Some old school pictures from mid 80s.

Started by Stonewall, August 02, 2007, 01:10:37 AM

Stonewall

Some pics from around 86-87 during survival training.  Yes, before CPPT.

Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Air Ground Operations School.  Something I never experienced but saw videos, pictures and heard tons of stories about.  I showed up to National Capital Wing too late.  I think their last AGOS running was 1990, I got there in 1992.

The Staff:  75% former cadets, Mitchell and higher.  75% prior military, to include Special Forces, Ranger, and Airborne Infantry.  All ground team member or leader.  Cadets and Seniors.

The Setting:  Ft. Belvoir, VA Training Areas 8 and 9 (a huge area) all to themselves.  [Then] Ft. Belvoir (Davison AAF) Air Assault School obstacle course and rappel tower plus AAS Instructors available.  NO RANK for students, only a roster number taped to their fatigue hat.  Students were cadets and seniors alike totaling between 25 and 45 from what I understand.

Training:  7 days straight, all in the field.  Survival, first and foremost.  I have pictures from AGOS of them killing/eating both chickens and rabbits, living in natural shelters, washing in the creek, boiling water, building fires....  Tactical radio communications.  Setting up different types of radios and antennas.  Signalling exercises (mirror, panels, natural).  Water survival in Pohic bay to include water crossings, poncho rafts, etc.  Ropes course to include rappelling (wall and skid); negotiating the obstacle course several times over different days.  Land navigation out the wazzoo.  ELT tracking.  Lost person search.  Team level SAR competitions.  Medical training from 18Ds.  And the bread and butter of the course, air/ground coordination/communications.

Graduation:  No tabs, not bells and whistles, not even a certificate.  Just excellent training in leadership, followership, core operational skills, life skills and a gut check.  No one was ever hazed, just treated as equals while enduring some good training.

This went on for at least 5 or 6 years, starting in either '85 or '86.  I actually have the photos that belonged to the squadron because the guy that took command after my time was a POS who lost everything from the actual Charter we had hanging on the wall from 1960-something, to a brand new L'Per.

The "survival" pictures also came from AGOS.

AGOS Formation.

AGOS Inspection.

Rucksack Flop.

Old school ruck march...

Serving since 1987.

SARMedTech

Do any of these activities still go on?  Looks like great training...and we should go back to green fatigues.  ;D
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SarDragon

Who's the lucky guy who got to hump the pallet in and out?  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

Quote from: SARMedTech on August 02, 2007, 07:38:38 AM
Do any of these activities still go on?

Until I became inactive in mid-2005, yes, we still did things like this, but on a smaller scale.  The last thing we did that was remotely like the above activity was WINTEX which I have another thread.

NATCAP wing is unique in that all the squadrons are no more than about 30 minutes apart, maybe 45 on a busy day.  Mostly, the two bigger squadrons on the Virginia side, Fairfax and Mount Vernon, plus the Andrews Squadron, would often do activities of the caliber I speak of here in this thread.  From very well run survival weekends to very realistic lost person search FTX's.  We also did intra-squadron competitions with land navigation, ELT searches, and night time link-ups.

There is no doubt that we ran our squadron(s) exactly the way they were meant to be run.  Things were "HOOAH" without stupid scenes out of Full Metal Jacket.  They were fun yet challenging, and we always maintained strong military bearing in everything we did.  Cadet staff were always given a lot of responsibility and held to high standards, but never given more than they could handle.  Schedules were planned and kept, call-downs conducted and inspections every meeting, seniors and cadets.  It was awesome!  Its hard to go from that to anything else.

Quote from: SarDragon on August 02, 2007, 10:34:10 PM
Who's the lucky guy who got to hump the pallet in and out?  ;)

It was an Army base, there never seems to be an absense of pallets...
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Good thing I save everything.  Here is an article about TAC COMEX, a long lasting exercise that I think still goes on today.  I had the honor of planning and running TAC COMEX XXV.

Fairfax Squadron Hosts 25th Annual Exercise

For over 25 years members of the National Capital Wing have taken part in what's called "TAC COMEX", or Tactical Communications Exercise.  TAC COMEX, developed by Maj Derrill Ballenger, a retired Air Force Chief Master Sergeant and forward air controller in Vietnam, was the "new" Communications Officer at Mt Vernon Squadron and wanted to test the two new radios that Mt Vernon had just acquired. His goal was for the teams to unload, be given a map, a quick briefing, a radio and be on their way within one hour of arrival.  It worked.  Attendance was good.  The sorties were simple radio range tests along with map and navigation tasks to get to their testing points.  They all went home with high morale, good radio test reports and a positive outlook for our next year's COMEX.

Mt. Vernon opened up the exercises to the entire wing during TAC COMEX VI. Major Ballenger says, "I guess there is no such thing as 'ownership' of an exercise, but my
association with this is as close as they come, since I am the only person who has attended all past 25".

TAC COMEX I was held in April of 1978.  Only one year has gone by without a COMEX, and that was due to a lost training area last minute.  This activity has been held at George Washington National Forest, Quantico MCB, Ft. Belvoir, and Ft. AP Hill, but always in Virginia.

