Main Menu

AFOEA

Started by Arc light, April 17, 2017, 04:27:18 AM

Arc light

So I was reading on the Internet, and on http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2701/~/cap-organizational-excellence-award-(afoea). It said, The Air Force is in the process of determining wear requirements for the AFOEA and we will let CAP members know what those requirements are just as soon as we receive them from the Air Force. What I am confused about is why is there a lot of debate about this award and how long do you think it will take to solve the problem. The main thing is what is the big obstacle from keeping us from wearing this or is there an obstacle at all?

Thank you

Abby.L

Well, as it is an AD award, anyone who wear AF blues could theoretically wear the AFOUA without too many problems.

Now, the problem is for the Corporate folks. The corporate uniforms do not allow for AD awards. So, do we just not let them join in on the festivities? Do we make an allowance for just this award? Do we not allow anyone to wear it and just have something hanging on the wall? That's what the AF is determining.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

lordmonar

Add the additional wrinkle of CAP members who are also AD/NG/RES members of the Air Force.....or may become one in the future.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Abby.L

Quote from: lordmonar on April 17, 2017, 05:00:04 AM
Add the additional wrinkle of CAP members who are also AD/NG/RES members of the Air Force.....or may become one in the future.

That's true too. I don't know if, as an AD member, my membership in CAP allows wear of an AFOUA even if my AD unit has never earned it. Again, this is what the AF is determing. Though it may seem simple, there are a lot of things that the AF are looking at in terms of wear of the award.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

kwe1009

This is a difficult task for the AF because the award is for military members.  While technically civilian employees of organizations that earn this award receive it too, they don't wear a uniform so there isn't an issue of if they can wear the ribbon or not.  For current or former military, they are not assigned to CAP through official USAF orders so technically they can't wear it either.  Then there is the issue of wearing (and earning) a military decoration by minors (cadets) and those adults who are not military.

Lots of layers to this issue and it will probably require an ICL to AFI 36-2803, CAPR 39-3 and CAPM 39-1.

Arc light

Do you know long it will take or a ballpark estimate of when the higher ups will make a decision? One more month? Two?
Thank you

kwe1009

Quote from: Arc light on April 17, 2017, 02:28:46 PM
Do you know long it will take or a ballpark estimate of when the higher ups will make a decision? One more month? Two?
Thank you

I doubt it is a very high priority with the USAF so it could take a VERY long time.

SarDragon

As in months, or possibly years. Don't hold your breath. Find something more important to devote your time to.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

I know several members of the CGAux who were awarded the MUC and wear it with no problem. If it was the intention of the AF that CAP members not wear the award, it wouldn't have been awarded.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 17, 2017, 06:28:24 PM
I know several members of the CGAux who were awarded the MUC and wear it with no problem. If it was the intention of the AF that CAP members not wear the award, it wouldn't have been awarded.

You said it right there Coast Guard Auxiliary. Different service, different rules...

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 17, 2017, 06:28:24 PM

The "question" was likely never even considered to be a problem.

Any other time the USAF presents the award, either those receiving it are authorized the wear with no question (service personnel),
or have no means to wear it at all (civilian personnel).

The question of whether non-service civilians could or should wear it on an auxiliary's military-style uniform was likely brought up sometime after it was awarded,
and that doesn't even bring into play the further questions of whether service personnel who are also CAP members could wear it on their military uniforms,
nor how it looks generally to present an award ~50% of the membership could never wear regardless due to the lack of uniform choice.

This was a "Hey, that'd be nice." gesture as a culmination of the anniversary year, nothing more, nothing less.  Based solely on the published
criteria, it's still questionable as to whether CAP actually qualified at all, except that, just as with some "interesting" internal CAP decorations,
qualified or not, the award was, in fact, presented, making that particular branch of the argument moot.

The streamer is the beginning and the end of the dec, move on.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

Just to throw a little gasoline on this fire...

