Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 07:11:26 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Uniforms & Awards  |  Topic: USAF appears to be quietly transitioning to OCP stateside...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Print
Author Topic: USAF appears to be quietly transitioning to OCP stateside...  (Read 6483 times)
CyBorgII

Unit: USCG AUX

« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2017, 10:19:22 PM »

For combat/field uniforms, different services have different missions.  If we didn't, we wouldn't need ~four five different branches of the armed forces.

FTFY. ;)

Five, actually - Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard.

Add in the other two "uniformed services" - NOAA Commissioned Corps and the uniformed branch of the USPHS (who do the medical care for the Coast Guard), and you technically have seven.
Whaddaya mean I ain't kind?  I'm just not YOUR kind!

Ex-CAP Captain, now CG Auxiliary, but still feel a great deal of affection for the many good people in CAP.
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/10/20/air-force-mulls-uniform-shift-abus-acus.html

Clearly just a matter of when at this point, despite some recent public comments about nothing changing.

"Effort" does not equal "results".
The contents of this post are Copyright 2017 by eclipse. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2017, 08:12:34 PM »

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/10/20/air-force-mulls-uniform-shift-abus-acus.html

Clearly just a matter of when at this point, despite some recent public comments about nothing changing.

Jokes on you. The Army has been shifting from the ACU to the OCP uniform for a couple years now. And Military.com is not exactly a reliable source.
LSThiker

Unit: Earth

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2017, 08:46:46 PM »

The Army has been shifting from the ACU to the OCP uniform for a couple years now.

No they have not.  They are currently using the ACU and will continue to use the ACU.  What the Army is shifting is from the UCP to the OCP. 
PHall

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2017, 10:56:41 PM »

The Army has been shifting from the ACU to the OCP uniform for a couple years now.

No they have not.  They are currently using the ACU and will continue to use the ACU.  What the Army is shifting is from the UCP to the OCP.

Funny, when I drive by the Armed Forces Reserve Center on Drill Weekends I see formations that are about 1/3 ACU and 2/3 OCP.
And my friends who are in the Army Guard tell me that all they issue is OCP these days.
LSThiker

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2017, 11:42:54 PM »

Funny, when I drive by the Armed Forces Reserve Center on Drill Weekends I see formations that are about 1/3 ACU and 2/3 OCP.
And my friends who are in the Army Guard tell me that all they issue is OCP these days.

You are missing a critical piece of information, which is not funny.  The UCP and OCP are both ACUs.  Again, the Army is switching from UCP ACU to OCP ACU.  So what you really see is 100% ACU, which is divided as 1/3 UCP and 2/3 OCP.

Now, I would suggest rereading that military.com article, which the message should be clearer.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 11:53:15 PM by LSThiker » Logged
PHall

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2017, 12:16:07 AM »

You are missing a critical piece of information, which is not funny.  The UCP and OCP are both ACUs.  Again, the Army is switching from UCP ACU to OCP ACU.  So what you really see is 100% ACU, which is divided as 1/3 UCP and 2/3 OCP.

Now, I would suggest rereading that military.com article, which the message should be clearer.

Never bothered to read the Military.com article since they are not a trusted source. About the same as the New York Post, a scandal sheet.
LSThiker

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2017, 09:47:18 AM »

Never bothered to read the Military.com article since they are not a trusted source. About the same as the New York Post, a scandal sheet.

Fair enough, and I agree military.com is not a highly trusted source. After all, the NYP does run some actual news articles.  Nevertheless, the USAF may in fact be mulling a switch from ABUs to ACUs, as suggested by the headline.  Of course, if that happens, the USAF will most likely pick up OCPs rather than UCPs, as the Army is switching to the former.  But only time will tell. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:50:34 AM by LSThiker » Logged
kwe1009

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »

Fair enough, and I agree military.com is not a highly trusted source. After all, the NYP does run some actual news articles.  Nevertheless, the USAF may in fact be mulling a switch from ABUs to ACUs, as suggested by the headline.  Of course, if that happens, the USAF will most likely pick up OCPs rather than UCPs, as the Army is switching to the former.  But only time will tell.

CENTCOM had definitely made the switch to OCP as have other USAF units that work closely with the Army.  Given that a good number of the USAF is already wearing the UCP daily or has some in their closet that was issued during a deployment, it would be logical for the rest of the USAF to move to that uniform.  I know that logic is something that rarely, if ever, is used in making uniform decisions but one can only hope. 

Back in the 1980's, the USAF went to BDUs exclusively after a large number of member were issued that uniform do to being assigned to USAFE and other overseas areas.  I never understood why the different branches were allowed to create their own utility uniforms.  That was a gigantic waste of time and money both for DoD and the individual service members to purchase more expensive uniforms due to the smaller market since the uniforms were service-specific.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Uniforms & Awards  |  Topic: USAF appears to be quietly transitioning to OCP stateside...