It's amazing what you find in your squadron's supply room...

Started by jimmydeanno, September 02, 2007, 03:28:45 AM

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: alamrcn on September 26, 2007, 03:14:17 PM
You didn't by chance find an early-40s olive drab Harley Davidson, complete with side car that was supplied to CAP by the Army Air Corps during WWII.... did you?  <sigh>  Ahhh, the things that can be found in old barns - almost as good as old supply rooms!

-Ace

Haha, unfortunately no. And even if I did, I'd steal commandeer recover it for myself.

Joe Baker

Josiah Baker, FO, CAP
Logistics Assistant, Timmerman Composite Squadron, GLR-WI-002

"A good simulator check ride is like successful surgery on a cadaver."

wingnut

Well

lets see, our squadron had about 7 AT6s at one time and I have a picture of the Squadron with their own control tower, a fire truck, MP vehicle. As I look around I find some reeeealy stinky sleeping bags, a huge pile of junk computers, RAD stuff. Wheel pants some old nasty uniforms.
a big locked box that says AIM-9.

Joe Baker

Open the box!  And report back, asap.  [that is if it won't get you in trouble]
Josiah Baker, FO, CAP
Logistics Assistant, Timmerman Composite Squadron, GLR-WI-002

"A good simulator check ride is like successful surgery on a cadaver."

Brad

Quote from: CLB on September 16, 2007, 02:07:11 AM
1950's era fridge with coke bottles frozen in a block of ice 1' thick

I say you thaw the coke and toss some dry ice in to re-carbonate it so you can drink it! Taste the REAL Coke Classic, before "New Coke". (And no I don't remember New Coke. That stuff came and went between May and July of 1985....I wasn't born til Dec. 1985)
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

♠SARKID♠

Well, we recently turned up a treasure trove of equipment in our supply cage.

We opened up a cabinet that we had all thought belonged to a coast guard auxiliary flotilla who used to meet at our hangar.  Turns out, it isn't theirs, but ours, and was filled with vintage radio equipment that belonged to a member who has long since passed away.  My squadron commander, in his infinite generosity, gave it to me as it wasn't CAP property (with exception to the 8 Geiger counters, which were decidedly CAP property  :P).  It is all tube type equipment, and I would like to try and refurbish some of it.  Unfortunately I don't know anything about tubes and will need some help (Darn my being born after the invention of transistors).

List of stuff found
  The Ham radio is a Gonset Communicator IV, 143Mhz - 148Mhz, xtal controlled
  The CB is a Lafeyette HE-20T
  The "morse coder" is a Lettine 240, transmitting morse and voice on 10, 20, 40, 80, and 160 meters (thats all the way down to 2Mhz for the non radio savvy), xtal controlled, made in 1920s/30s
  The item in the bottom of photo002 is an ungodly heavy VHF transmitter.  It seems to be a Motorola FMTRU, or a Hallicrafter CSM.
  Everything else is marked in the photos, the Geiger counters aren't shown

Unfortunately I would have to have most of the crystals recut as they all seem to be on CAP freqs.

SarDragon

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on November 06, 2007, 07:47:01 AM
Well, we recently turned up a treasure trove of equipment in our supply cage.

We opened up a cabinet that we had all thought belonged to a coast guard auxiliary flotilla who used to meet at our hangar.  Turns out, it isn't theirs, but ours, and was filled with vintage radio equipment that belonged to a member who has long since passed away.  My squadron commander, in his infinite generosity, gave it to me as it wasn't CAP property (with exception to the 8 Geiger counters, which were decidedly CAP property  :P).  It is all tube type equipment, and I would like to try and refurbish some of it.  Unfortunately I don't know anything about tubes and will need some help (Darn my being born after the invention of transistors).

List of stuff found
  The Ham radio is a Gonset Communicator IV, 143Mhz - 148Mhz, xtal controlled
  The CB is a Lafeyette HE-20T
  The "morse coder" is a Lettine 240, transmitting morse and voice on 10, 20, 40, 80, and 160 meters (thats all the way down to 2Mhz for the non radio savvy), xtal controlled, made in 1920s/30s
  The item in the bottom of photo002 is an ungodly heavy VHF transmitter.  It seems to be a Motorola FMTRU, or a Hallicrafter CSM.
  Everything else is marked in the photos, the Geiger counters aren't shown

Unfortunately I would have to have most of the crystals recut as they all seem to be on CAP freqs.

They might make better donations to CAP historical collectors. Getting tubes is hard these days, and they are getting more expensove all the time. The crystals are also expensive.

If you give us pictures of the data plates, we might be able to provide more info on what the ?'d items are.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

♠SARKID♠

QuoteGetting tubes is hard these days, and they are getting more expensove all the time. The crystals are also expensive.

On the contrary, they arent.  At least not the ones for these radios.  They are all tubes commonly used in modern guitar amps and that sort of thing.  They shouldnt be hard to come by.  As for some pics, I'll see what I can do.

DrDave

Sell all the old radio equipment on Ebay and then buy your squadron a new powerpoint projector or two.

That's what one of my squadrons did.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

♠SARKID♠

Yeah, thats the backup plan.  I love old electronics and that kind of thing though.  For me, its amazing to see what equipment had to be used to do the same thing a smaller, modern device can do (ie tubes sets vs. transistors).

The first two photos are of the Lettine.  That I have plenty of info, just wanted to show a better close up.  The manual for it is here http://resdon111.googlepages.com/lettine240.pdf
The third and fourth are of the one that I dont know what it is.  I pulled out the component board and took some pics.
I also took a vid of the one side, but its really hard to see (http://resdon111.googlepages.com/IMGP0636.AVI)

Al Sayre

The 3rd photo looks a lot like the guts of an old TACAN unit I used to work on in the Navy.  Post some photos of the front and back, in and out of the housing and maybe Dave or I can identify it.  Also look for numbers like AN/ARC XXX on it somewhere or anything that says NSN.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

♠SARKID♠

Here, is this good?

http://resdon111.googlepages.com/radio.wmv
(Sorry bout my music in the background)

Also, that picture is of what's under the flaps on the front panel

SarDragon

That doesn't look like any airborne TACAN I ever worked on, and I go all the way back to the ARN-21. Doesn't resemble the ground units either.

The unit in the flick looks like some commercial unit.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SJFedor

Is it possible it could be some really old school airmobile repeater?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

♠SARKID♠

Okay, I did a little digging and came up with what I think it is.  I read a story involving two HAMs debating the calibration of their radios. (http://www.listserve.com/archives/collins/2007-02/msg00576.html) One of them was on a Motorola FMTRU-41D, the model we've been discussing.  They were operating in the 2M ham band.  So, it turns out its just another HAM band transceiver.  Shuck darns...