Main Menu

Activity Idea

Started by Schmidty06, February 15, 2005, 08:24:38 PM

Schmidty06

I have this crazy idea banging around in my head.  A two week long GTM training course that is designed to train an incoming participant who has little more than GES training all the way up to at least GTM1 for cadets under 18 and GTL and GBD for cadets and seniors over the age of 18.  I know that it may seem a little long for an activity, but I hope to plug a lot of practical training and practice in to it, (not just one, but many full-run SAREXs each week, one for each level of GTM).  I have this kind of 2 days classroom, two days field work alternating idea for schedualing layout.  It would be easy to include it with an encampment, but I don't want to work the 40 hours of more or less non-ES related training that encampment requires.  Infact, I'm thinking that I'll require prior encampment credit.

Comments?  Suggestions?

Greg

Quote from: Schmidty06 on February 15, 2005, 08:24:38 PM
I have this crazy idea banging around in my head.  A two week long GTM training course that is designed to train an incoming participant who has little more than GES training all the way up to at least GTM1 for cadets under 18 and GTL and GBD for cadets and seniors over the age of 18.  I know that it may seem a little long for an activity, but I hope to plug a lot of practical training and practice in to it, (not just one, but many full-run SAREXs each week, one for each level of GTM).  I have this kind of 2 days classroom, two days field work alternating idea for schedualing layout.  It would be easy to include it with an encampment, but I don't want to work the 40 hours of more or less non-ES related training that encampment requires.  Infact, I'm thinking that I'll require prior encampment credit.

Comments?  Suggestions?

I doubt I'd want a GTL or GBD floating around in my wing that only had GES a couple weeks ago.  Experience is a worth a lot.
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Schmidty06

This is true, maybe I'd let that be open for either returning participants or people who have X amount of experience before hand.

Nathan

Quote from: Schmidty06 on February 15, 2005, 08:24:38 PM

Comments?  Suggestions?

Yep. It's called NGSAR. It's a National Cadet Special Activity that does exactly what you seem to want. Have fun. ;)
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Pylon

It is a good idea for an activity, and CAP has a national-level academy for just that.  As was stated above, NGSAR Academy, which is a part of NESA does just that for Senior Members and Cadets.

However, this does not mean that you can't run a local-level activity to accomplish the same purpose.  Not everybody is going to be able to go to NGSAR, whether because of date conflicts, travel costs, or other reasons.   In fact, having an NGSAR in place already gives you an advantage to planning your activity.

You should try and contact those who have served as executive staff at a past NGSAR and ask if you can borrow their curriculum.  In addition, National HQ has a good deal of the curriculum materials online and ready-to-use.  Talking with your Squadron or Group Emergency Services Officer, you should be able to put together a very solid program using National curriculum and training materials and perhaps adding your own dashes of experience and advice here and there.  :)

Good luck with that!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Schmidty06

NGSAR sounds good and I hear that there is a lot of good training there, but transport and location issues make it a hassle for some people.  I plan to start my activity as a cheaper local activity.  Terrain differences also play a factor in the activity. 

CAPSGT

Quote from: Schmidty06 on February 16, 2005, 12:31:00 AM
Terrain differences also play a factor in the activity. 

This is one thing that I really like about locally based ES training.  You are working in your home environment, with the people you will be working with on actual missions the most, learning local procedures.

While I'm not sure that a 2 week local activity is such a feasable idea (most people who can afford to give up the 2 weeks of their life for CAP are probably going to go to a national activity where they are on somewhat of a vacation meeting people from all over the country.), I do agree that local SAR academies are a great idea.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

Horn229

As was stated above, at NGSAR, you can attend the Basic course the first week to get GTM-3, and the Advanced course will get you Level's 2 and 1.

A downside I can see to running a 2 week school locally to get everyone up to GTM-1 is you run the risk of the instructors knowing the trainee's. So you need to be very careful that you don't have any pencil whipping and that the Instructor's actually know the material they're teaching (none of this GTM-2's teaching GTM-1 material). One other thing, a course at which people can get GTL and GBD at the same time.

To do the job of Ground Branch Director effectively, you need to know exactly what the GTL's go through in the field, experience is a key factor in being a GBD. I'm going to be the GBD at a SAREX this Saturday and I've also planned out the GT missions, and in doing this, I have to know the type of problems that occure with GTL's, when they're not in touch with the base, or when the base starts ignoring them and telling them to hold.

