Main Menu

Mentoring

Started by deepblue1947, May 29, 2017, 04:20:34 PM

deepblue1947

I was just curious how many Senior squadrons utilize the mentor program and what kind of results you have experienced with it. 

MG

etodd

Quote from: deepblue1947 on May 29, 2017, 04:20:34 PM
I was just curious how many Senior squadrons utilize the mentor program and what kind of results you have experienced with it. 

Link? I haven't heard of it. How is a mentor different than a PDO?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: etodd on May 29, 2017, 04:22:48 PM

A mentor usually works one on one with you.

deepblue1947

Quote from: etodd on May 29, 2017, 04:22:48 PM

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAPP_4040_PD_Specialty_Track__16_Ma_8397C7DEC4C48.pdf

etodd

Quote from: deepblue1947 on May 29, 2017, 05:02:16 PM
This talks about the mentoring program.

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAPP_4040_PD_Specialty_Track__16_Ma_8397C7DEC4C48.pdf

That makes it look like a Mentor is just someone who helps a PDO cadidate get through his/her process(?)

Eclipse

The "mentors" referred to in this particular document are specifically in regards to
helping a member get through the PDO specialty track, not generalized mentors for
other roles or members.

Unit CCs are required to attest to a mentor being assigned to each new senior member
on the actual application, however there is nowhere to actually "assign" anyone to
that role specifically, and the attention to that paragraph is "inconsistent" at best.

The lack of a robust mentoring program, especially for the newest members, is repeatedly
and historically noted as an issue in regards to retention, especially for first-year members,
and is especially disappointing considering the amount of effort involved in implementing and
jump-starting the "Organizational Excellence" / "Command" track which in many wings has been
all but forgotten.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2017, 05:34:43 PM

The lack of a robust mentoring program, especially for the newest members, is repeatedly
and historically noted as an issue in regards to retention, especially for first-year members,

When I joined about 18 months ago, I "talked" with the PDO for about 5 minutes on the telephone as he told me which online courses to start with. I then have gone through everything on my own as I dived into eServices blind. Never assigned a mentor.

Interesting sidenote is that I have still never met our PDO in person in this 18 month period. His work schedule doesn't allow him to attend meetings. The really amusing part is that at the last Wing Conference, he was presented in absentia an award certificate for being a great PDO.  This stuff just tickles me, and reinforces the reasons why I do not attend conferences and award ceremonies. LOL

GaryVC

Mentoring was one of the topics in the Corporate Learning Class I took recently at the region conference. I think that it was my main takeaway idea.  As a person who prefers to do things on my own this was something of a revelation.

In my opinion, for mentoring to happen either the mentor or the person who wants mentoring needs to take the initiative. If this isn't happening the Commander, Deputy Commander for Seniors, Deputy Commander for Cadets, PDO, or other member with at least a technician rating needs to commit to mentoring new senior members or those learning a new skill.

etodd

Quote from: GaryVC on May 29, 2017, 06:34:49 PM

.... or other member with at least a technician rating needs to commit to mentoring new senior members or those learning a new skill.

How can or could that tie in to Evaluators?  I'm rated(?) now as a MS, AP and TMP Evaluator and would be happy to help a new member get through those processes if they are interested. I'm not a Technician, however.  Can one Senior Member help another without being an official "mentor" or is that frowned upon?

Eclipse

Of course, in fact that is the expectation of SETs, with the caveat that the best practice
is one SME teaches, while another tasks to reduce the propagation of bad or incorrect practices.

You don't have to be assigned as anyone's "mentor" for anything, officially, to show them the ropes
or help them with a specific skill.

"That Others May Zoom"