Wear of Uniforms Optional?

Started by davedove, June 19, 2007, 12:37:27 PM

davedove

I'm sure we're all aware that CAPM 39-1 seems to say that a uniform must be worn at all CAP activities.  Yet, this paragraph from the Great Start publication has this:

Do members have to wear a uniform?

Cadets must wear the Air Force-style blue uniform
with special CAP patches. The cadet membership
application contains a voucher for one free uniform per
cadet. As long as they are available, the USAF provides
a uniform for the cadets at no charge. Call (334) 953-
1501 for more information.

Senior members may wear the USAF style blue
uniform or one of the distinctive CAP uniforms.  Some
members choose to serve without wearing a uniform
although one of the CAP uniforms are required in
certain instances such as flying in a CAP aircraft.

This seems to say that senior members do not HAVE to wear a uniform except in certain circumstances.  I seem to recall reading this somewhere else as well.

Now, I enjoy wearing a uniform, and I feel it seems more professional, but this seems to say that it's not required.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Dragoon

As pointed out in a different thread, table 1-1 in 39-1 mandate uniform wear for almost everything we do. 

It didn't used to be this way - uniforms were required only for flying and working with cadets.

RogueLeader

When one says "May chose not too" and another says "Must"  The MUST passes, There are some like the Patron Membership works with cadets- driving, chaperoning, etc. but they do not get uniforms.  Actives are required to be in uniform.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Dragoon

It's likely that this disconnect is because even folks at National haven't all realized that 39-1 changed.

Hawk200

Quote from: RogueLeader on June 19, 2007, 03:36:50 PM
When one says "May chose not too" and another says "Must"  The MUST passes, There are some like the Patron Membership works with cadets- driving, chaperoning, etc. but they do not get uniforms.  Actives are required to be in uniform.

I believe you're thinking of the Cadet Sponsor Member program. A parent or guardian does those things, but I do know they get a nametag with name and "Cadet Sponsor Member" on it. Patron members, for the most part, do not participate except upon invitation of the commander.

IceNine

Personally with the abundant supply of uniform combinations there is no reason to choose the "optional" wear rule.

So you think you're going to be late leaving work and can't get home before the meeting.  Wear grey pants and black shoes to work and throw a polo in the car.  I haven't counted recently but there must be over 20 different options ranging from aviator shirts to mess dress. 

So, I guess in short if someone is going to come to me with excuses as to why they don't have a uniform I need to come up with excuses as to why they don't have a uniform on, I need to come up with excuses as to why I can't let them stay.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RogueLeader

Now See. . .
It's called preparedness.  I work until 5:30, my meeting is at 6:30.  Oh, I've been working an extra 45 min all this/last week.  I don't have time, wait, let me put a uniform in a garment bag, then I can change when I get there. . .

A little forethought goes a long way.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

What they said.

We're supposed to be a cut above the average citizen. 

Take 5 minutes to get a uniform together and show up looking good.  Changing in your office, or the bathroom at work might actually get you a little attention and act as subliminal (or overt) recruiting.

I'm sure when all the "busy" people get home from work tonight, this thread will fill up with the myriad
excuses why "my personal life is so much more dramatic than yours...and I couldn't possibly find the time to get in a uniform...and you just don't understand...and you're lucky I show up at all.

I'll save you some time:

Its not.
You can.
I do.
We're not.

;D  And I literally just laughed out loud, which made the people on this train a bit nervous...

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Yeah, I want people to have 18 hr credit load of 300-400 level college classes, 35+ hrs at work, CAP and maintaining a 3.8 GPA for the Semester.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Murph

I have to agree with Bob (mostly because he's my boss) - however - it takes 5 minutes, tops, to slap on the polo and gray slacks.

Blues - maybe 10 minutes if you prep them before bed.

BDU's - also about 10 minutes with boots etc.

RogueLeader

Quote from: RogueLeader
Yeah, I want people to have 18 hr credit load of 300-400 level college classes, 35+ hrs at work, CAP and maintaining a 3.8 GPA for the Semester.

It is not as easy as it might seem,  also have to toss in extreme emotional distress.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

mikeylikey

^??  Did I miss your point?  Responding to your comment about school and stuff......Congrats on finding the time for CAP I guess!
What's up monkeys?

Pumbaa

I have a bag with my flightsuit in my truck, with boots, socks, etc.. ready for a call at any time.

Usually on work days I wear my grey pants, and then just keep the polo on a hanger in my truck...

There is no excuse to not having at least a basic uniform ready.

Right now I have grey pants and aviator on a hanger in my truck.. Well those are still left over from NER SARCOMP and the shirt is really rank, so never mind on that one ;)

mdickinson

Quote from: davedove on June 19, 2007, 12:37:27 PM
CAPM 39-1 seems to say that a uniform must be worn at all CAP activities.  Yet the "Great Start" publication has this: [...]

Quote from: "Great Start" publication
Some members choose to serve without wearing a uniform,
     although one of the CAP uniforms are required in certain instances such as flying in a CAP aircraft.

