Main Menu

Wing patches

Started by Castle Bravo, June 09, 2017, 05:09:57 AM

Castle Bravo

Are some wing patches being changed such as the Alabama wing patch?

Brad

Have you tried asking your Wing staff through your chain of command? They would be the most knowledgeable of that.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

PHall

A couple of wings have changed their wing patch in the past 10 years or so.

Castle Bravo

FallenTX

All wings are eventually going to try and move towards the shield design in order so that we are more in line with AF heraldry. Squadrons should all be disc patches and higher headquarters be shield design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSG Mac

Maryland Wing has made the Patch optional.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Quote from: FallenTX on June 11, 2017, 06:45:47 AM
All wings are eventually going to try and move towards the shield design in order so that we are more in line with AF heraldry. Squadrons should all be disc patches and higher headquarters be shield design.

Can you really be sure about that? As a nationally optional item, I doubt NHQ is going to make a big effort at changing them. Wing patches are a link to the history of the wing, and a lot of wings are going to be reluctant to arbitrarily change them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Castle Bravo

Quote from: SarDragon on June 11, 2017, 08:15:02 PM

Can you really be sure about that? As a nationally optional item, I doubt NHQ is going to make a big effort at changing them. Wing patches are a link to the history of the wing, and a lot of wings are going to be reluctant to arbitrarily change them.
At the very least the Alabama wing is switching to the shield design, others seem to be following suit.

Mustang

There has been an informal push by national leaders recently to bring wing patches into compliance with USAF heraldry standards.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

MSG Mac

The problem is that the deal with Vanguard is that if you change the Wing Patch the Wing is responsible for buying the remaining stock of the old patch. Not many have money to basically throw away on antiquated insignia.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Shaffner

SCWG is looking to change patches.  I phoned Vanguard to get some intel.  Wing patches are on an automatic reorder system.  So, if your wing is planning to change, it is recommended that someone of authority call and take the auto reorder off for that wing.  And yes, when a change goes through the Wing is required to purchase any remaining stock, but it is at a discount.  I was also told to contact Vanguard as soon as a decision to change is made.  The manufacturing of a new style patch takes a little time.  And, there are actually several wings in the process of making the changes. 

One of my staff had the idea of using the excess stock that we would need to purchase as prizes or awards. 

So, my question is whether or not a formal process for approval of Wing patches has ever been put in place.  Yes?  No?

Lt Col Nikki Shaffner, CAP
SCWG Chief of Staff
Gil Robb Wilson Award #3451 (2017)
Billy Mitchell Award (1990)

A.Member

Concur with SarDragon's thoughts...and to carry it further, with the move to ABU, I would like to see it removed altogether as opposed to being optional.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Mustang

Wings changing their patch will only be charged Vanguard's cost for remaining inventory.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

FallenTX

Quote from: SarDragon on June 11, 2017, 08:15:02 PM

And here we are:
http://history.cap.gov/files/original/69f796595f5ebe2c67634092021ad42e.pdf

SARDOC

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 11, 2017, 07:01:30 AM
Maryland Wing has made the Patch optional.

Actually the Uniform regulations made the wing patch optional.  Some Wing Commanders have stepped up and made it mandatory for their wings.

Mustang

The requirement to conform to AF heraldry standards applies to all new designs and is in the current 39-1.  The national volunteer leadership has been pushing wings to get compliant redesigns  done.

TarRiverRat

Cool! My squadron's patch made the Civil Air Patrol Heraldry Guide.  :clap:
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

Mustang