Main Menu

Promotion question

Started by jmitchnh, September 06, 2017, 04:00:59 PM

jmitchnh

I was promoted to 1st LT in November of 2015. At that time, the current 35-5 (Dated 2014) showed the time in grade requirement for Captain was 18 months. The new 35-5 (Dated 2016) shows it as 30 months. My question is, do I use the regs that were in place at the time of my promotion or do I need to follow the most recent? I would assume I would be "grandfathered" in under the regs that were in place at the time of my last promotion. TY

Matthew Congrove

CAPR 35-5, (p) 2.1:

NOTE: Members applying for duty performance promotions during the period 11 August 2014 to 11 August 2018 may use the previous duty performance promotion requirements for their next promotion. The member's present date of grade must be prior to 11 August 2014 in order to be eligible for this grandfather clause. This clause may only be used once for the member's next promotion

Since you were promoted after 11 August 2014, you are not eligible for the grandfather clause. You must have 30 months TIG as 1st Lt to promoted to Captain. Sorry :(
Lt. Col. Matthew Congrove, CAP

Eclipse

Most recent - the "one click" under the "old" program is for members who were eligible for their next promotion
prior to August 2014. 

Your promotion in Nov 2015 would have been under the "old" program, and now you need to catch-up any
missing items to the new requirements before being considered for Capt.

That would be:

30 months TIG (May 2018)
Level III
     CLC
     Senior Rating
     Yeager
     Command or staff assignment (think it's 1-year)
     Attend two National, Region, or Wing conferences

And of course under the old program you didn't need Level II for 1st Lt, just 18 months in and a Tech rating, so
if you haven't already done so, you need LII as well which requires SLS and OBC.

"That Others May Zoom"