This seems to say that senior members do not HAVE to wear a uniform except in certain circumstances.  I seem to recall reading this somewhere else as well.

In answer to the original question, I believe CAP requires uniform wear in two cases:

1. when working with cadets
2. when flying in CAP aircraft.

If I remember correctly, uniform wear is optional in all other circumstances. (Depending on what parts of CAP you participate in, those two cases could translate to "98% of the time" or "just about never.")

Technically this means that seniors attending a composite squadron meeting must come in uniform, since cadets are present, but those attending meetings of a senior squadron can come-as-they-are.

I agree with those posters who have pointed out that it takes very little effort for someone to wear the golf-shirt uniform or the aviator-shirt uniform. Both are extremely useful/convenient. When I was commuting into NYC for work, I kept my aviator shirt and gray slacks in a garment bag in the squadron office. That way I could walk from work to the armory, grab my garment bag, change my shirt & pants, and attend the rest of the meeting "in uniform." A side bonus of this method was that the shirt & pants take forever to get dirty when you only wear them for 90 minutes a week!

When a new senior is considering joining the organization, I suggest downplaying the uniform. I simply say "you'll need to wear a uniform at squadron meetings, at SAREXs, and when you're flying, but it's very simple, just a golf shirt or a white aviator shirt with a few items on it. Do you have a pair of gray slacks, a black leather belt, and a pair of black shoes? Great, then you already own most of it. Order a golf shirt, an aviator shirt, a nametag, and a pair of epaulette slides from www.thehock.com, and in a few days you'll be all set."

My experience is that this low-key approach ("just get a golf shirt for flying, and an aviator shirt for meetings/conferences") pays off by making the new member comfortable, reducing their (natural) concern about how much $ they're going to have to lay out, and the risk of wearing the uniform wrong. It makes it easier to join and fit in. But I have noticed that those who attend meetings regularly or fly regularly often naturally ask on their own after a few months "how do I get a flight suit" or "where can I obtain a BDU?" :-)

1LtNurseOfficer

If I may, let me throw a small wrench in here.....  I'd love to wear the uniform, but I don't have the extra money to buy one.  Does this mean I can't work with cadets?  Or be the squadron medical officer?   

Dragoon

Quote from: mdickinson on June 20, 2007, 12:37:32 PM
In answer to the original question, I believe CAP requires uniform wear in two cases:

1. when working with cadets
2. when flying in CAP aircraft.

If I remember correctly, uniform wear is optional in all other circumstances. (Depending on what parts of CAP you participate in, those two cases could translate to "98% of the time" or "just about never.")

Technically this means that seniors attending a composite squadron meeting must come in uniform, since cadets are present, but those attending meetings of a senior squadron can come-as-they-are.

Things have changed.  The latest 39-1, in table 1-1, states CAP members will wear uniforms "when engaged in normal duties as a CAP member or attending local, wing/region, or national CAP functions."

ddelaney103

Quote from: 1LtNurseOfficer on June 20, 2007, 01:15:48 PM
If I may, let me throw a small wrench in here.....  I'd love to wear the uniform, but I don't have the extra money to buy one.  Does this mean I can't work with cadets?  Or be the squadron medical officer?   

Pretty much.

Frankly, if you can't spring the $60 for the golf shirt uniform, you may not have the resources to be in CAP.

Eclipse

If I may, let me throw a small wrench in here.....  I'd love to wear the uniform, but I don't have the extra money to buy one.  Does this mean I can't work with cadets? 

You can't work with cadets if you can't find some way to put together a uniform.

>> HARSH ALERT <<

Between Squadron uniform stashes, eBay, benevolent members, and the fact that a gold shirt costs about $17, if you are able to find some way to put together some kind of uniform, you probably do not have the resources to be an asset to the organization, and should focus your time and efforts elsewhere.

>> END HARSH ALERT <<

Or be the squadron medical officer?   
Since you are a Nurse, you cannot be a Squadron Medical Officer, anyway.  You >could< be a Health Service Officer, however you could have no contact with cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

If you already own a pair of grey or gray slacks, black belt, and black shoes, you can have a CAP uniform for under $20.

The silk-screened golf shirt is the cheapest way to get into uniform on your own. 
CAP Golf Shirt Linky

Of course, if your squadron has a fairly decent supply room, you could get into BDUs cheaper if all the major items were issued (blouse, trousers, cap, boots) you can get all the rest of the stuff for under $15
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

capchiro

Actually, she wouldn't be a health service officer, she would be a nurse officer.  And as interesting as it has always been, the only mandatory uniform for cadets is the minimum basic uniform, blue shirt, blue pants, etc., and all other uniforms are optional, unless provided by the squadron or if the wear is voluntary.  In other words, unless the squadron provides the cadet with BDU's, they can not be required to wear them.  I have always found this to be intersting and of great debate value as some squadrons apparently have access to great stores of BDU's and others don't. Oh, and by the way, Roxan, if you will move from Kansas to Georgia and be in my squadron, I will buy you a uniform..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154