Main Menu

Uniform Buffoonery

Started by ProdigalJim, July 28, 2017, 04:23:09 PM

ProdigalJim

Just saw a Senior Member interacting with the public in ABUs, wearing a regulation-blue nametape on the back of his hat, Army-style.

Sigh...
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Abby.L

I have a cadet temporarily in my squadron from Kansas wing who has that same thing. He said it was local custom over there. I've also seen HMRS pictures showing CAP members that have the same blue nametag sewn on above their right back pocket, USMC style.

I cry inside a little every time.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

A.Member

Did you pull them aside, take out your pocket knife, and have them cut them off on the spot?!  That's what needs to happen.  :)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Okayish Aviator

I used to place a shortened name tag on my BDU pants, but I'd put it where the belt would hide it. More to make sure I kept track of my pants when doing lots of laundry....

As for the cover... I have no idea why that'd be a thing. I put the first letter of last name and last 4 of social on the brim closest to the head. Always worked fine.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

CyBorgII

Quote from: DocJekyll on July 29, 2017, 04:07:52 PM
As for the cover... I have no idea why that'd be a thing. I put the first letter of last name and last 4 of social on the brim closest to the head. Always worked fine.

That is how I was instructed to mark my kit in AF BMT.
Whaddaya mean I ain't kind?  I'm just not YOUR kind!

Ex-CAP Captain, now CG Auxiliary, but still feel a great deal of affection for the many good people in CAP.

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: CyBorgII on July 29, 2017, 07:56:16 PM

That's where I got it from.  ;) 322TRS

PHall

Quote from: DocJekyll on July 29, 2017, 09:24:30 PM
Quote from: CyBorgII on July 29, 2017, 07:56:16 PM

That's where I got it from.  ;) 322TRS

Back when I went through BMT in 1974 they made us rubber stamps with the first letter of your last name and the last 4 of your SSN to mark our laundry with.
And we got to pay for them too!

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on July 30, 2017, 12:54:32 AM
Back when I went through BMT in 1974 they made us rubber stamps with the first letter of your last name and the last 4 of your SSN to mark our laundry with.
And we got to pay for them too!

I feel jipped.  I had a sharpie and a paint marker....

PHall

We got the stamps so it would be readable. At least that's what they told us while they were taking our money. ::)

MIKE

Grandfather still has the stencil cards for marking his stuff with paint  from the Navy circa 1946.
Mike Johnston

winterg

I went to Basic at Lackland in '91 and got the stencil issued to put my laundry mark on everything with a paint pen or marker.  I still have it somewhere.

Okayish Aviator

In 2007 I used a sharpie with a playing card that had a slot cut in it so we'd keep it in the same sized area and consistent. Still, guys in my flight seemed to mess it up. *looking at trainee Kohls* >:(

SARDOC

stamps must have been great.  I had a Stencil and we used shoe polish with the stencil.  It really worked well.

CyBorgII

We had Sharpie markers for our BDU's and pens with White-Out-type stuff in them for the inside of our boots.  They never worked properly and seemed to be there just to incite the wrath of the MTI's on new Airmen (this was before they were called "trainees") who could not make them work right without making blobs all over the place.  Full disclosure: I was one of those. :o
Whaddaya mean I ain't kind?  I'm just not YOUR kind!

Ex-CAP Captain, now CG Auxiliary, but still feel a great deal of affection for the many good people in CAP.

MHC5096

This weekend I came across my Navy stencil card from 1989 complete with Company number.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

BuckeyeDEJ

At a cadet encampment, I bought the stamps, and then stamped all my stuff appropriately.

As for nametapes in unauthorized places, I'm sure the impulse is to look more military — though the impulse is misguided at best.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

kwe1009

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 01, 2017, 03:59:18 AM
At a cadet encampment, I bought the stamps, and then stamped all my stuff appropriately.

As for nametapes in unauthorized places, I'm sure the impulse is to look more military — though the impulse is misguided at best.

It would not be so bad if the "impulse to look more military" was an "impulse to look more Air Force." 

Angus

I used to place a shortened name tag on my BDU pants, but I'd put it where the belt would hide it. More to make sure I kept track of my pants when doing lots of laundry....

That's a great idea especially for larger activities like encampment if people need to make use of the laundry facilities. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

ProdigalJim

Quote from: kwe1009 on August 01, 2017, 12:47:34 PM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 01, 2017, 03:59:18 AM

It would not be so bad if the "impulse to look more military" was an "impulse to look more Air Force."

Here's how jacked-up it was: the back-of-the-hat thing was Army style, but the grade on the collar was diagonal, Navy style.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

PHall

Quote from: Angus on August 01, 2017, 12:53:14 PM

That's a great idea especially for larger activities like encampment if people need to make use of the laundry facilities.

Laundry marker pen on the inside of the waistline on the trousers has always worked for me at CAWG Encampments.
All of my cadets got their clothes back after laundry day (which just happens to be right after they do the confidence course!).