Blue Golf Shirt Wear & Trousers Requirements!!!

Started by RADIOMAN015, August 03, 2007, 05:47:51 PM

RADIOMAN015

;D  Wow, anybody see the recent picture on the CAP website for news showing the pilot from NV wing wearing the Blue Golf Shirts with the CAP emblem & his name/aero rating BUT he was wearing denim jeans rather than those medium grey pants.  Personally, I see no reason why other pants styles & colors can't be worn with those blue Golf shirts.  Personally I kind of like the denim blue jeans idea..  Perhaps NV wing has supplemented the uniform manual. ???   

IceNine

couldn't be a supplement, supplements can only make the regs more restrictive not more lenient
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiverAux

The right way to go is to standardize the pants in some way.  Right now "greyish" seems to be the rule and I've seen dozens of intepretations that ensure a big lack of uniformity.  I don't think jeans are the way to go though. 

you're right they should standardize better than the any shade of grey so long as it's not jeans.  It looks horrible when you get 3 or 4 people in the golf shirt and pants combination and they've all got different types of greys on it doesn't look professional or dear I it, "uniform"?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Sgt. Savage

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 03, 2007, 06:32:45 PM
you're right they should standardize better than the any shade of grey so long as it's not jeans.  It looks horrible when you get 3 or 4 people in the golf shirt and pants combination and they've all got different types of greys on it doesn't look professional or dear I it, "uniform"?

They only look horrible if they have the same blue shirt on. They look abominable when they each wear a different version of tho polo and a different style trouser

RogueLeader

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 03, 2007, 07:04:19 PM
Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 03, 2007, 06:32:45 PM

They only look horrible if they have the same blue shirt on. They look abominable when they each wear a different version of tho polo and a different style trouser
rotf,lmao
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

Volunteer shows a cadet major with insignia facing the wrong way...   :(

Sgt. Savage

Quote from: JC004 on August 03, 2007, 07:11:22 PM

????

How do you get a pair of diamonds backward?

floridacyclist

90 deg off?

That's about like the cadet on the national website with a green vest on.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

pixelwonk

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 03, 2007, 07:22:57 PM
Quote from: JC004 on August 03, 2007, 07:11:22 PM

????

How do you get a pair of diamonds backward?

Page 42.

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Nomex Maximus

I hate the golf shirt uniform. What I hate most about it are the pants. In real life I rarely ever wear anything other than jeans. The polyester dockers that are required feel - weird. My wallet bulges out and I have to keep my car keys in a front pocket. Hate those pants when I am flying. Hate em hate em hate em. That is why I got the BBDU for gound work and the flightsuit for airborne.
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

The only requirement for the pants is that they are grey and not jeans.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

SarDragon

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, table 4-1, item 4Commercial dress trousers of medium gray flannel, tropical worsted, or
similar commercial blend, full cut, straight hanging, with or without pleats,
with or without cuffs. (No jeans or causal trousers made of cotton or twill
fabric.) Front of trouser legs rests on the front of shoe or boot. No bunching
at waist or sagging at seat. Trousers must be worn at natural waist.

[bold = most recent change text]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Nomex Maximus

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Sgt. Savage

Quote from: Al Sayre on August 03, 2007, 07:44:37 PM
Cadet Majors only wear 1 diamond...

I was picturing BDUs in my head. I could see messing one up but not both. Saw the picture though. Impressive...

SarDragon

Stuff happens.

The first time I put RR tracks on my new BDUs, I didn't look at the 39-1 pic first, and got them 90° off. The folks at the squadron got a good laugh over it. Some months later, our (Mitchell cadet) Dep Cdr for Cadets did exactly the same thing on her new BDU shirt. She was much less understanding of the humour of the situation. (What a tight-[FPOC]!)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 03, 2007, 05:47:51 PM
;D  Wow, anybody see the recent picture on the CAP website for news showing the pilot from NV wing wearing the Blue Golf Shirts with the CAP emblem & his name/aero rating BUT he was wearing denim jeans rather than those medium grey pants.  Personally, I see no reason why other pants styles & colors can't be worn with those blue Golf shirts.  Personally I kind of like the denim blue jeans idea..  Perhaps NV wing has supplemented the uniform manual. ???   