Experience as a GTL is a major factor to being a good Ground Branch Director, and you'll probably have trouble as a GBD without the experience as a GTL.

From a quick glance on Nationals the slides on there are what is taught at NESA. So good luck with your course. :)
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: CAPSGT on February 16, 2005, 02:45:30 AM
Quote from: Schmidty06 on February 16, 2005, 12:31:00 AM
Terrain differences also play a factor in the activity. 

This is one thing that I really like about locally based ES training.  You are working in your home environment, with the people you will be working with on actual missions the most, learning local procedures.

While I'm not sure that a 2 week local activity is such a feasable idea (most people who can afford to give up the 2 weeks of their life for CAP are probably going to go to a national activity where they are on somewhat of a vacation meeting people from all over the country.), I do agree that local SAR academies are a great idea.

Just to add on to Lt Crockett's post... the logistics of working out a 2 week program is incredible- way more than you'd probalby expect.  You won't be able to find seniors to staff it, because for most people, that is their whole year's vacation from work.  You won't find cadets to be able to attend, because of different obligations.  Having people go to a one week Encampment is pushing it. 

If I did a local SAR Academy, I'd do something on various weekends, with no more than two weekends a month (I'd try to keep it limited to once a month, actually).  This is because people have other parts of their life to live, and they'd be a lot more willing to give up a weekend when they have SEVERAL MONTHS notice. 
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

CAPSGT

Quote from: Horn229 on February 16, 2005, 07:01:43 AM
Experience as a GTL is a major factor to being a good Ground Branch Director, and you'll probably have trouble as a GBD without the experience as a GTL.

Nick hit the nail on the head there.  GTL and GBD in the same school is a very difficult task, and not one I would really even recommend.  GTL builds on the woodsmanship type skills learned as a GTM, then adds in some administrative and search theory components.  Once a member gets a chance to develop their skills in the administrative and theory departments (which really can only truly come from experience), then they are probably ready to go on to GBD.  GBD deals almost exclusively with administrative and search theory components.  By having a practical experience as a basis from which to build, a good GBD is able to figure things out and take care of the teams without actually being on location.  But again, each type of qualification in the GSAR program (GTM, GTL, GBD) builds off one another, and proficciency is critical before moving on to the next level.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

Yoda

One thing that's worth keeping in mind is this.  I have little expertise in the area of ES, but I do know a lot about enthusiasm for a project you really want to do.  One thing I've found in my time (and this isn't just limited to CAP) is that somebody will come up with an idea they are very gung-ho about, and have everybody tell them a bunch of reasons why it won't work.  That person will get discouraged and may stop trying.  DON'T DO THIS!  It's your job to come up with the reasons why it will work.

Is a two-week academy really that feasible?  Eh, maybe not.  But, if you're really into this and you want it to work, start working out how you're going to make it work.  One thing I would highly suggest is a staff study report.  On page 199 of the Air Force Tongue and Quill, it begins a small section on how to prepare a staff study report. 

Chances are, when you prepare this report you will discover many of the possible problems that may present themselves.  This will give you the chance to think the problems over for a few days and come back to it with a solution.

I garuntee your commander will be impressed that you took the time to think out this report and deliver it to him.  Be prepared to answer any questions or objections, and most importantly, DON'T GIVE UP!

Enthusiasm and motivation can go a long way toward solving problems.  The activity may not take form in the exact method you thought it would, but if it takes form at all it will be due to your work in this regard.

I truly hope you do succeed, because with the use of today's technology, your success won't just benefit you.  Document everything, because if it turns out to be a success, your work is always publishable and it's often a great resource for others to take a gander at what you've done.

If nothing else, this will at least teach you how to go about solving a problem and implementing a solution.

Buzz

Quote from: Greg on February 15, 2005, 08:33:34 PM

I doubt I'd want a GTL or GBD floating around in my wing that only had GES a couple weeks ago.  Experience is a worth a lot.

It's only one leg of the triangle, along with Training and Rating. 

Someone who has been away a while (such as myself, out of country for three years) might still have plenty of experience (ES since 1971, taught it since 1974), but not be current in rating or up-to-date on the latest training.

Thus, the Zero-to-GTL/GBD course might be just what I need to get my quals back.

The thing to keep in mind is that the CAP ratings are only ADVISORY.  Just because you have the rating doesn't mean that you will be given the job.  A mission commander has the authority and responsibilty to put people into the right job, not just whatever they can show paper for -- but you NEED the paper to be put to work.