Main Menu

ABU belt is too big

Started by rpayne88, May 26, 2017, 08:59:16 AM

rpayne88

The smallest belt sold by Vanguard is 44".  My waist is about 28".  This, coupled with the type of buckle on the ABU belt (fold over and velcro) means it is simply impossible for me to wear it. 

Does anyone know where I can find a belt that actually fits me?

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Any sand colored riggers belt with a black buckle meets the standard. Amazon, most tactical gear sites, LAPolicegear.com, uscav.com, tacticalgear.com are all some sites that will have something that meets the regs. As someone whose waist size fluctuates between 28 and 31 depending on food intake and bowel movements, I feel your pain.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

Eclipse

It also doesn't have to be a riggers belt.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

I got small rigger belts for cheap a couple weeks back for my unit. Let me track down where I got them

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Is that really a "rigger's belt"?  It's fine for the uniform, but I thought these were "rigger's belts":

With the ring needing to support your weight in an emergency.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

If it is  a regular rigger belt (just a strap with a buckle, no velcro) you can cut the belt to the desired length (razor blades work best, minimize the fraying) and then melt the cut end or use some clear glue on it to keep it from fraying. 

If you'll grow some more, leave room.

chuckmilam

Quote from: rpayne88 on May 26, 2017, 08:59:16 AM
The smallest belt sold by Vanguard is 44".  My waist is about 28".

Give it about 20 years of senior membership and a full-time desk job, that belt will fit fine.  :D

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: chuckmilam on May 26, 2017, 03:45:23 PM
Quote from: rpayne88 on May 26, 2017, 08:59:16 AM
The smallest belt sold by Vanguard is 44".  My waist is about 28".

Give it about 20 years of senior membership and a full-time desk job, that belt will fit fine.  :D

Or about 5-10...

SarDragon

Y'all ain't doin' it right. My waist is 8" bigger than it was in 1969.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HGjunkie

Be careful buying them online - I ordered one off amazon and while everything said "Desert Sand" I actually ended up with the coyote brown one.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

LATORRECA

Just cut the belt to the measure on regulation 4"- 8"

R/S
Top Latorre

PHall

Quote from: LATORRECA on May 27, 2017, 08:31:50 PM
Just cut the belt to the measure on regulation 4"- 8"

R/S
Top Latorre

The current CAPM 39-1, Para 5.1.1.6, Says the black tip may extend up to one inch past the buckle. This is referring to the BDU uniform.
The current AFI 36-2903, Para 5.1.5, Says belt may extend past the buckle. No measurement given. This is referring to the ABU uniform.
The current ABU wear letter from National Headquarters gives no wear instructions at all. Just states "A standard Desert Tan belt will be worn."
This too is referring to the ABU uniform.

LATORRECA

Must of the Armed Forces are going 4-8 in. Cause the belts are to long. Just cut it.

R/S
Top Latorre

stillamarine

Quote from: Eclipse on May 26, 2017, 03:12:03 PM

Is that really a "rigger's belt"?  It's fine for the uniform, but I thought these were "rigger's belts":

With the ring needing to support your weight in an emergency.

Honestly neither are true to the history riggers belts. Riggers belts were just cargo straps that riggers cut down to size. I found mine in an old seabag a few months ago (surprisingly it actually shrank!) The ones you see know are just commercialized really. The one with the ring can be used for rappelling in an emergency but not recommended and if it's a cheap knockoff you'll find the bottom real fast.

It's amazing the things we used back in my time are now popular and expensive.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

supertigerCH

anyone out there remember the old days...

when a "problem" like this could be solved with a large pair of scissors?

(guess it still could be, for those continuing to wear the BDU uniform.  haven't yet ever tried (or had to try) shortening the riggers belt.)

Abby.L

Why not just leave it? The standard issue AF riggers belt is not meant to be cut/melted, as it would still fray. If you have a non AF riggers belt, I still don't see a problem with some slack.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with having some length to it. It's not like the blues/BDU belt, where there was a regulatory requirement to have it within x distance to x.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

stillamarine

Quote from: Levi Lockling on May 28, 2017, 07:11:13 AM
Why not just leave it? The standard issue AF riggers belt is not meant to be cut/melted, as it would still fray. If you have a non AF riggers belt, I still don't see a problem with some slack.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with having some length to it. It's not like the blues/BDU belt, where there was a regulatory requirement to have it within x distance to x.

If you cut it you just need to run over the end with a lighter.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

PHall

Quote from: stillamarine on May 28, 2017, 03:44:40 PM
Quote from: Levi Lockling on May 28, 2017, 07:11:13 AM

If you cut it you just need to run over the end with a lighter.

A soldering iron or any other hot piece of metal will work too. But don't ruin an iron to do it.

kmorgan73

The rigger belt available at Vanguard has one end with velcro, but it seems the other end (that is looped over the buckle end and stitched in a rectangle and X pattern) could be cut off.
Then you could cut it to your desired length (taking into consideration the added length to loop it through the buckle and stitch it), and restitch it down.
If you didn't have a sewing machine strong enough to go through the layers of belt, maybe you could find a good tailor shop that could stitch the belt end properly back on (we have one right outside the base that does super job stitching on the name tapes and patches).