Wear of name tags on hats and pants on the ABU...

Started by bd5av8r, August 15, 2017, 08:08:36 PM

bd5av8r

I could use some help... (grin)

On the ABU, The reg states 1 name tag on the blouse of the ABU over the right pocket. Got that, but why are members now sewing name tapes to the outside of their hats, (as the Army members do) and as of last night I seen 1 member who sewn a name tape on his pants over the "right butt cheek" pocket.

I have checked and checked in CAPR39-1, for these items and no joy finding them. Why the "unwritten" change? :D

Its just not looking uniform with some like this and others, not. :)

Greetings from SC!

Abby.L

Why? Possibly because of local practice, proximity to army post, whatever. Either way, not authorized at all. You are right that this is not uniform at all, and the offending members/squadrons/wings should be corrected appropriately.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

ProdigalJim

^^^^^^

Like what Levi said. And proximity to an Army post may well be why you're seeing it. But 39-1 is the guide, not what other people around you "look like." Good on you for checking and not just blindly following the herd!  :)
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Capt Thompson

Because it looks tacti-cool, and who doesn't want to look tacti-cool! I've seen it too, and all you can do is point them to 39-1, or someone higher in their chain of command who will correct it.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

EMT-83

NIN

Did we not just have this same discussion? 

We did just have this same discussion: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=22329.0
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

stillamarine

Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

ProdigalJim

But one sighting was in Wisconsin and the other now in South Carolina.

It's spreading...  :o
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

PHall

Our Squadron on Camp Pendleton doesn't even do this. ::)

NIN

I did this crap with jungle fatigues,  but that was it. (My jungle fatigue pants are cargo shorts now,  still have the name tag over the back pocket)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Luis R. Ramos

I also have thought about doing it... and doing it... and doing it... and thinking... and thinking... about doing it... [YAWN!] over the last ten years...

I saw cat's eyes (or is it tiger's eyes, anyway in CAP it has to be cat's eyes as we are not armed) on a BDU cap a few years ago, on Westchester and Orange counties in NY. Did not say anything, they were majors and I was a lowly 2nd Lt.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Spam

The cats eyes used to be a thing, here in GA Wing, for several units which were GT-heavy, and who routinely trained at night. Probably it originated with an actual Ranger, DeKalb Cadet Sqdn. CO, Lt Col Ron Bradford, back in the 1970s and with exposure to the Rangers with whom many of us trained in their local areas. It made sense for those of us who worked without lights doing night patrols and was an approved GA Wing item.

We still train in those areas - my youngest told me of last month's FTX on Hawk Mtn GA where the cadets woke up at 0400 to find a dozen men painted in green with weapons quietly low-crawling past their camp - but the cats eyes thing has died out, especially with the advent of the (approved/mandated!) reflective vests which fill the requirement better.

V/r
Spam

Luis R. Ramos

Those low-crawlers, were they CAP senior members? Militia? National Guard? Reserve?

Are people in here still using Charge of Quarters during encampments or field exercises still?

I remember about ten years ago, in my field training exercises we used COQ. Although relieved at two hours, some of the cadets did fall asleep. Also in my first Encampment, 1989, we did use COQ. I do not remember so during my second, 2013. However, cadet EMS did sleep in the medical office...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Are they? Probably.

Is it allowed? Not for several years.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 16, 2017, 11:49:01 AM
Those low-crawlers, were they CAP senior members? Militia? National Guard? Reserve?

Based on the location, chances are those low-crawlers were Ranger School students.

QuoteAre people in here still using Charge of Quarters during encampments or field exercises still?

Not during encampments, generally, but firewatch during a field exercise is still a thing (sometimes, depends on the circumstances)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

stillamarine

Quote from: NIN on August 16, 2017, 01:12:54 PM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 16, 2017, 11:49:01 AM

Based on the location, chances are those low-crawlers were Ranger School students.

I'd bet money on it. They do quite a bit of training in that area. Many Appalachian Trail hikers have stories of running into them. 
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

County

Quote from: ProdigalJim on August 16, 2017, 12:44:35 AM
But one sighting was in Wisconsin and the other now in South Carolina.

It's spreading...  :o

Was the one in SC a senior member or a cadet? I'll address this issue.
TSgt