Main Menu

So the trailer is toxic

Started by CLB, August 08, 2007, 02:31:21 AM

JC004

JC004

Quote from: SarDragon on August 10, 2007, 07:00:34 PM
Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on August 10, 2007, 06:55:16 PM
Quote from: docspur on August 10, 2007, 05:37:35 PM
PA people know how to do that...been doing it for a long time... ie: philly cheese steak & lebanon bologna.  Your arteries scream in terror while you are enjoying yourself...and they make money. ;)

Don't forget scrapple!

Gonna be gettin' some of that fine stuff next week! MM-MM-good!

You are coming to invade us?

Skyray

Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Skyray on August 10, 2007, 07:38:22 PM
Quote from: JC004 on August 10, 2007, 07:27:47 PM
Quote from: Skyray on August 10, 2007, 07:13:40 PM
Scrapple?  Is that anything like Chittlin's?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple     :)

Sheesh!  That's worsen chittlin's.

Naah - fry up the scrapple until it's just crispy on the outside and put on just a little ketchup... good stuff, even if it does all but cause coronary vasospasm at the first bite  ;D

Some scrapple-related recipes: http://www.habbersettscrapple.com/news.html
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

SarDragon

Quote from: JC004 on August 10, 2007, 07:28:34 PM
PA people know how to do that...been doing it for a long time... ie: philly cheese steak & lebanon bologna.  Your arteries scream in terror while you are enjoying yourself...and they make money. ;)

Don't forget scrapple!

Flying into Philly Int'l, and spending our time in So Jer, within listening distance of the airport.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Quote from: SarDragon on August 10, 2007, 08:38:31 PM

Don't forget scrapple!

Flying into Philly Int'l, and spending our time in So Jer, within listening distance of the airport.

I'm sorry to hear that.  I'm not far from that miserable airport myself.  Also, try not to clog your heart too much. 

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: SarDragon on August 10, 2007, 08:38:31 PM

Don't forget scrapple!

My condolences  :) I work about two miles from PHL; we keep the windows and doors closed so that we don't get drowned out by departure flights.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Skyray

You're not going to last long enough to lose your hearing if you keep eating artery blockers and carnage.
Doug Johnson - Miami

SarDragon

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on August 10, 2007, 08:57:43 PMMy condolences  :) I work about two miles from PHL; we keep the windows and doors closed so that we don't get drowned out by departure flights.

We're on the approach side of things. We can see mom's house out the left side of the plane as we fly down the river on final. When we moved in there in '59, the base to final turn was right over the house. Don't recall when the approach changed.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Skyray on August 10, 2007, 09:00:01 PM
You're not going to last long enough to lose your hearing if you keep eating artery blockers and carnage.

This is why I eat scrapple all of three times a year at most; that just makes it even more of a treat  ;D

As for my hearing, I have twenty years of siren exposure to take care of that for me so far.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA

Skyray

The beautiful thing about the jet notch is that it is right in the middle of the female voice range.  I can hear you just fine, but my wife has to shout.
Doug Johnson - Miami

JohnKachenmeister

Explosions, small arms fire, airplane noise, and sirens have destroyed my hearing of the female voice ranges.  I can't hear a thing my wife says, and the higher her frustration octaves go, the less I can make out.

Life is good.

Hearing loss is proof that God has forgiven Adam for his Original Sin.
Another former CAP officer

RogueLeader

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 11, 2007, 01:55:07 AM
Explosions, small arms fire, airplane noise, and sirens have destroyed my hearing of the female voice ranges.  I can't hear a thing my wife says, and the higher her frustration octaves go, the less I can make out.

Life is good.

Huh!!! gotta speak up. . . my hearing isn't as good as it once was. . . . ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SARMedTech

Life is good.

One of EMS services I work for gives headsets with microphones to everyone except the driver and I always wear earplugs if I am in the box running code 3. Ive got a nice pair that let me hear my patient but drown out the siren.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: SARMedTech on August 11, 2007, 11:52:58 PM

Life is good.

One of EMS services I work for gives headsets with microphones to everyone except the driver and I always wear earplugs if I am in the box running code 3. Ive got a nice pair that let me hear my patient but drown out the siren.

Drown out a siren but allow you to hear a pt?
I would LOVE to know about these.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SARMedTech

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 14, 2007, 01:48:13 AM
Quote from: SARMedTech on August 11, 2007, 11:52:58 PM

Life is good.

Drown out a siren but allow you to hear a pt?
I would LOVE to know about these.

Yeah...they are called sound dampers. There the ones that look like hearing aides in your ears. What you can do is dial them in so that noise above a certain decibel level is eliminated or at least greatly reduced, but below that level yoy can still here. I wear mine doing TacMed, especially when we toss a flash-bang. I can hear it but just barely, but I can leave them in and still hear my Captain when he talks to me and am able to do a post entry med check on the guys on the team and am able to take out the dampers. Obviously you couldnt take a BP or listen to lung sounds with them in, you get my point.

Check out COPSPLUS.com...I think they carry them for police and military use. Or you just google "sound dampers" and should be able to get them no problem. I paid about $30 for mine but they have been worth every penny. I even pop them in when I am standing there waiting for the extrication team to get done with all of their loud toys. Ive got about 50% hearing loss in my left ear and dont want to lose any more if I can help it.

If you cant find them, let me know and I will try to remember where I got mine.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Major Carrales

I learned today that our GROUP has one of the trailers.

Is this really a major problem for what we use them for?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

mikeylikey

^ No not really.  Air the thing out and you should be good to go.  A few fans for about 3 hours with the door and windows open should just about do it.  It also helps get rid of the musty smell since it was most likely from the 2002 production lot.
What's up monkeys?

SARMedTech

One of the biggest problems with the trailers that I have seen so far is the presence of black mold and that cant be aired out and can cause a whole host of health problems, many of them fatal, particularly respiratory related syndromes. If my choice were the formaldehyde or the black mold, Id take the formaldehyde.
"Corpsman Up!"

ELTHunter

Our Group received one of these trailers.  We had planned to equip it with VHF, HF and airband comm equipment as a mobile command center.  We were told recently that the trailers were subject to recall by FEMA and that we couldn't make any permenant changes to them such as drilling holes and mounting equipment.  Since these trainers, as I understand them, are basically camping trailers with beds, countertops, etc. in them, they won't make the most ideal command center without modification.

Anybody else heard anything about such prohibitions?  What's the deal, are we just storing these things for FEMA until they need them again?
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer