Are non US citizens allowed to join the CAP?

Started by Bluesky, June 09, 2005, 03:38:14 PM

Bluesky

Hi  :)

I am an 18 year old boy from Norway.
I will graduate from high school next year, and then i want to go to America and study at a university.

So the question is, can i join the CAP?

Soon i will have a glider pilot license, and i have also taken about 15 flight lessons in a Piper Cherokee, so i do know a little about aviation ;D

MIKE

Quote from: CAPR 39-2 CIVIL AIR PATROL MEMBERSHIP3-2. c. Citizenship. Be a citizen of the United States of America or an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence to the United States of America and its territories and possessions or any lawfully admitted non-citizen residing in the United States specifically approved by the National Commander's designee (NHQ CAP/LMM).
1) Those persons in "admitted for permanent residence" status must possess and present a current Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-151 or I-551) when making application for CAP membership. If an alien's status changes from "admitted for permanent residence" other then by reason of acquiring citizenship, the alien is no longer eligible for membership.
2) Requests for waiver of the citizenship criteria for lawfully admitted non-citizens residing in the United States who were not admitted for permanent residence will be submitted through the wing and region commander along with a copy of the membership application to NHQ CAP/LMM. The waiver, if approved, will be only for the period of residence within the United States.

If you are 18 now and you intended to join CAP next year upon entering the US (at age 19?) you would have to join as a Senior Member... If you managed to join before your 19th birthday you could possibly join as a Cadet.  I've quoted part of the requirements for senior membership above, but these requirements are also similar for non-citizens seeking cadet membership.

I'm not sure how much you would be able to get out of the CAP flight training program as an 18+ cadet or senior.  I do know that orientation flights in  powered aircraft are limited to cadets who are under 18 and flight training opportunities within CAP for a senior are very limited.... Glider flying is also less prevalent than powered flying in CAP it seems although glider training might be more open to older cadets and seniors.

If you will be a glider pilot (provided your rating(s) transfer), go for an instructor rating and fly cadets!

Mike Johnston

Bluesky

Quote2) Requests for waiver of the citizenship criteria for lawfully admitted non-citizens residing in the United States who were not admitted for permanent residence will be submitted through the wing and region commander along with a copy of the membership application to NHQ CAP/LMM. The waiver, if approved, will be only for the period of residence within the United States.

Ok, thanks MIKE.

But now i have some more questions.
1. How difficult is it to get a permission from NHQ CAP/LMM?

2 What is the difference between a Cadet and a Senior Member? :-[

Greg

Quote from: Bluesky on June 09, 2005, 05:37:34 PM
Quote2) Requests for waiver of the citizenship criteria for lawfully admitted non-citizens residing in the United States who were not admitted for permanent residence will be submitted through the wing and region commander along with a copy of the membership application to NHQ CAP/LMM. The waiver, if approved, will be only for the period of residence within the United States.

The mass and width of a cadet is significantly less than the mass and width of a Senior Member  ;)
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Major_Chuck

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

pixelwonk

Quote from: Greg
The mass and width of a cadet is significantly less than the mass and width of a Senior Member ;)

We who are about to donut...
salute you.  ;D

MIKE

1. How difficult is it to get a permission from NHQ CAP/LMM?

That I do not know, but I do know of at least one case where such a waiver was granted for someone in a similar situation such as yourself.  I can ask around and possibly find out for you.

Cadets range in age from 12 to 20... Senior Members range in age from 18-20 and 21+... There are some slight differences in the senior program for the 18-20 crowd, but this is not much different than those of us who are 21+.

I joined as a cadet when I was 16 and remained a cadet until turning 21... I liked and still enjoy the military aspects of the cadet program.  Nowadays the Cadet Program might be less interesting to someone who is already 18 and attending college or university like yourself... Cadets today tend to be a bit younger, but this will only be an option if you are able to join before turning 19... One advantage being that cadet membership is cheaper yearly than senior membership... An important factor to consider for all college/university students.

