Can CAP radios be configured with frequencies, rather than channels?

Started by jfkspotting, August 03, 2017, 08:59:15 PM

jfkspotting

Hello.

Instead of "CC1", a channel, is it possible to type in a frequency such as 126.225?

Holding Pattern

CAPR 100-1

Quote1.9.1. Release of Air Force Frequencies. Any CAP member who has completed OPSEC
training, with a reasonable need to know, may be provided actual VHF-FM and HF operating
frequencies, as provided in this paragraph; however, most CAP members may not need to know
the actual frequencies. In most cases, frequency designators or radio channel numbers are
sufficient and make the communications system more user friendly.
CAP members shall not
release or comment on CAP radio frequencies to any person, business or organization where there
is not a legitimate need to know. Plans, instructions and other documents containing frequencies
shall not be left unattended in non-secure locations, released to the general public, or made
available to unauthorized viewing via the World Wide Web or by any other means. CAP-USAF
approval is required for release of frequencies to outside agencies. Within CAP, frequencies may
only be released to members who have a legitimate need to know, have taken the on-line OPSEC
training, and have agreed to protect CAP frequency information. Where agencies, businesses or
individuals outside of CAP have a legitimate need to know, permission may be requested IAW
para.6.12. In contingency situations, other national level offices such as the National Operations
Center (NOC) may coordinate directly with CAP-USAF.

SarDragon

Quote from: jfkspotting on August 03, 2017, 08:59:15 PM
Hello.

Instead of "CC1", a channel, is it possible to type in a frequency such as 126.225?

Every channel has a frequency, or, in the case of repeaters, a pair of frequencies, associated with it. Under the constraints of federal regulations, the radios we use, in their assigned band, are not normally set up for direct frequency selection by the user/operator.

The specific range we use is 136-174 MHz, minus the 144-148 MHz ham band. Portions of this band are assigned to the federal government, and other parts are set aside for commercial users.

Please accept our answers/information as truth, and move on to a more productive conversation. This one is pretty well used up.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CAP9907

This worked so well in the last thread, I'll just leave it here since it looks like he didn't take the offered advice:

Quote from: CAP604 on August 02, 2017, 10:41:35 PM
Quote from: jfkspotting on August 02, 2017, 08:01:33 PM
We are doing a local community event, and I'm considering buying a VHF-radio. Does the radio have to be anything special, or can it be the standard Uniden or Baofeng?

*I will not be using this for anything SAR*

Just don't... you have a Unit/Group/Wing Comms Officer for a reason, start there please.
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Brad

As others have said, no you can't just use a random ham radio, and no you won't be told the CAP frequencies without a reason. If you do have a need to access the frequencies you will be told where and how to access them, and that is speaking from personal experience.

I suggest that if you are curious about using member-owned equipment -- which for the record is permitted, I use my personal radio for CAP purposes -- please make sure before you do anything else that it is an NTIA-compliant radio by checking the following lists:

VHF Radios: https://comm.capnhq.gov/equipment/vhf_summary.cfm
VHF P25 Digital Radios: https://comm.capnhq.gov/equipment/digital_summary.cfm
HF Radios: https://comm.capnhq.gov/equipment/hf_summary.cfm

Please also review CAPR 100-1 and CAPR 100-3, and talk to your Squadron Communications Officer or Wing Director of Communications in regards to communications OPSEC concerns. I'm not sure how much you recall from your OPSEC test when you joined CAP, but communications utilizes OPSEC as one of its key components.

There is a new course on the Learning Management System on eServices that re-teaches OPSEC but geared specifically towards communications. I have taken it and I highly recommend it. It is the third item in the Communications section of LMS, titled "M10 Communications Operational Security (OPSEC)" and it will further explain why CAP's communications systems are the way they are in terms of security and restrictions placed on them.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Mustang

Quote from: jfkspotting on August 03, 2017, 08:59:15 PMInstead of "CC1", a channel, is it possible to type in a frequency such as 126.225?

Depends on the radio. Possible for some, but not all. 

Quote from: Brad on August 06, 2017, 04:58:45 AM
As others have said, no you can't just use a random ham radio, and no you won't be told the CAP frequencies without a reason. If you do have a need to access the frequencies you will be told where and how to access them, and that is speaking from personal experience.

I suggest that if you are curious about using member-owned equipment -- which for the record is permitted, I use my personal radio for CAP purposes -- please make sure before you do anything else that it is an NTIA-compliant radio....

You've contradicted yourself a number of times here. Yes, any member CAN use random amateur radio equipment for CAP purposes, PROVIDED the radio is NTIA-compliant. And if a member is going to use personally-owned radios to support CAP purposes, then he/she has cleared the "need to know" hurdle and the frequency list many not be reasonably withheld from said member.

So many of our comm bozos think FOUO means "highly classified" and use it to play the "I've got a secret" game. Stop it already. All it means is that it can't be released to outside parties.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

EMT-83

Quote from: Mustang on August 08, 2017, 12:51:34 AM
[Yes, any member CAN use random amateur radio equipment for CAP purposes, PROVIDED the radio is NTIA-compliant. And if a member is going to use personally-owned radios to support CAP purposes, then he/she has cleared the "need to know" hurdle and the frequency list many not be reasonably withheld from said member.

So many of our comm bozos think FOUO means "highly classified" and use it to play the "I've got a secret" game. Stop it already. All it means is that it can't be released to outside parties.

Not quite.

Not just "any member" can operate a radio for CAP purposes. There are very specific training requirements to be met first.

No "random amateur radio equipment" can be used for CAP purposes. The list of approved radios is very short and certainly not random.

Members don't self-select that they have cleared the "need to know hurdle" just because they're itching to buy a radio.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: jfkspotting on August 03, 2017, 08:59:15 PM
Hello.

Possible? Depends on the radio.
Possible with CAP radios? Yes.
Likelihood of being authorized with CAP radios? Zero.
Likelihood of having a negligent OPSEC breach if somebody does it anyway? Guaranteed.