Main Menu

Recruiting former members

Started by darkmatter, June 25, 2017, 11:42:14 AM

darkmatter

So I know a former member who's been out for 7ish years, and I'm right on the cusp of getting them to rejoin.. the big question is, does this type of recruiting count towards one of seven for a recuitement ribbon for me?

Pace

Yes. Just make sure your CAP ID is on their application.
Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Pace on June 25, 2017, 02:00:53 PM
Yes. Just make sure your CAP ID is on their application.

CAPR 39-3 Disagrees.
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R039_003_83459660D4F44.pdf
k. Recruiter Ribbons. Awarded by the unit commander to cadets and senior members in
recognition of outstanding efforts to recruit new members for CAP.

(1) Cadet Ribbon. Awarded to cadets who recruit two new qualified cadets or senior
members for CAP. A bronze clasp is awarded for each additional two members recruited. A silver
clasp replaces five bronze clasps. Bronze clasps are not worn after the silver clasp is awarded. An
additional silver clasp will be awarded for each additional 10 members recruited.

(2) Senior Ribbon. Awarded to senior members who recruit seven new qualified cadets or
senior members for CAP. A bronze clasp is awarded for each additional 10 members recruited. A silver
clasp replaces five bronze clasps. Bronze clasps are not worn after the silver clasp is awarded. An
additional silver clasp is awarded for each additional 50 members recruited. Members recruited as a cadet
may be included in determining entitlement in the case of senior members who were former cadets.

For those who would say "but...but"  what's the delta of returning? 6 months?  A year?  2 years?  5?
I think you could argue more then 5 since at that point their records are purged, but in order for this
to count, there has to be some consistent number, and if the intention was to "recruit" former members for credit,
it would be accounted for in the reg.

I'd say at a minimum if they get a new CAPID, "yes", if they get their old one and credit from some past
achievements, grade, badges, etc. "no".

"That Others May Zoom"

Pace

It also doesn't remove the original recruiter when yours is posted. You both have credit for two separate recruitments. It does seem to split hairs with 39-3, but I've seen it work this way in practice. YMMV.
Lt Col, CAP

etodd

Quotek. Recruiter Ribbons. Awarded by the unit commander .....

I would imagine 'many' unit commanders would be happy to see Squadron membership increase, and so may give a ribbon at their discretion.

Regs aside ..... I would think that often it could be more challenging to get someone back in than to recruit new blood. Give the guy a ribbon for his effort. JMHWO  (just my humble worthless opinion)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

darkmatter

Knowing my Cmdr I'll get the credit for reciuting a former member took me three years to rejoin lol

NIN

At this point in time, this member is more like a "new but former member," however, the reg does say "new members."

I'm not entirely sure its helpful to split hairs like that. Its not like we have a glut of people who were out for > 180 days and signed back up just so someone could get credit for them, or something like that.

If you're shepherding the "rejoining process" and the person was a member long enough ago that they have to go thru the entire membership process again like they were a new member, then more or less, they are a new member.  If they put down former CAP service on their CAPF 12, do you suddenly lose interest because you're not going to get a ribbon or a clasp? No.  Thats silly.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.