Aerospace Dimensions 1st edition

Started by Cadetter, December 07, 2017, 03:37:52 PM

Cadetter

Does anyone know where to find Aerospace Dimensions, 1st edition online? On Earhart aerospace, all the page number references (for the questions I get wrong) are from the 1st edition, and many of them reference incorrect pages (in the 2nd edition) due to the different editions. (My squadron isn't switching over to online milestone testing until next month.)
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

MSG Mac

Go to CAP Members.com under Cadet Programs, then Library.

https://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Cadetter

That's 2nd and 3rd, I know where to find them. I'm asking where to find the first edition. The 1st edition study guide is there, but not the 1st edition modules.

Never mind, I found them! At least the publication date is before 2006... http://www.mn122.org/textbooks/
Earhart Award, 2018

ßτε

Your unit shouldn't even have the 1st edition tests. They should have been destroyed and replaced with 2nd edition years ago. Of course this will be moot as of 1 Jan when all milestone exams must be accessed from eServices.

Cadetter

They have the 2006 Earhart AE per https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Testing_Officers_Quick_Reference_Ma_92AA8FA6EAA3F.pdf, which use page numbers from the 1st edition. It's probably not correct, but it's irrelevant now as I'm the last cadet testing with written milestone exams.
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Pace

Probably because his squadron didn't give him the option. Not his fault.
Lt Col, CAP

Cadetter

Yes, I asked about testing online and my testing officer said that our squadron is only switching to that in January.
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Quote from: Pace on December 08, 2017, 04:56:09 PM
Probably because his squadron didn't give him the option. Not his fault.

Not saying it is, but it's also not the call of the squadron.

I'm also trying to figure out the timing / age on a cadet still being given an 11-year old hard copy test against
a book that isn't available anymore.

Something's seems awry, and the timing doesn't appear to work.

Learn To Lead was implemented in 2010, that's ~7 years ago, and you can only be a cadet for ~9.

Cadetter did you join CAP before 2010?

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

In regards to online testing, Cadetter, is that only for milestones, or all achievements?

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

Only milestones are hard copy in my squadron (except in special needs circumstances for achievement tests, which are printed from eServices as needed). The reg requiring milestones to be printed from eServices isn't mandatory until 1 Jan, so hard copy milestones are still permissible.

Why does the testing officer's reference - dated 2016 - that I referenced before still reference the 2006 aerospace test (which I was given)? The material hasn't changed regardless; it was only page number references that were wrong. The 2nd edition of aerospace came out in 2010 as well.

The Learn to Lead test was fine, 2012, which sounds fine.
Earhart Award, 2018

TheSkyHornet

You should not be given a test on subject matter that is not available to you. CAP publishes the current, accessible material on their website just for that reason: because it's current and valid.

Did you bring this up to your Testing Officer or CDC before or after taking the test? It's really not the cadet's responsibility to know this; it's the Testing Officer's.

But if you're being tested on something you don't have access to read, and have to "transfer" from a different edition that is made accessible by CAP, that's not fair and should be addressed.

Cadetter

I didn't notice the date on the test until after failing it once. My TO and CDC both checked that against the testing officers guide before the 2nd time, but if you look at it, the test referenced in the guide is the 2006 test. I think the test is right and only the page number references were wrong due to shuffled subject matter. All of the subject matter is in the 2nd edition (I haven't read the 3rd, but presumably it's about the same); only the page number references were off for about 20 questions (and since I was missing 15 questions, most of which were within the 20, I had to revert editions to get the correct page numbers). Within my squadron, it doesn't matter now anyway; I know our WB and Mitchell tests are correct (having taken them), and regardless, I'm the last cadet in my squadron using hard copy tests. Jan 1 we will start with online tests, so these issues won't be relevant.

What year is the appropriate hard copy Earhart aerospace, if the one referenced in the 2016 testing officer's guide is incorrect? Our last Earhart cadet (~2 years ago) had the same issue, but when the testing officer contacted someone (no idea who), he was informed that the copy we have is correct.
Earhart Award, 2018

TheSkyHornet

Well, it sounds like a case of "it is what it is."

This is exactly why the tests ended up being printed from eServices. Less because cadets cheated, and more because of the challenge of test control and administration.

You already took the retake, right? C/Lt Col?

Cadetter

Last time I checked, Earhart was C/Capt :)

Yes, passed the retake. Since the questions are exactly the same the 2nd time for aerospace and the page number references (once I had them) basically tell me what the questions were (I have a good memory too), it'd be strange to fail.
Earhart Award, 2018

TheSkyHornet

Hence me asking. I thought you were a C/Lt Col.

I was trying to establish how long ago this occurred.

Cadetter

Oh, no, I'm C/1stLt. Both attempts occurred in the last week and a half. My goal is Eaker around the end of next year or early the following.
Earhart Award, 2018

TheSkyHornet

Gotcha gotcha.

Well, good luck on it. Hopefully the online testing fixes these issues (although, I'm finding cadets are better at taking written tests than online tests more than half the time).

It's all stuff to keep in mind as you progress. Don't be afraid to address this stuff with your higher ups. Learn from what you went through.