Probably the best CAP day I've had

Started by Майор Хаткевич, June 14, 2017, 04:00:28 PM

Майор Хаткевич

This morning, as I rolled into work, I saw an interesting email. As soon as I opened it, I felt like things couldn't get any better. Back in December, as a new Squadron Commander I struggled through a Cadet OTY Award submission with much prodding from the Group Chief of Staff. The cadet went on to be selected at Group, Wing, and eventually Region. Not bad for a first ever write up, that I wasn't sure about (in terms of quality, the material and subject certainly met the criteria). Then today I finally got the news - the cadet was selected for the National C/OTY Award.

I managed to congratulate him after the Wing Commander via phonecall, and he thanked me and the other staff for "doing the work" on the nomination. I told him he did all the work, we just did our job in recognizing it.

But it's bittersweet. In less than two weeks, this cadet, along with another squadron mate will be going off to the Air Force Academy. He probably won't get the chance to be recognized at the national level in September, as he'll be busy with AFA coursework. A great loss to CAP, but also a great gain for the USAF, and our nation.

THIS IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT!

THRAWN

Bravo zulu! Attitude reflects leadership. Great compliment to your unit!
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Angus

Congrats to your cadet!  And good luck to him at the Academy.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Eclipse

Congrats all the way around, he's an awesome cadet and a fine young man a privilege to work with
and an asset whereever life takes him

Wish we could clone him before he leaves...

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on June 14, 2017, 05:00:05 PM
Congrats all the way around, he's an awesome cadet and a fine young man a privilege to work with

I don't know if it's a good or bad thing that by the time the diamonds (heh) in the rough appear, they are almost ready to launch onto bigger and better things.

Angus

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on June 14, 2017, 05:24:49 PM

I don't know if it's a good or bad thing that by the time the diamonds (heh) in the rough appear, they are almost ready to launch onto bigger and better things.

My unit has been able to benefit from our trip diamond.  Got some good time out of it as a cadet now he's turned to the dark side and is still an amazing person to work with and help mentor the cadets. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Angus on June 14, 2017, 08:06:33 PM
Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on June 14, 2017, 05:24:49 PM

My unit has been able to benefit from our trip diamond.  Got some good time out of it as a cadet now he's turned to the dark side and is still an amazing person to work with and help mentor the cadets.

As a former cadet, I really appreciate those that came back into the fold. My CDC is a former cadet of my vintage, and really saved my rear upon my "elevation" from that position. I've got one more from what I'd call 2 generations later that has reupped, but is focusing on flight training currently, and isn't quite engaged yet.