When you put the kibosh on PAWG and CAWG then you can come complain about some old timer wearing his blue jeans.  At least he had his CAP polo on.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JC004

Quote from: lordmonar on August 04, 2007, 05:16:31 AM

When you put the kibosh on PAWG and CAWG then you can come complain about some old timer wearing his blue jeans.  At least he had his CAP polo on.

Don't destroy my wing.  I need something to conquer.

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on August 04, 2007, 05:23:21 AM

^^ And I need to invade, I mean take over, opps, join  ;D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 04, 2007, 05:25:22 AM

...and after I arm the wing, we are convoying to VA for a discussion with Vanguard   >:D

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on August 04, 2007, 05:29:35 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on August 04, 2007, 05:25:22 AM

...and after I arm the wing, we are convoying to VA for a discussion with Vanguard   >:D

Then we are going to "tour" Maxwell AFB, shortly after discussing Prostitution in NV as a fund raiser.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Carrales

Folks just can't "get casual" without looking like a slob, I guess.  What's next?  Oversized pants and a backward hat? ;)

Must look very professional...maybe I can wear a my golf shirt with my "Tom and Jerry" PJs.

As you can tell, I am no fan of the Golf Shirt.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 04, 2007, 05:38:34 AM
Folks just can't "get casual" without looking like a slob, I guess.  What's next?  Oversized pants and a backward hat? ;)

Must look very professional...maybe I can wear a my golf shirt with my "Tom and Jerry" PJs.

Really, :o I hadn't noticed. ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Grumpy

National Hq should not have allowed a photo of an unauthorized uniform combination to be published in the Volunteer Magazine in the first place.

SAR-EMT1

Good I like the idea of a shotgun divorce!
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Major Carrales

Really... ;)  I avoid the things in my own wear...also, a Tee Shirt is underwear.  I would say my normal dress is 95% button shirts.  It's not "painful" to wear them.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Quote from: Grumpy on August 04, 2007, 05:44:17 AM
National Hq should not have allowed a photo of an unauthorized uniform combination to be published in the Volunteer Magazine in the first place.

Public Affairs at NHQ used to really have a reputation for catching these sorts of things, but they really seemed to have slipped the last few years. 

sparks

I wonder what happened when the wing commander saw the picture? Maybe nothing or possibly uniform counseling. Any uniform can be worn improperly if permitted, heck I've seen people wearing BDU's and flight suits with tennis shoes, talk about standing out. Yes there was a counseling session on the spot. I like the golf shirt and slacks because it's easy to put on and comfortable in the heat of summer.

Everyone in a Nomex flight suit has my admiration in August when the temps and humidity go crazy.

The answer is knowledgeable enforcement of the regulations as written. Of course that means the people in charge have to know what the rules are. That's another discussion string.

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on August 04, 2007, 02:25:05 PM
Quote from: Grumpy on August 04, 2007, 05:44:17 AM

Public Affairs at NHQ used to really have a reputation for catching these sorts of things, but they really seemed to have slipped the last few years. 

No...really!    Remember the Chaplains in the ACUs?  A few years ago I submitted some photos of my cadets doing a flag ceremony and everyone of them got axed because none of the cadets were in 100% correct uniforms.  Some where wearing Gortex, some did no have wing patches on, and one did not have a white on blue name tape.

But on the other side of the proverbial coin.  It is better to get faces and name in the paper than to insure that everyone is 100% correct in uniform.

Major Carrales

This is an example of "the continually slidding line."  If people can't wear service dress correctly, we created a golf shirt combo with grey pants...no jeans.  So then someone wears jeans.  So then they allow jeans, but in a good condition...not faded and no tears.  Then someone wears them faded...so we draw the line again.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Nick Critelli

I always considered the golf shirt as a recreational uniform...and I use the term uniform lightly.  I wouldn't want to see one on a mission. 

arajca

I've started seeing it more at mission bases. Usually worn by pilots and aircrew who are not in flight positions, i.e. AOBD, brief/debrief, safety, etc. It is good for that because it makes it a little easier to determine which flying types should be in the back of the mission base and which should be in the staging areas. Plus, it provides a - dare I say it - UNIFORM appearance for the staff.

lordmonar

The Polo shirt was a popular option for the ICS/MBC guys at NESA.

It's also a good combination for those who go to their squadron meetings straight from work easier to change into.  Sometimes it's as easy as changing your shirt. 

Also for any non-air crew members it's a great flying uniform in the summer when it gets very hot in that cabin.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

jimmydeanno

I wear the golf shirt and polo shirt combos occassionally.  I think I look mighty dapper in them.  I think they present a professional appearance to people who don't understand the whole 'military' thing and makes you a little more approachable in those situations.

However, I do think that many people miss the intent of the uniform.

When I wear mine, I wear the Polo Shirt w/ Observer Wings, a plain black leather belt with open style silver buckle, charcoal grey dress slacks-no pleats, black un-patterned dress socks, and black leather shoes (http://www.florsheim.com/flstore/style.do?cID=10448).

Personally, I don't think that light grey looks all that good with the polos or grey/white and I don't think that cargo pants are appropriate either.  Honestly, I think they should pick a style and shade, make them available through vanguard and call it a day.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 06, 2007, 03:53:38 PM
  Honestly, I think they should pick a style and shade, make them available through vanguard and call it a day.

Now that would be too easy.  Much better to leave it vague and we all fend for ourselves.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

flyerthom

You really want Scranton ?

Dude, Dramamine is your friend ...
TC

JC004

Quote from: flyerthom on August 06, 2007, 08:36:13 PM

You really want Scranton ?

Dude, Dramamine is your friend ...

Some portions of the wing will be auctioned off after my take-over.  I've been planning this all out since I was a cadidiot.

flyerthom

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 04, 2007, 05:38:34 AM

Somewhere out there right now is a cadet - on you tube-

CAP RAPPER!

Boom ba boom ba boom...
TC

floridacyclist

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 05, 2007, 04:46:18 PM
This is an example of "the continually slidding line." 

First we allow minor mis-spellings. Next thing you know, whole words are missing or typed out in text- and leet-speak. End result is that Cyrillic is acceptable on here.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

SarDragon

Gene, I'm gonna pirate that, with your permission, to use in my role as Grammar Cop.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ELTHunter

Quote from: arajca on August 05, 2007, 06:11:34 PM
I've started seeing it more at mission bases. Usually worn by pilots and aircrew who are not in flight positions, i.e. AOBD, brief/debrief, safety, etc. It is good for that because it makes it a little easier to determine which flying types should be in the back of the mission base and which should be in the staging areas. Plus, it provides a - dare I say it - UNIFORM appearance for the staff.

Most of the time I wear the blue AF style service dress, AF style BDU's or a flight suit depending upon the occasion.  I wear them all correctly and with the respect they deserve.  However, I'll have to say that I like the golf shirt in the summer, even for flying, because it is MUCH cooler.  (Purists, don't bother telling me about the hazards of not wearing nomax, I've understand the argument, I just don't think it's warrented in a Cessna.)  I also think the the grey BDU's ought to be authorized to wear with the golf shirt in cases where BDU's or a flight suit is also appropriate.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

RogueLeader

Quote from: ELTHunter on August 07, 2007, 12:11:09 AM
the grey BDU's ought to be authorized to wear with the golf shirt

Grey BDU's? ??? What do they look like? Never seen them before.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 07, 2007, 03:47:06 AM

grey BDU pants...I think Old Lincoln County sells them and markets them specifically for CAP wear

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on August 07, 2007, 03:50:28 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on August 07, 2007, 03:47:06 AM

grey BDU pants...I think Old Lincoln County sells them and markets them specifically for CAP wear

How, they aren't even authorized for CAP.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Fifinella

So, it's been said before, but...the golf shirt is often the appropriate uniform for inter-agency meetings/events where all the other agencies are wearing embroidered polo shirts.

And, would you believe, a squadron commander drove cadets to Encampment this year wearing the golf shirt with torn, raggedy jean-cutoff-shorts and flip-flops!!!!??  Some folks really don't get it.  >:(

Yes, I wear AF-style uniforms 95% of the time.  But I wear the golf shirt combo too, especially when meeting with other agencies.  It's all about presenting a professional image, as has been said ad nauseum.  Often HOW you wear your uniform is more important than which uniform you choose to wear.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Hawk200

I think the thing that puzzles me the most about the golf shirt is that it requires grey pants with it. Most places that wear that style of shirt wear khaki pants with it. It's always made me wonder.

