Georgia State Defense Force (GSDF)

Started by etodd, July 05, 2017, 07:50:57 PM

KASSRCrashResearch

QuoteIt gives out Lt Colonelcies by the blushful to even minor politicians and judges

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't CAP do something similar with legislators? I seem to recall hearing something about that but never dug into the details because I don't really care.

As for "having prior service", even as someone who served, I don't think it really matters that much.  You can have great leadership from someone who never went in and you can have crap leadership from someone who served 20+ years.  Especially if they were in fields that do not get anywhere near anything that a reasonable person would consider "military".
I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.

Treadhead

Quote from: PHall on July 11, 2017, 03:52:57 AM
Quote from: RNOfficer on July 11, 2017, 02:26:40 AM
Quote from: PhoenixRisen on July 06, 2017, 04:52:46 PM
Back in California, I was looking at joining the California State Military Reserve (linky) before I relocated.  From talking to those "in the know", I've always been told that the CSMR is certainly among the "model SDFs" out there, alongside the Texas State Guard (another linky).  Both forces actively provide force multiplier support for their respective state's Army and Air Guard's, and I've met members of both who have done some awesome stuff in support of their state, such as range / firearms training support (California) and security forces support (Texas).

I've heard anyone speak of the CSMR positively. It gives out Lt Colonelcies by the blushful to even minor politicians and judges. The CSMR director of the state military museum  had a fake doctoral degree, and, to my knowledge members are not permitted or trained with any weapons. I don't understand how a body could be a "military reserve" when they have  no weapons training AND they accept those with no prior military service without providing  their own boot camp. Indeed of the several Lt Cols I know, only one has any prior.

Yeah, you might want to do a bit of research before you trash the CSMR. It may have been as you describe 20 years ago, but that's not how it is today.
Or you can ask the Commander of the 100th Troop Command, CSMR. He's here on CAPTalk, COL Ned Lee.

I fully agree. I'm currently in the CSMR and they are one of the most professional SDF's in the nation.  I don't know about handing out silver oak leaves like they were candy -- there were a lot of disappointed Majors after the last promotion board.  You earn your rank in the CSMR.  Nothing is handed to you.
Walter F. Lott
1st Lt (CAP) ret
LTC, USAR (ret)
Lt Col, California State Military Reserve
Former member of Mather Cadet Sq. 14 and McClellan Cadet Sq. 12

JK657

I'll have to disagree with you there on CSMR "earning" their rank. I've sat on promotion boards for the CSMR and the requirements were quite literally a joke.

PA Guy

Quote from: JK657 on July 28, 2017, 04:50:09 AM
I'll have to disagree with you there on CSMR "earning" their rank. I've sat on promotion boards for the CSMR and the requirements were quite literally a joke.

During what time period did you sit on these boards and where? Were they enlisted or officer?

CyBorgII

The Indiana Guard Reserve tried to recruit me around the same time I joined CAP, mid-1993.

They had an "Air Wing" at that time, which was supposed to man the ANG bases at Fort Wayne and Terre Haute in the event of those units being called into federal service.

Personally, I do not see how that could have happened, given that the IGR/AW was miniscule.

I was very interested in the Air Wing, but they never got back to me.

The only time after that I saw an IGR/AW person was a 1st Lieutenant at the former Grissom AFB when I was in CAP...and he had at least as many uniform no-nos as CAP is often accused of having.

However, the "Army" part was really after me and offered me Warrant Officer 1 due to the fact that I had a degree in a technical field, but when I joined CAP they said I could not hold dual membership.

At the risk of being accused of being "bitter"  ::) ::) ::), had I known now what I knew then it probably would have been better for me to have gone with the IGR, but the fact is that my first CAP unit, where I put in six years' service, was indeed a good-to-go unit where I made a lot of good friends and had a lot of accomplishments.

Interestingly, years later I remember talking to an ANG SMSgt about the loss of the IGR/AW.  He said, "well, I thought the Civil Air Patrol would backfill us anyway."

Direct quote.
Whaddaya mean I ain't kind?  I'm just not YOUR kind!

Ex-CAP Captain, now CG Auxiliary, but still feel a great deal of affection for the many good people in CAP.

jjmalott

I was an officer in the IGR for six years and held dual memberships. Many times I had drill weekend the same time as Wing staff meetings. I'd be at wing HQ in the early am and then head on over to Stout for the IGR. Both units served the people of Indiana and both did it very well. I finally had to decide on which to stay in.

Jeff Malott, Lt Col, CAP
National eLearning Coordinator

zippy

The Georgia DF like other State Guards use Federal Facilities such as Ft Gordon and Ft Stewart.
The Texas State Guard Air component is stationed at Lackland AFB. The 449th Air Support Group is at Lackland and is being used as a showpiece unit.

The Air State Guard at Lackland often train in AF aircraft. Most serve in communications, weather, electronics, etc. They try to match civilian skills with military jobs.

QuoteThe Texas State Guard Air component consists of the following Wings:
4th Air Wing
5th Air Wing

JK657

Quote from: PA Guy on July 28, 2017, 05:17:25 AM
Quote from: JK657 on July 28, 2017, 04:50:09 AM

During what time period did you sit on these boards and where? Were they enlisted or officer?

About three years ago on the Officer board

CyBorgII

Quote from: jjmalott on July 30, 2017, 12:17:36 AM
I was an officer in the IGR for six years and held dual memberships. Many times I had drill weekend the same time as Wing staff meetings. I'd be at wing HQ in the early am and then head on over to Stout for the IGR. Both units served the people of Indiana and both did it very well. I finally had to decide on which to stay in.

Obviously membership standards in the IGR changed.  They told me I could not hold dual membership, but this was almost 25 years ago.

You must have shelled out a small fortune for uniforms.

I have heard that the IGR is one of the more good-to-go SDF's.  Again, makes me wish I would have taken them up on their offer, especially since promotions within the WO tier tend to be a lot more focussed on skill sets, from what I know.  I had a Michigan ArNG Lt Col tell me he wished he were a Warrant.

Ex-CAP Captain, now CG Auxiliary, but still feel a great deal of affection for the many good people in CAP.

CyBorgII

Quote from: zippy on July 30, 2017, 03:37:33 PM
The Georgia DF like other State Guards use Federal Facilities such as Ft Gordon and Ft Stewart.
The Texas State Guard Air component is stationed at Lackland AFB. The 449th Air Support Group is at Lackland and is being used as a showpiece unit.

The Air State Guard at Lackland often train in AF aircraft. Most serve in communications, weather, electronics, etc. They try to match civilian skills with military jobs.

QuoteThe Texas State Guard Air component consists of the following Wings:
4th Air Wing
5th Air Wing

Texas is one of the only SDF's to have an Air component.  New York and Indiana used to.  I think California does.

Being based at Lackland, I wonder if they have MTI's available to gently indoctrinate  >:D new State Airmen.