Lack of State Guard in Illinois

Started by SARMedTech, July 18, 2007, 08:47:55 AM

SARMedTech

I know this is the CAP forum but I have seen that there are some people who are interested and/or are members of their states State Guard. When I learned about the State Guard recently, I become very excited about the possibility of joining. Then I was crestfallen to learn that my home state of Illinois does not have a State Guard. Can anyone who is active in the SG in their State advise whether it is possible to start a SG in a state that doesnt have one, how one might go about it, etc? Do those of you who know think it might be possible to speak the Commander of the Illinois National Guard about starting a SG in Illinois. Obviously, if there are units in 22 states and Puerto Rico, someone started them at some point. Does it take an act of Congress or State Legislature, etc or can an interested individual begin the process in conjunction with their home states NG.  Any and all information I could get would be appreciated. As I say I was very dissapointed to find that Illinois has no SG...though I find mention of it in IL legislature documents and the like.  Not thinking that you obviously have to be a resident of the state in which you serve in the State Guard, I even looked at joining in neighboring Wisconsin, but alas, they are another state that does not have a SG. It seems like this could be a vital asset for Illinois and I am not sure why they dont have one, and I wonder if I would just be butting up against a brick wall to try to get one started.  Thanks for all your help in advance.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

JohnKachenmeister

State Guard forces were authorized by (I think) the Militia Act of 1916, with the purpose of giving the Governor of a state a military force for emergencies in the event the National Guard were called into Federal service.  They were authorized, but not required.

It is a political decision as to whether or not to have a state guard force, ultimately the Governor must authorize it and the Legislature must fund it.

You would, as a first step, need to determine if there is a law authorizing a non-federal NG force in Illinois.  Then you, and a million or so others, need to lobby the governor and lawmakers to create, man, and fund a force of non-federal Guardsmen.

Some states are very active, notably Texas, other states that have a state guard only fund it to a cadre level, keeping units active with leadership personnel, and planning to fill the state guard out with troops brought in if an emergency arises.

Many states cut or eliminated the state guard forces after World War II when it became unlikely that there would ever be a full, total, and long-term mobilization of the National Guard again.
Another former CAP officer

ColonelJack

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 18, 2007, 09:20:57 AM
Many states cut or eliminated the state guard forces after World War II when it became unlikely that there would ever be a full, total, and long-term mobilization of the National Guard again.

They obviously didn't foresee our current political leadership and the apparently never-ending war it seeks.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

RiverAux

The Governor of Illinois signed an Executive order reactivating the Illinois Naval Militia last year but no action has been taken to follow through on this that I have been able to find. 

About half the states have State Defense Forces right now.  California and Texas seem to have the most active and progressive programs.  Texas has a very active air component to its SDF that focuses entirely on providing support to the Texas Air National Guard. 

For more discussion I would recommend the SDF board at VA Joe http://www.vajoe.com/board/viewforum.php?id=30 which is pretty active. 

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: ColonelJack on July 18, 2007, 02:20:26 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 18, 2007, 09:20:57 AM

They obviously didn't foresee our current political leadership and the apparently never-ending war it seeks.

Jack

Even though we are in a long-term action, Jack, our level of mobilization intensity is rather low.  I don't think ANY state has had all of its National Guard mobilized at any one time.  That was, however, the case in World War II.

Florida considered re-activating its state guard, but rejected the proposal as too costly, given the fact that Florida has one of the larger NG organizations, and no current scenarios involving full federalization of the FLNG could be envisioned.

RiverAux

The more successful SDFs are focusing on augmenting NG units while they are here in the states focusing on aspects of the NG mission for which they lack personnel or time to train.  The SDFs that are still trying to operate as independent forces in anticipation of taking over for the NG are doing quite poorly. 

SARMedTech

Quote from: RiverAux on July 18, 2007, 04:11:22 PM
The more successful SDFs are focusing on augmenting NG units while they are here in the states focusing on aspects of the NG mission for which they lack personnel or time to train.  The SDFs that are still trying to operate as independent forces in anticipation of taking over for the NG are doing quite poorly. 

Arguably, the most active SG in the country is in Texas. Reading articles about them recently has shown me how much they are actually taking over certain duties of the Texas National Guard while they are deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan. The SG (also often called SDF or State Defense Forces) have medical, military police, engineering, and supply units, just to name a few. I don't believe that any SDF is anticipating taking over entirely and permanently the duties performed by any State's National Guard. However, one thing that is interesting to note, is that with the over extension of NG troops in the Middle East, a recent report shows that of the 42 (I think that was the number) divisions in the Army, the DOD recently classified a full 2/3 of them as being "unsuitable and incapable" if for needed immediate deployment due to resources and supplies that have been damaged or just plain abandoned in Iraq. Further, the same report indicates 88% of the  National Guard units from the Gulf Coast states of Louisiana and Mississippi would be "undeployable" in the event of another natural disaster like Katrina due to their overuse in the Iraqi conflict, the fact that the bulk of their supplies and weapons have been sent to Iraq, rendered unsurvivable by action and that the bulk of their National Guard troops are either already deployed in the Iraq conflict or have been killed or medically discharged due to wounds received in action there. We don't need to worry about the State Guards of various states trying to take over the duties of the NG (I don't see them staging coups any time soon) but what we do need to worry about is establishing more units of the SG or SDF around the country (only 22 states have SG units) so that while the Iraqi conflict continues they can assume the duties of their states NG. It is projected that by the time all NG troops are pulled out of Iraq, they will be so decimated that it will devastate the numbers in the ranks of the NG in all 50 states. We need the SG and we need them badly.

A point to be taken from all of this is that the mostly tongue in cheek talk on this forum about arming CAP Squadrons, extending their DR capabilities and finding ways to associate them operationally with ANG units is perhaps not all that unreasonable. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. What if CAP squadrons and Wings could be organized along the lines of the SG? What if they were armed and had medical, supply and other specialized units? Knowing what I know about many of the folks in CAP, they would be willing to drill one weekend a month and be more than happy to utilize their private weapons in a military scenario. Perhaps this is our 21st century vision. What would happen if CAP were "de-privatized" and placed under the auspices of the AF or ANG full time. It seems to me like a natural evolution and one that is becoming more necessary all the time.

I know that there are those among us (you know who you are) who will say this could never be done, wont work, CAP is private, etc. But before you do, why don't you think about it. If your state has a SG contingent, take a look at how its organized, using Army surplus and private weapons and see if, with creative imagination and hard work, if these principals could not be applied to CAP to make it a sleeker, more agile and more effective asset to the United States military. After all, just as we do, the State Guards work with the Red Cross, etc, the only difference is that they are allowed to carry out missions which cause them to be armed.  For those of you who are wholesale fans of the second amendment, think about this: the Amendment was meant to allow private citizens to bear arms for the express purpose of maintain a "well-regulated militia." I am all for the 2nd Amendment because I myself shoot competitively and own firearms for personal protection, but maybe next time we hear the NRA (yes I am a card carrier) quote "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" lets stop and think about that whole amendment in context and not just the part that gives us the right to own guns. The US or state government is not just going to go around rounding up whoever has a gun to defend itself, but it will use "well-regulated" militias. Call your Congressmen and see if we cant get more than 22 states to have militias.  (Prepares flame suit)
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

RiverAux

Texas is a little bit of a mix between the traditional and progressive SDFs and would definetely be in the top group of SDFs.  It has basically become the go-to group when emergency shelters need to be set up and has taken that over from the NG but at the same time does do a lot of NG augmentation.   

The report you referenced very likely focused on Army brigades, not divisions. 

SARMedTech

Quote from: RiverAux on July 18, 2007, 06:47:51 PM
Texas is a little bit of a mix between the traditional and progressive SDFs and would definetely be in the top group of SDFs.  It has basically become the go-to group when emergency shelters need to be set up and has taken that over from the NG but at the same time does do a lot of NG augmentation.   

The report you referenced very likely focused on Army brigades, not divisions. 

Yes youre right..it was brigades. Thanks for the correction. Unfortunately, not being former military, I dont know a brigade from a whole in the ground. Thanks again...I guess I cant even claim that fubar was a typo.  ;)
"Corpsman Up!"

dogboy

Quote from: RiverAux on July 18, 2007, 02:28:53 PM

California and Texas seem to have the most active and progressive programs. 

The California state guard (the State Military Reserve) is primarily a means by which politicians in California are rewarded for budgeting for the California National Guard. Almost every hack politician who wants to be is commissioned as a Lt Colonel (at least) whether they have any military experience or not.

Of course, the CAP legislative squadrons do exactly the same thing.

PA Guy

Quote from: dogboy on July 19, 2007, 08:44:57 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on July 18, 2007, 02:28:53 PM

California and Texas seem to have the most active and progressive programs. 

The California state guard (the State Military Reserve) is primarily a means by which politicians in California are rewarded for budgeting for the California National Guard. Almost every hack politician who wants to be is commissioned as a Lt Colonel (at least) whether they have any military experience or not.

Twentyfive yrs ago I wouldn't have given you much of an argument over your comment about the CA SMR.  However, now I suggest you take a look at their website http://www.calguard.ca.gov/casmr/ and read the profiles of the senior leadership.  Also note the things they have been doing in support of the CA Natl. Guard.  The organization has changed dramatically in the past 6 yrs.  The deadwood has been culled from the membership, approx. 600 members now as compared to 1500+ 10 yrs ago and requirements and standards have greatly improved.

JohnKachenmeister

Political appointees simply held commissions, not command.  Just so they can run around and call themselves "Colonel."  Sort of like Colonel Sanders or a Nebraska Admiral.

gallagheria

It is not a question of legislative action, but action by the governor. Every state I know of has laws authorizing a state defense force (the federal term under 32 USC 109). Only about half the states actually have one though. There are several sites you can visit dealing with SDF's.

In Illinois, here is a link to your state laws that already authorize your SDF: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=317&ChapAct=20%26nbsp%3BILCS%26nbsp%3B1815%2F&ChapterID=5&ChapterName=EXECUTIVE+BRANCH&ActName=State+Guard+Act%2E . All you would need to do is get approval from your TAG and of course the governor for the unit to be established. Do NOT try to form the unit yourself. Lobby for it and volunteer, but don't try to do what people in DC, Florida, and Colorado have done--form "provisional" ones. That will look bad and will not in any effect be legal. Good luck.

RiverAux

The CA SMR is probably the leading SDF in the country and I've certainly never heard of any political appointments there in recent years.  They regularly have paid state active duty and the CA NG actually has a job announcement out right now for a paid recruiter for the CA SMR. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: dogboy on July 19, 2007, 08:44:57 PM

That sounds like a 19th Century practice.  Even in today's world, honorary rank is thus exploited.

I think that is disgusting. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

There may be some remants of this practice in the NY Guard (their SDF) or at least this was alleged in a recent newspaper article.  This was discussed over on one of the SDF boards and I think the consensus was that it might not be totally inaccurate.  However, this was a very biased article that totally ignored some of the great things the NY Guard is doing -- they've taken on major parts of the NY NG's chemical response mission.   

gallagheria

Well, under federal law honorary titles are not allowed, even in the SDF. Political appointees, on the other hand, occur. Look at the Pentagon. Once you get up past BG, trust me, you are a political appointee and are actually confirmed by the Senate, not just "confirmed" as a whole like most officers. Look at the TAG officers and higher ups in the military dept.'s of every state--every single one (except SC) is APPOINTED by the governor.

Here in Georgia, our wing commander is also a higher up in the SDF. I don't think that is a coincidence.

RiverAux

I don't know about not being able to give honorary titles, especially within the context of the state militia system.  Several states still follow that time-honored practice of appointing people as Colonels on the Governor's military staff.  Hopefully this would be kept separate from any organized SDF system. 

Major Carrales

Starting as SDF would require monumental effort.

1) Convinve the Governor to appoint such a thing
2) get the Legislature to fund it (unless it is memebr funded...these a good one)
3) Secure membership
4) Build validity

I'd kind of like to see it happen...that would make SARMedTech the Father of said organization.  I could say I knew him when!!!  ;D
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SARMedTech

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 21, 2007, 06:38:52 PM
Starting as SDF would require monumental effort.

1) Convinve the Governor to appoint such a thing
2) get the Legislature to fund it (unless it is memebr funded...these a good one)
3) Secure membership
4) Build validity

I'd kind of like to see it happen...that would make SARMedTech the Father of said organization.  I could say I knew him when!!!  ;D

Thank you for the compliment. As many people as I tick off on a daily basis on these forums, I would probably get fragged inside a month.
"Corpsman Up!"