As a senior member you would have opportunities to work with Cadet Programs, Aerospace Education and Emergency Services... Usually you will find that the senior program is bit more mature than the cadet program... Also, we're not here just to support the cadet program.... We have our own program just for seniors.

Seniors do get to have fun too.  ;D
Mike Johnston

Greg

Quote from: tedda on June 09, 2005, 08:18:05 PM
The mass and width of a cadet is significantly less than the mass and width of a Senior Member ;)

salute you.  ;D

Russell Crowe would make such a kick-*** Senior Member!

Hehe, how about photoshopping a donut into his left hand?  ;D

EDIT: Staying on that train of thought, imagine the caption for that!!!!  "This is MY donut, and nobody will take it away from me!!!!!!!!!"
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

pixelwonk

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major_Chuck

Quote from: Greg on June 10, 2005, 02:40:02 AM
Quote from: tedda on June 09, 2005, 08:18:05 PM

salute you.  ;D

Can we put a telephone in his hand that he could be throwing?

Russell Crowe would make such a kick-*** Senior Member!

Hehe, how about photoshopping a donut into his left hand?  ;D

EDIT: Staying on that train of thought, imagine the caption for that!!!!  "This is MY donut, and nobody will take it away from me!!!!!!!!!"
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Major_Chuck

"This is my aussie pie donut and if you don't like it I will hurl a telephone at you!"
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Cecil DP

When I was the Massachusetts wing Personnel Office we had a several Non-citizens who were attending HArvard, MIT, and other schools join CAP. As stated earlie there is a requirement to get the approval of the Wing, Region, and National Headquarters. The processing time is usually about a month.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

TankerT

I can confirm that non-US citizens are allowed to join CAP.  You do need to request a waiver through channels up to NHQ.  One unit in my Group just had a member who is a Polish citizen join, and has a citizen of India waiting for his waiver to be processed.  Please note that one of these members has a Green Card, and the other has a valid work visa.  I'm not certain what other situations would be accepted.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

NIN

We had a fellow who was a British subject here on a year work visa (for an internship) join CAP. He was a midshipman in the Royal Naval Reserve and under strict instructions from his OC that he was not to wear any of those "bloody American uniforms."

Made for some interesting looks when we showed up to Winter Hawk, James in his DPMs and beret.   A Hawk staffer looked him up and down about four times and said "What the hell are you?"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

tomcat

Yes, non-Citizens can join. My paperwork went from Squadron to Wing to Group to Nat'l, took about 7 months total.  8)

PS: No Greencard (yet), just a good old H1B visa.
Markus C. Decker, 1st Lt, CAP

Westernslope

There is a story in the New CAP magazine about a former West German Colonel who is in CAP.  He had his Gil Robb Wilson Award before he had his American citizenship.

tomcat

Quote from: Cadetofthe60s on January 21, 2006, 03:34:46 AM
There is a story in the New CAP magazine about a former West German Colonel who is in CAP.  He had his Gil Robb Wilson Award before he had his American citizenship.

Yeah, I really enjoyed how they confused West and East Germany. Small difference ...  ;D
Markus C. Decker, 1st Lt, CAP

lordmonar

My wife is a Japaneses citizen, she already had her green card and NHQ did not blink an eye in processing her application.

If you are on a student visa I don't see why National would have any problems approving the waiver.

Good Luck.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on March 18, 2006, 08:28:34 AM
My wife is a Japaneses citizen, she already had her green card and NHQ did not blink an eye in processing her application.

If you are on a student visa I don't see why National would have any problems approving the waiver.

Good Luck.

Green card holders are easy. Visa holders appear to take longer. YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Westernslope

Quote from: tomcat on March 18, 2006, 03:49:36 AM

Yeah, I really enjoyed how they confused West and East Germany. Small difference ...  ;D

Who confused West and East Germany?

Pylon

Quote from: Cadetofthe60s on March 19, 2006, 04:00:12 AM
Quote from: tomcat on March 18, 2006, 03:49:36 AM

Who confused West and East Germany?

The good colonel was from West Gemany.  The CAP magazine, Volunteer, referred to him as from West Germany in some places and East Germany in others.  Bad editing.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP