Probably an ultrathin rackbuilder problem...

Started by Commo, May 16, 2017, 03:04:56 AM

Commo

... but I'll ask here before reporting it to them, on behalf of my Army brethren.

Is there any exception to the "Army Reserve Components Overseas Training" ribbon to where it cannot be worn on CAP USAF uniforms?  When using the ultrathin builder and selecting the CAP precedence "This ribbon is not allowed with the selected order of precedence."

I was in the Army Reserve prior to going active, so the exclusion on National Guard awards does not apply.  Even if I was ARNG, it's a federal award so it should be wearable anyway.

It allows the "Reserve Component Achievement Medal" (basically Good Conduct) with no complaints.

I vaguely recall some weirdness to where there isn't or wasn't a miniature medal version... probably due to the horizontal stripes.  Maybe ultrathins uses same rack logic for ribbons and mini-medals

If this links, it's the only ribbon (of all the services...?) with horizontal stripes.

http://imgur.com/a/lWVc7

Commo

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Ozzy

It should be allowed, might need to call them up when placing order (If you are going to order that is) and let them know. It looks like a programming error with the category code for the Overseas Training Ribbon
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Commo

Quote from: Ozzy on May 16, 2017, 03:24:38 AM
It should be allowed, might need to call them up when placing order (If you are going to order that is) and let them know. It looks like a programming error with the category code for the Overseas Training Ribbon

Thanks for confirmation.  I'll drop them an email and let them know.  I wasn't planning an order, although I do need to repair my Army rack for Memorial Day.  If the price is reasonable, I might give them a try.  I've never used a third party to do my ribbons before.

Commo

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on May 16, 2017, 03:08:57 AM

You have a similar problem with the "Coast Guard meritorious team" ribbon.  It is mistakenly also listed as an AUX award, and they tell you it is not authorized.

It is an actual Coast Guard award.

They have it listed in both categories for some reason, and the system kicks it out.

MSG Mac

The Air Force has it's own Overseas Ribbons, and when wearing the Air Force (CAP) uniform you would normally wear the host services ribbon. For example I served in both the USMC and US Army. I earned the Overseas Ribbon and Sea Service Deployment ribbons while a Marine, but upon joining the Army I wore the Army OS Ribbon
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

THRAWN

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 16, 2017, 12:51:50 PM
The Air Force has it's own Overseas Ribbons, and when wearing the Air Force (CAP) uniform you would normally wear the host services ribbon. For example I served in both the USMC and US Army. I earned the Overseas Ribbon and Sea Service Deployment ribbons while a Marine, but upon joining the Army I wore the Army OS Ribbon

Have a regulatory cite on that?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

kwe1009

I do not believe that is correct and I have never heard of that in over 30 years in the USAF.  It might be an Army or Marine Corp thing but it certainly doesn't apply to the Air Force and thus it doesn't apply to CAP either.  You wear the ribbons you were awarded, regardless of the service.

SarDragon

Quote from: Commo on May 16, 2017, 03:04:56 AM

[redacted]

If this links, it's the only ribbon (of all the services...?) with horizontal stripes.

Actually, the Navy Presidential Unit Citation also has horizontal stripes.

Consult AFI 36-2903 to see which other service awards may be worn on AF and CAP uniforms. I just found out that I can't wear my Navy Expeditionary Medal on my CAP uniform. This also came up on the Ultra Thin site.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

kwe1009

Quote from: SarDragon on May 17, 2017, 04:32:59 AM

Consult AFI 36-2903 to see which other service awards may be worn on AF and CAP uniforms. I just found out that I can't wear my Navy Expeditionary Medal on my CAP uniform. This also came up on the Ultra Thin site.

Why can't you wear it?  According to 36-2903 11.3.1. Wear other military service department awards not included in paragraph 11.5 below
in the order the awarding Service prescribes.
.  11.5 shows the order of precedence.

SarDragon

Quote from: kwe1009 on May 17, 2017, 12:47:18 PM

Why can't you wear it?  According to 36-2903 11.3.1. Wear other military service department awards not included in paragraph 11.5 below
in the order the awarding Service prescribes.  11.5 shows the order of precedence.

It certainly does, and the Navy Expeditionary Medal isn't on that list. The Air Force Expeditionary Service medal and Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal are. It's not a case of being a new award, either. I got mine 30+ years ago.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

kwe1009

Quote from: SarDragon on May 17, 2017, 05:43:08 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on May 17, 2017, 12:47:18 PM

in the order the awarding Service prescribes.  11.5 shows the order of precedence.

It certainly does, and the Navy Expeditionary Medal isn't on that list. The Air Force Expeditionary Service medal and Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal are. It's not a case of being a new award, either. I got mine 30+ years ago.

What does this part mean then?

Wear other military service department awards not included in paragraph 11.5 below in the order the awarding Service prescribes.

SarDragon

Excellent question. I am having trouble reconciling the two issues.

Actually, I don't really care, since I'll never wear a combined rack of my CAP and Navy ribbons. I'm stuck in the corporate uniform combinations.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Shuman 14

Quote from: SarDragon on May 17, 2017, 07:29:12 PM

Actually, I don't really care, since I'll never wear a combined rack of my CAP and Navy ribbons. I'm stuck in the corporate uniform combinations.

Never say never. If it's a weight issue, you can lose the weight.

Or, maybe someday the USAF will authorize a Corporate uniform on which Military decorations will be authorized, you never know.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

SarDragon

Quote from: shuman14 on May 17, 2017, 09:21:52 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on May 17, 2017, 07:29:12 PM

Never say never. If it's a weight issue, you can lose the weight.

I ain't shaving, and that's all I have to say about that.  >:D

Or, maybe someday the USAF will authorize a Corporate uniform on which Military decorations will be authorized, you never know.

Don't hold your breath.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

I could wear a combined USAF/CAP rack, but I don't because the combined total is 41 ribbons.
And I have no desire to look like a South American Dictator!

SarDragon

You already do. 😂

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on May 18, 2017, 01:35:18 AM
You already do. 😂

Says the man with the Che' beard! >:D

SarDragon

Nah, mine is better.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sarmed1

Quote from: kwe1009 on May 16, 2017, 01:36:12 PM

I do not believe that is correct and I have never heard of that in over 30 years in the USAF.  It might be an Army or Marine Corp thing but it certainly doesn't apply to the Air Force and thus it doesn't apply to CAP either.  You wear the ribbons you were awarded, regardless of the service.

The closest I have seen this is when I switched from the Army NG to the USAF Reserve in regards to small arms qualification.  Since the Army wears a badge and the AF a ribbon, someone in the MPF converted my expert quals for rifle and pistol into the ribbon in my personnel folder.   Although, the vMPF still incorrectly shows me has having the AF training Ribbon vs the Army Training ribbon even though I have sent them numerous correction requests.  I just wear the Army one.....

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel