(Historical) What uniform is/was this?

Started by Starbird, May 11, 2018, 02:18:19 AM

Starbird

Hello all!

I found an old CAP uniform today belonging to my grandfather, which he says was worn circa 1990.  He can't remember what it was for, though.  It looks like an FDU, but it is royal/astronaut blue with short sleeves and nametapes rather than a patch.  Uniform pictures below.  Anyone know what this uniform was or where I can find more info on it?  Google yielded no viable results.  My best guess it's that it is some sort of lightweight summer FDU, but I have no clue to be honest.

Respectfully,

C/2d Lt Starbird

Eclipse

The beloved "Smurf Suit" retired in the early 2000's.

It was considered an "all duty" jumpsuit, and was replaced by the dark blue cotten jumpsuit, which eventually morphed into the non-Nomex version of the CFDU.

"That Others May Zoom"

GroundHawg

Thanks for making me feel old...

I had to wear this monstrosity at Osh Kosh. I only knew of one time outside of then that anyone ever wore it and he got laughed out of the building.
I have mine on an old and  unserviceable fire department rescue annie. I use it for practice SAR's and missing person searches.

mdickinson

Ah, the "smurf suit"! I remember those! When I joined in 1996 I saw them at every sarex.

I remember that in those days, anyone could wear the flight suit or the BDU - even those with beards. The rule was that if you had a beard or long hair, you could wear the BDU or flight suit, you just couldn't wear rank on it.

So those wearing the smurf suit weren't doing it because they weren't allowed to wear the flight suit - they were doing it because it was cheaper (even then, a new nomex flight suit was $150) and less uncomfortable in hot weather.

Luckily, in those days we had the "CAP Supply Depot" where you could order used nomex flight suits and nomex flight jackets. ...and aircraft parts!!

chuckmilam

Quote from: GroundHawg on May 11, 2018, 11:59:03 AM
I had to wear this monstrosity at Osh Kosh.
*Oshkosh.  Source:  Grew up there.

Ah yes, I remember the Blueberry Backlash that resulted in the Smurf Suit Punishment Tour.

NIN

I never had a smurf suit (in the "bad old days" of the early 1990s, before the aviator shirt uniform, there was some tendency for people to look down their noses at people who wore the "alternate" uniforms. The smurf suit, as the name implies, had an especially bad rep), but man, I'd rock the heck out of one of those today.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: chuckmilam on May 11, 2018, 01:11:47 PM

Ah yes, I remember the Blueberry Backlash that resulted in the Smurf Suit Punishment Tour.

I didn't realize you were from behind the Cheddar Curtain.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

chuckmilam

Quote from: NIN on May 11, 2018, 01:35:31 PM
I didn't realize you were from behind the Cheddar Curtain.
I mean, I may be that guy that mentions I'm from God's Country, the one True America's Dairyland, home of the original Super Bowl Champions and "a little aviation-related event you may have heard of" in just about every post. 

GroundHawg

Quote from: chuckmilam on May 11, 2018, 01:11:47 PM

When we traded uniforms with the Canadian and British Air Cadets, not surprisingly, they didn't want this awesome and stylish uniform. I had to let go of a set of BDUs.

chuckmilam

Fair trade.  Glad you didn't foist this abomination upon them.

LATORRECA

I had one as cadet. Back in the days

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AlphaSigOU

Florida Wing had a uniform wear test back in the late 1970s-early 1980s where cadets below the grade of C/SSgt could wear at their option either the 1549/1550 AF service uniform (and follow grooming standards - this was before weight standards) or the 'smurf suit', where grooming standards were optional. Once you made C/SSgt (back then it was the Rickenbacker achievement) you had to go AF-style.

Only good within the friendly confines of the Sunshine State - if you traveled outside the boundaries, you had to conform to AF-style grooming and uniform wear.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

The 'smurf suit' had open side pockets - aka 'happy pockets' that were open; the smurf suit was designed as an overgarment (as did the green flight suit BITD). Many chose to sew the happy pockets down to prevent 'gaposis' exposing undergarments.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SarDragon

I still have an order blank for the original item, from back in the '70s. I filled it out, but never sent it in, because I was suffering from a severe case of mafunzalow at the time. Kinda glad I never bought it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

chuckmilam

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 11, 2018, 07:44:28 PM
Many chose to sew the happy pockets down to prevent 'gaposis' exposing undergarments.
Argh.  I think a latent suppressed memory from my cadet days was just triggered.  Shudder.  Even worse, these were the days of tighty-whiteys. 

TheSkyHornet

The same uniform used for Space Camp  8)

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on May 11, 2018, 01:34:54 PM
I never had a smurf suit (in the "bad old days" of the early 1990s, before the aviator shirt uniform, there was some tendency for people to look down their noses at people who wore the "alternate" uniforms. The smurf suit, as the name implies, had an especially bad rep), but man, I'd rock the heck out of one of those today.

Yeah, maybe more like a blue sausage.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Storm Chaser

I had one in the late '80s as a cadet. I guess that makes me old as well. [emoji6]