Main Menu

So the trailer is toxic

Started by CLB, August 08, 2007, 02:31:21 AM

CLB

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20165754/#storyContinued

As if FEMA "issuing" these to us has not been enough of a cluster **** already...now this.

Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

isuhawkeye

the hazards associated with these trailers were well documented before they were offered up. 

National news outlets have been doing stories for months. 

By the way.  Your not planning on living in the thing are you?

Pylon

Quote from: isuhawkeye on August 08, 2007, 02:40:13 AM
By the way.  Your not planning on living in the thing are you?

Heh, hopefully nobody really has!   :-\
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SARMedTech

Im doing a field internship with FEMA now and most employees and experts think these things should just be buried or burned. They are definitely not fit for habitation and the ones I have seen are falling apart like they are made of cardboard.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

CLB

Now I'm so totally confused on what we should do with these things that I really don't know what to do.  I've asked the higher ups for pics on how to mount the equipment...was told not to modify it in any way.  Yet the same day I receive a bracket to mount to the outside for an antenna.  Apparently a 40' retractable mast is coming very soon. 

Now we're not allowed to even go in the thing because of the formaldehyde (sp?).  Nevermind I lived in a new off the lot 40' Bounder Class A motorhome for 2 years and have asthma.....because some crackpot news ogginization breaks a story about a few people suffering from exposure...we cant even go in it until this blows over. 

Maybe I got these people's trailer....there was a woman's razor and a bottle of baby lotion in the medicine cabinet.  Disgusting to say the least. 

isuhawkeye:  I wouldn't live in this thing if they paid me.  :D   

As of now I don't want to even look at the thing....
Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron

Skyray

I am probably going to die of some horrible disease when I am ninety, but in the early 70s I bought a travel trailer that had a funny smell.  The dealer told me that was because they preserved the wood in it with formaldehyde.  I lived in that puppy for a year because my little piece of ground didn't have utilities, and then I used it extensively for vacation travel for the next twenty years until Hurricane Andrew decapitated it.  So far, no ill effects.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

JohnKachenmeister

I drink, I fly light aircraft, I drive a Harley-Davidson motorcyle, and I formerly had a job where I had to drive real fast through traffic to get to a place where people were shooting at each other.

And I'm supposed to worry about chemical exposure in a trailer that I might spend 1-2 days a year in?

I'm WAY more worried about jealous husbands.
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

Wow....I brought up this same issue months ago, and everyone bashed me.  Now that people are getting sick......I say "Guess you should have listened to me". 

The trailers themselves can be "aired out", but needs to be done by professionals.  I think I saw on Dateline that it cost one family with a toxic trailer $4,000!  Then they complained about it saying that the cost was cutting into the profit they made from the FEMA check they received after Katrina.
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Didn't the National Commander & Co. stay in these at hawk last month?  Great, our next AP story is we made some generals/colonels sick...   :-\

Matt

Quote from: JC004 on August 09, 2007, 04:10:32 PM
Didn't the National Commander & Co. stay in these at hawk last month?  Great, our next AP story is we made some generals/colonels sick...   :-\

That could explain some things...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

pixelwonk

They had one with a handsome wrap on it for the recruiting booth at EAA.  the air blows real cold in those trailers!  I myself was in and out of one all week, printing off the closest squadrons to prospective members, with no ill effects. 

In fact, my sensory perception went way up since then.  I can see swirling colors and auras coming off everybody's heads.

Oh, and the ladies really love my facial tic. They say it's cute.

JC004

Quote from: tedda on August 10, 2007, 04:45:08 PM
They had one with a handsome wrap on it for the recruiting booth at EAA.  the air blows real cold in those trailers!  I myself was in and out of one all week, printing off the closest squadrons to prospective members, with no ill effects. 

In fact, my sensory perception went way up since then.  I can see swirling colors and auras coming off everybody's heads.

Oh, and the ladies really love my facial tic. They say it's cute.

that reminds me...part of the marketing plan is van wraps </OT>

MIKE

The company my dad works for does those.
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

Did every Wing get at least one trailer?  I know Hawk MTN has 8 of them just sitting on the side of a MTN if anyone would like one.  I just heard the PAWG Wing Commander will rent the trailers out if any CAP group needs one for an activity.  I am so glad PAWG is finding ways to make $$, while at the same time possibly killing people. 
What's up monkeys?

docspur

PA people know how to do that...been doing it for a long time... ie: philly cheese steak & lebanon bologna.  Your arteries scream in terror while you are enjoying yourself...and they make money. ;)

Capt DL Spurlock, Commander
NCR-MO-127 - Trail of Tears Composite Squadron

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

JC004

Quote from: docspur on August 10, 2007, 05:37:35 PM
PA people know how to do that...been doing it for a long time... ie: philly cheese steak & lebanon bologna.  Your arteries scream in terror while you are enjoying yourself...and they make money. ;)

mmm

fyrfitrmedic

Don't forget scrapple!
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

SarDragon

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on August 10, 2007, 06:55:16 PM

Don't forget scrapple!

Gonna be gettin' some of that fine stuff next week! MM-MM-good!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Skyray

Scrapple?  Is that anything like Chittlin's?
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member