How curious...US Military NASCAR sponsors, and no incredulous comments?

Started by Major Carrales, November 12, 2007, 06:26:45 AM

Eclipse

>I< have a diecast CAP car!

...and it was found in a retail store, not bought direct form the (then) bookstore!

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 17, 2007, 03:17:26 AM
It's kind of like having Bill Buckner on your team...

If he was a so-so driver who blew the championship because he tossed his gum out the window or something, I'd say "yes!"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

Quote from: a CNN articleA member of Congress wants to end the military's sponsorship of NASCAR race teams, saying it's a waste of taxpayers' money.

Rep. Betty McCollum, D-Minnesota, is offering an amendment to the 2011 House budget bill to ban the sponsorships, which her office said has cost the military $100 million over the past 10 years, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/16/congresswoman-wants-to-end-militarys-nascar-sponsorships/
Took a few years.. but..

jspear

I'd really like to have one of those  #46 CAP 1/24 diecast cars.... anyone know where I can find one??
Lt. Col. Jack E. Spear, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson #280
Henderson Composite Squadron
PCR-NV-065
"Proudly serving since 1980"

FW

We probably have a few gathering dust in some box at NHQ.  Of course, there is always E Bay... ;D

BillB

Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

From the article:
Rep. Betty McCollum, D-Minnesota, is offering an amendment to the 2011 House budget bill to ban the sponsorships, which her office said has cost the military $100 million over the past 10 years, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

"I would challenge the Pentagon to give me one example of someone today in Iraq or Afghanistan who saw the Go Army car going around the racetrack and that's why they joined the Army," Bill Harper, McCollum's chief of staff, told HamptonRoads.com. "It may be the reason why they go to Home Depot but not necessarily Afghanistan."

I would actually take that bet. $10M a year is nothing in terms of the exposure and good feeling the NASCARs get worldwide.  Not only it is a recruiting tool, but the affinity felt by service members cannot be discounted, either.  A good percentage of military personnel are blue-collar, beer-drinking, Joe-6'ers who enjoy NASCAR and other motorsports.

I never thought it was a good fit for CAP, if for no other reason than most NASCAR happens on nights and weekends, so someone invested enough in NASCAR to be swayed by its having a sponsored car, is probably otherwise engaged when we'ed need them, but then again we never had a driver who was competitive, which could have made all the difference.

Here's mine:

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on February 17, 2011, 04:52:13 PM
From the article:

"I would challenge the Pentagon to give me one example of someone today in Iraq or Afghanistan who saw the Go Army car going around the racetrack and that's why they joined the Army," Bill Harper, McCollum's chief of staff, told HamptonRoads.com. "It may be the reason why they go to Home Depot but not necessarily Afghanistan."

I would actually take that bet. $10M a year is nothing in terms of the exposure and good feeling the NASCARs get worldwide.  Not only it is a recruiting tool, but the affinity felt by service members cannot be discounted, either.  A good percentage of military personnel are blue-collar, beer-drinking, Joe-6'ers who enjoy NASCAR and other motorsports.

I never thought it was a good fit for CAP, if for no other reason than most NASCAR happens on nights and weekends, so someone invested enough in NASCAR to be swayed by its having a sponsored car, is probably otherwise engaged when we'ed need them, but then again we never had a driver who was competitive, which could have made all the difference.

Here's mine:

I want one. It'd look great in my display case next to my toy tractors.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

flyboy53

Keep watching the national news. There's a move on the Hill to cut any funding for this type of advertising/sponsorship.

a2capt

caphornbuckle

Quote from: a2capt on February 18, 2011, 01:38:11 AM
Heh, wow, seriously? They made one. Okay, I want one.

I've got one displayed with my other NASCAR collectables.  1:24 model still in the box.  Got it on E-Bay.  Didn't pay too much for it and had no other bidders.

Not for sale  >:(
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: caphornbuckle on February 18, 2011, 04:57:01 AM

I've got one displayed with my other NASCAR collectables.  1:24 model still in the box.  Got it on E-Bay.  Didn't pay too much for it and had no other bidders.

Mind bringing it up to the Eval or April SAREX so I can drool over it? ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

caphornbuckle

Quote from: davidsinn on February 18, 2011, 05:00:27 AM
Quote from: caphornbuckle on February 18, 2011, 04:57:01 AM

Mind bringing it up to the Eval or April SAREX so I can drool over it? ;D

Not going to beable to make it to either but if I ever get down to your unit for a visit or you make it up to wing, I think I can provide a sneek peek for you!

Eclipse

I met Kenny Wallace a million years ago when my company at the time was sponsoring a portion of his car.

"That Others May Zoom"

caphornbuckle

One of the actual CAP NASCAR Bush Series cars were for sale a while back after the team was dissolved.  Would've been nice to have sitting next to the plane at NHQ.   ;D

a2capt

Quote from: caphornbuckle on February 18, 2011, 04:57:01 AMNot for sale  >:(
Why the face? What did I say? I didn't demand anything from you. There's plenty of them out there.

caphornbuckle

Quote from: a2capt on February 18, 2011, 06:11:22 AM
Quote from: caphornbuckle on February 18, 2011, 04:57:01 AMNot for sale  >:(
Why the face? What did I say? I didn't demand anything from you. There's plenty of them out there.

Nothing intended.  Just being selfish with my toys.  ;)

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt