is determined to push until he drops, then you could very easily be sitting around for six minutes counting push-ups...

*grin* at which point you stand on his back and see how he does.    Okay, okay, i'm mostly kidding.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

JCSCADET

i am no longer a member of Civil Air Patrol.  I am now enrolled in the Mississippi National Guard Program.  I did 75 push ups on my PFT this month.