It's amazing what you find in your squadron's supply room...

Started by jimmydeanno, September 02, 2007, 03:28:45 AM

jimmydeanno

So...I was helping do a massive clean-up of our squadron today and low and behold, what do I find...an almost perfect set of the old fatigues (pickle suits).  They apparantly belonged to an AF major in SAC.  There were 2 complete sets (2 pants, 2 blouses) and a field jacket w/ liner.  They aren't even faded...

Anyone else ever find random stuff in their squadrons supply room?

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

flyerthom

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 02, 2007, 03:28:45 AM
So...I was helping do a massive clean-up of our squadron today and low and behold, what do I find...an almost perfect set of the old fatigues (pickle suits).  They apparantly belonged to an AF major in SAC.  There were 2 complete sets (2 pants, 2 blouses) and a field jacket w/ liner.  They aren't even faded...

Being in Vegas I am afraid to look.
TC

JayT

Dare I ask what size?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Eclipse

We several pieces of cold-war era rad-monitoring equipment - still have it, too.

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

A sign publicizing "Operation Recovery" from the early 1960's.
Another former CAP officer

jimmydeanno

Quote from: JThemann on September 02, 2007, 03:40:34 AM

Dare I ask what size?

They are medium regulars if I remember correctly, I'll be able to tell you tomorrow...

However, I was considering creating a 'historical recreation' of a CAP uniform and wearing it to conferences as a novelty item.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

badger bob

Just a reminder
Ref 67-1

It is recommended that expendable supplies be inventoried every year.

Obsolete equipment from DOD must be returned to DOD- contact your wing supply officer
Obsolete donated expendables, member obtained (also donated) or purchased with local funds (expendable) should be properly disposed of with the local commanders approval.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

JayT

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 03, 2007, 03:36:40 AM
Quote from: JThemann on September 02, 2007, 03:40:34 AM

Dare I ask what size?

They are medium regulars if I remember correctly, I'll be able to tell you tomorrow...

However, I was considering creating a 'historical recreation' of a CAP uniform and wearing it to conferences as a novelty item.

I was thinking the same thing.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Flying Pig

When I returned back to CAP as a Senior member after about a 7 year gap, I showed up to the unit to introduce myself and saw a cadet wearing a name plate that said "Steht" on it.  Somewhat puzzled...I asked who this cadet was being that my last name is pretty uncommon.

What had happened was that by being on base, cadets got their uniforms pretty quick, and so they could have a name plate to practice getting their uniforms ready the cadets wore the "mysterious Cadet Steht" name plate until theirs came in from the bookstore.  There were about 15 cadets who ha all been "Steht" at the begining of their CAP careers.  It was funny becaue when I first started introducing myself, I got the strangest looks from the Seniors and the cadets.  The woman who had been the Dep for Cadets literally yelled, "Its you!" when I told her my name for the first time.  I guess after I left, because of the Drill Team items, there were a couple of my name plates laying around the supply room.

bosshawk

Three sets of pristine wheel pants for Cessna 182s.  Around here, we take them off CAP aircraft so that we can more easily check brake pads on the pre-flight.  Some old timers believe that the wheel pants also block some of the view out the window on searches, while looking down.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

jimmydeanno

Well, they are medium regular and in really good shape, I'm almost surprised they don't have tags on them...

Other interesting thing I found was a PSA by Chuck Yeager about CAP.  It's on a film spool - but without my micrometer I couldn't tell you what size...anyone have any idea how old this is or what I can play it with?

IceNine

Is it the larger video (you should see the frames)

Or Audio

Looks like the tape in audio cassettes
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jimmydeanno

It's about 1/4 inch wide - radio PSA on a single spool...

smj58501

CB Radios (since turned in to Wing). They were even on our S8.

I can only imagine the handles that were dreamed up when these got used.

Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

jeders

Current Squadron:

Radios at least 50 years old
Radiological monitoring equipment (both hand held and aircraft mounted)
Level 1 slides (as in slide projector, not powerpoint)

Previous Squadron:
Atari computer
Earhart Award from the early 90's
personnel files from the early 90's
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

ZigZag911

This being Jersey, there was a rumor once that Jimmy Hoffa was found in one of our supply areas....but it was only a rumor!

Becks

A stack of about 20 lifesaving certificates from15 years ago.

BBATW

IceNine

You intreguied me with this thread.. So I went searching

My unit has a storage shed at a members house that doesn't get ventured into much.

I found

Our original Charter certificate
2 Unit Citation Certificates
Pictures of the founding members of my unit
a whole box of OD Greens
A Box full of chrome and white helmets
Berets, ascots.
And 1 each 1 star, 2 star, 3, star, 4 star flags???

I guess I'll be spending some money getting stuff framed soon
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jimmydeanno

Hmmm...I wonder what's up with the generals flags...perhaps General Colgan left his stuff at your squadron  >:D

I am still amazed at the junk people keep in CAP - Just finished sorting through random papers.  If you were ever wondering who was assigned as a TCO for my wing in 1983 - I could tell you...

Then, there's the folders of e-mails people felt they needed to keep because it was 'correspondance' when 'the electronic mail in that there computer thingy' was just coming out.

Other things found:

An old 'automatic polaroid' camera, looks like it was used to take pictures for the old 101 cards - it's on a stand and rotates - kinda like the cameras at the DMV.

I did finally find the boxes of squadron historical materials which include old WWII patches, articles from our original squadron opening to the sundown patrols in the 60's - I can't wait to read through this stuff.