The motivation of making this a special exercise was the result of several consecutive SARCAP's where National Capital Wing Ground Teams spent inordinate amounts of time awaiting sortie assignments, lengthy briefings and then spent hours riding in the back of hot vans.  "I could sense a feeling of frustration and that the cadets didn't want to go on any more activities", said Maj Ballenger.

This year's TAC COMEX was hosted by Fairfax Squadron and held at Ft. AP Hill, Virginia over a 3-day period.  As always, Maj Ballenger and few advanced radio operators set out to the field one day prior to get the mission underway.  No different from the 24 exercises before, cadets and seniors alike were trekking through the woods, streams, and marshes of Virginia's rolling hills.  Additionally, aircrews flying 4 aircraft flew 8 training sorties totaling 23.1 hours.  Ground teams were tasked with gaining visual contact with the aircrews throughout their regularly assigned tasks using mirrors, panels, smoke, and flares.  Total number of participants this year included 26 ground team and radio operators along with 11 aircrew members.  Incident Commander for the mission was the National Capital Wing Commander, Colonel Frank McConnell.

Story by Lt Col Kirt Bowden
Fairfax Composite Squadron

I also attached the OPORD for  TAC COMEX XXV
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Here are a few pictures from TAC COMEX XXV

1st Lt Culpepper (now an AF PJ) signalling an A/C by mirror and smoke. Notice my dog.

Retired CMSGT (CAP Major) Ballenger, founder of TAC COMEX

Paying our respects to a "fallen cadet".  Sometimes cadets can't handle being away from mom and dad so we have to send them home.  This was the third time this happened with this particular cadet.

Not sure why some of the pics are showing up twice...
Serving since 1987.

alamrcn

Oh yeah.... THAT was why I first joined Civil Air Patrol.
Forgot there for a moment. Well, back to reality again!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Flying Pig

I dont recall camo face paint being part of the SAR equipment.  But I did like wearing the green fatigues.

Stonewall

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 04, 2007, 05:32:23 PM
I dont recall camo face paint being part of the SAR equipment. 

Those guys were former cadets turned 82nd Airborne, Ranger and SF types who came back one summer to offer their assistance for survival training.  I'm sure the face paint was more for effect than anything.
Serving since 1987.

citizensoldier

Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

SarDragon

Quote from: citizensoldier on September 22, 2008, 06:45:41 AM
God but I miss the old "Pickle Suits".

Still got my last one, but it don't fit no more.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Quote from: SarDragon on September 22, 2008, 09:02:24 AM
Quote from: citizensoldier on September 22, 2008, 06:45:41 AM
God but I miss the old "Pickle Suits".

Still got my last one, but it don't fit no more.  ;)

You're not fat now Dave.  You must have REALLY been skinny.  Stick out your tongue, turn sideways and look like a zipper, did you? 

BuckeyeDEJ

Got mine, too. Still has the diamonds on the collars and everything.

Unfortunately, there's no way I'd fit in it unless I was starved nearly to death now. Man....

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

SarDragon

Yeah, Grumps, really skinny. About 25 lb lighter than I am now, and NO gut at all. I did mostly gain gracefully, and it's spread out all over. Went from a 38 chest to a 42, and about 4 inches in the waist.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

I still have my old-school jungle fatigues... with the insignia sewn on the slant.. :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

BillB

<gasp> Nin wore an unauthorized uniform?  For shame (jungle fatigues were never authorized, even though widely worn)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

CAPSeahawk8

Slant pocket Jungle fatigues(OG-107) were authorised from about Apr 1990 until sometime in the mid 90's until BDU's had fully taken over. We wore them as long as we could , still the best field uniform CAP has ever had.

citizensoldier

Quote from: CAPSeahawk8 on September 23, 2008, 01:08:24 PM
Slant pocket Jungle fatigues(OG-107) were authorised from about Apr 1990 until sometime in the mid 90's until BDU's had fully taken over. We wore them as long as we could , still the best field uniform CAP has ever had.

We wore them without authorization when I was a cadet.  They look SHARP when heavily starched.  That was possibly the best US uniform ever.  The Marine ERDL jungles looked great too.

citizensoldier

Sadly or luckily we were never told not to wear them back then.

CS

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: citizensoldier on September 23, 2008, 06:33:15 PM
We wore them without authorization when I was a cadet.  ...  That was possibly the best US uniform ever. 

Same here, but only cadet officers were "authorized" to wear them.

I prefer tiger striped to the OG-107's, but would like to see them come back.  I'd give up my golf shirt for OG-107's and jungle boots.

Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

ol'fido

CAPSeahawk is correct about the jungle fatigues being authorized. They were in the 39-1 until about 1999 or 2000 when the new manual came out and they were just gone. There was no phase out period or date. I also agree that they were the best field uniform we've ever had. Much better thean the BDUs and the 107s whether with straight pockets or slants. I wore mine to encampment in 1997(first since 1983 and first as a senior). We had one Frank Burns type who had a high speed come apart and went whining to the Encampment Commander to get him to make us take them off. CC told him they were authorized, to quit whining, and while he was at it to get out of his office and don't let  the door hit him on the way out.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

NIN

Quote from: BillB on September 23, 2008, 12:00:04 PM
<gasp> Nin wore an unauthorized uniform?  For shame (jungle fatigues were never authorized, even though widely worn)

Shhhh.  Maybe nobody will realize that I was a knucklehead as a cadet. :)

Heck yeah, we wore 'em.  Unauthorized as heck in those days, too.  Way before they were (briefly) authorized while BDUs were being phased in.

:)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LtCol057

I wore the slant-pocket jungle fatigues for a short time. I about caused a Lt Col (I was just a 2nd Lt) to have a cow when several of my cadets showed up in them with boonie hats. (I had one too). I've never seen anyone turn that shade of red before.  It was great.  ;D

They were a whole lot more comfortable than the OD green fatigues we wore before that.  I had worn the OD greens WIWAC, way back in the early 70s.  Ah, memories

CAPSeahawk8

Yeah, some Lt Col's flipped out about boonies but you know sometimes you just had too..... and still wear them today in hot weather.

notaNCO forever

The ground team at my squadron used to allways wear them.

citizensoldier

Quote from: NCO forever on September 24, 2008, 07:59:43 PM
The ground team at my squadron used to allways wear them.

Depending on weather conditions in a field enviornment, I would consider them to be safety gear.  Sunburn is not a joke if it is bad enough. 

BuckeyeDEJ

Ah, the OG 507s. I think they were as good a work uniform as anything. The jungle fatigues and BDUs are sloppy, high-maintenance uniforms, and it's not easy to keep members looking neat.

Still, I like the lighter-weight ripstop material.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

LtCol057

I'm not up to date on all the uniform numbers like OG507. But if you're referring to the old OD green fatigues, here in this state (NC) we looked like inhabitants of the state hotel system, in other words, the state prisons.  Don' t know if they still wear them or not, but the only difference between us and the prisoners, was that we had rank insignia and blue/white nametapes, they had green/white.

Plus, I hated having to try to keep the shirt tucked into the pants.

BuckeyeDEJ

Yip, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The old Air Force fatigues.

I wore them as a cadet (beginning in 1984), then in (very) later years as a cadet wore the jungle fatigues.

LtCol057

Yea, I wore them as a cadet in MDWg in 1970.  For most of our meetings, we wore the khakis. IIRC, back then, the females didn't wear the fatigues. They wore a lt blue shirt, jeans, and a flight cap. At least, on the one and only REDCAP (I know, it dates me) I went on, that's what they were wearing.

Back then, males wore khakis, females wore the lt blue cords.  I remember first time I was wearing khakis and they started playing Retreat on post, and I had to salute. I really felt like I was somebody. I was doing something the Real Army guys on post were doing.

Stonewall

I still have my OG107 (OD Jungle Fatigues) top from when we wore them before, during and after they were authorized...although never at an official activity.  Those were and always have been my favorite uniform, especially for CAP.

Same top I wore as a cadet in what, 1989, 1990 - 1991?
Serving since 1987.

notaNCO forever

The name and CAP tapes must of been a pain to get sown on at the correct angle.

Stonewall

A lot of people sewed them so they went along the top of the pocket, aka diagonal.
Serving since 1987.

Trung Si Ma

Thats the way we did them in the Army.  The special skill badges were "straight" starting at the upper edge of the US Army tape or the name tape for foreign awards.

Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

LtCol057

Looking thru a box in the garage, I found my old jungle fatigues today. Still has my butter bar sewed on. Tried it on,  the sleeves still fit. Rest is a diffent story :-[  but then again, it WAS around 1991 when I last wore them. They have gone back into storage, to be pulled out again after I'm in a nursing home with dementia.

Stonewall

Were you a cadet LtCol057?

Of my favorite time in CAP, I think it goes back to the late 80s early 90s.  But of course, those were my cadet days.  As a senior, I really enjoyed my experiences between about '95 and '00.  I won't be renewing this year.  I tried to retire but I learned I have to be a senior for 20 years, not a total of 20 years including my time as a cadet.
Serving since 1987.

LtCol057

Yes sir, I was a cadet in MDWg back in 1970. Then my father got orders for Viet Nam, and I moved to an area that didn't have a CAP unit.

I rejoined as a senior member in 1990.  I just read the section of the 39-2 re: retirement. I was mistakenly under the inpression, my cadet time would count also. Thanks for the heads up. Even tho we've never met, I'd hate to lose you as a member. Reading some of your posts, you have alot to give for the program.

I think my favorite time in CAP, was when I first rejoined. I was real active with the cadet program. We had a very active CP in our squadron back then. We had 40 cadets, 35 active at all meetings. We had 5 C/Lt Cols at one time. Formation looked great with 3 flights. We were really active in ES, all cadets were GTM qualified, all were First Responder qualified, everyone had their ROP cards. Now, I have 17 cadets, 8-9 active at meetings, 1 has his ROA, 2 have GTM. I'm really having a hard time trying to figure out how to motivate them.  I know that's off topic, maybe should start another thread.