We're not supposed to understand it.  It's like when you take medicine to get better and it has side effects.  You take this stuff to get better but it makes you sick another way.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Hawk200

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 07, 2007, 08:20:13 PM
We're not supposed to understand it. 

True. I don't wear it any way, so it's really a moot point to me.

davedove

I wonder how some of the folks who are so against the golf shirt combo would react to the following:

At an event the director states, "In the interest of maintaining a uniform appearance, the uniform for the activity will be the golf shirt combination."

Not that we can ever seem to get uniformity anyway, but I think it's an interesting question.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

RiverAux

He would have just as much luck as anyone else who tries to enforce the wear of a specific uniform by seniors -- some will not have that uniform and will wear something else.  There is no "basic" uniform that every adult CAP member must have that could practically be used when total uniformity is desired.

Hawk200

Quote from: davedove on August 07, 2007, 08:26:21 PM
I wonder how some of the folks who are so against the golf shirt combo would react to the following:

At an event the director states, "In the interest of maintaining a uniform appearance, the uniform for the activity will be the golf shirt combination."

Not that we can ever seem to get uniformity anyway, but I think it's an interesting question.

I guess I'd be going home. I don't even have one. Don't have any grey pants either. All my stuff is khaki.

Fifinella

Quote from: RiverAux on August 07, 2007, 08:46:01 PM
There is no "basic" uniform that every adult CAP member must have that could practically be used when total uniformity is desired.

Actually, there is:

CAPM 39-1   23 MARCH 2005

1-5. Uniform Combinations.
Members will equip themselves with the basic uniform. The minimum basic uniforms for male and female cadets and senior members, which will satisfy most occasions, are listed below.

a. Minimum Basic Service Uniform.  Male: Short-sleeve, light blue shirt; dark blue trousers; blue
belt/silver buckle, blue flight cap; black shoes, and socks.  Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch,
collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight cap emblem.   Female: Short-sleeve light
blue blouse; Dark blue skirt or slacks; flight cap; neutral nylon hose; black shoes; black handbag. 
Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch, collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight
cap emblem.

b. CAP Distinctive Basic Uniform (senior members only). Male:  Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt;
gray trousers; black belt; black shoes and socks.  Insignia:  CAP nameplate, embroidered epaulet sleeve. 
Female:  Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt; gray slacks or skirt; plain black shoes. Insignia:  CAP
nameplate, embroidered epaulet sleeve.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Fifinella on August 08, 2007, 03:28:05 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on August 07, 2007, 08:46:01 PM
There is no "basic" uniform that every adult CAP member must have that could practically be used when total uniformity is desired.

Actually, there is:

CAPM 39-1   23 MARCH 2005

1-5. Uniform Combinations.
Members will equip themselves with the basic uniform. The minimum basic uniforms for male and female cadets and senior members, which will satisfy most occasions, are listed below.

a. Minimum Basic Service Uniform.  Male: Short-sleeve, light blue shirt; dark blue trousers; blue
belt/silver buckle, blue flight cap; black shoes, and socks.  Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch,
collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight cap emblem.   Female: Short-sleeve light
blue blouse; Dark blue skirt or slacks; flight cap; neutral nylon hose; black shoes; black handbag. 
Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch, collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight
cap emblem.

b. CAP Distinctive Basic Uniform (senior members only). Male:  Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt;
gray trousers; black belt; black shoes and socks.  Insignia:  CAP nameplate, embroidered epaulet sleeve. 
Female:  Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt; gray slacks or skirt; plain black shoes. Insignia:  CAP
nameplate, embroidered epaulet sleeve.

But even so you are still liable to have two distinctly seperate uniforms - the AF Blue and the Corporate.
And that is the point the is no Single SHIRT and Single PANT that EVERYONE - skinny, shaved, fat, fuzzy - has in their closet.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Fifinella

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

RiverAux

Hmmm, anyone care to bet how many senior members don't meet the minimum requirement?  We might need to advertise that just a bit more....