As was pointed out the US Coast Guard Auxiliary routinely awards Military Unit Citations (PUC-CG, CGUC, MUC-CG, etc.), certain Military Service ribbons (Special Operations Service Ribbon,  Coast Guard Recruiting Service Ribbon, etc.) and occasionally decorations (Gold and Silver Lifesaving Medals) to Auxiliarists.  As was also pointed out, different Service different rules but for anyone trying to make the case for the benefit of CAP members to be able to wear it as an actual decoration on the USAF Style uniforms, they could cite this as an argument "FOR" authorizing this.

Again, different rules for different Services, but whenever I was awarded a USCG Decoration, I was able to get a copy of the Award uploaded into the Army's iPERMS system, have the award properly documented on my DA Form 2-1 and in my online ORB and was granted authorization to wear them on my Army uniform. Only once did my Reserve unit ask for additional documentation, which was a simple memorandum stating I was a member of the unit at the time the unit award was presented and that I was entitled to its award.

So depending on how the Air Force handles this process on the distribution and wear of the AFOEA by CAP, members who are also AC, RC or NG Servicemembers may be able to carry it over to their respective Services.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

kwe1009

Quote from: shuman14 on April 19, 2017, 01:55:33 PM
Just to throw a little gasoline on this fire...

As was pointed out the US Coast Guard Auxiliary routinely awards Military Unit Citations (PUC-CG, CGUC, MUC-CG, etc.), certain Military Service ribbons (Special Operations Service Ribbon,  Coast Guard Recruiting Service Ribbon, etc.) and occasionally decorations (Gold and Silver Lifesaving Medals) to Auxiliarists.  As was also pointed out, different Service different rules but for anyone trying to make the case for the benefit of CAP members to be able to wear it as an actual decoration on the USAF Style uniforms, they could cite this as an argument "FOR" authorizing this.

Again, different rules for different Services, but whenever I was awarded a USCG Decoration, I was able to get a copy of the Award uploaded into the Army's iPERMS system, have the award properly documented on my DA Form 2-1 and in my online ORB and was granted authorization to wear them on my Army uniform. Only once did my Reserve unit ask for additional documentation, which was a simple memorandum stating I was a member of the unit at the time the unit award was presented and that I was entitled to its award.

So depending on how the Air Force handles this process on the distribution and wear of the AFOEA by CAP, members who are also AC, RC or NG Servicemembers may be able to carry it over to their respective Services.

Those are all very good points but I'm thinking the real problem with the AFOEA ribbon wear are cadets.  I do not think that the Air Force wants to give a military decoration to a minor.  That is just my thought.

Shuman 14

QuoteThose are all very good points but I'm thinking the real problem with the AFOEA ribbon wear are cadets.  I do not think that the Air Force wants to give a military decoration to a minor.  That is just my thought.

I could see that as an issue but the Cadets at West Point were all awarded NDSM so I would guess the Air Force Academy Cadets got them too. I would think it's possible for a Freshman to be only 17 and technically a minor but be in the various Academies.

Also I know it's possible to enlisted in the Army Reserve or the Army National Guard at 17, while a Junior in High School and attend Basic Training during the summer between your Junior and Senior years. You need a parent/guardian permission and a letter from the principal stating the enlistee is "on track to graduate" and that Military service will not interfere with their academic program.

So it's quite possible to be in the Military and be a minor, but the USAF is different from the Army so different rules.
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

kwe1009

Quote from: shuman14 on April 19, 2017, 04:52:11 PM
QuoteThose are all very good points but I'm thinking the real problem with the AFOEA ribbon wear are cadets.  I do not think that the Air Force wants to give a military decoration to a minor.  That is just my thought.

I could see that as an issue but the Cadets at West Point were all awarded NDSM so I would guess the Air Force Academy Cadets got them too. I would think it's possible for a Freshman to be only 17 and technically a minor but be in the various Academies.

Also I know it's possible to enlisted in the Army Reserve or the Army National Guard at 17, while a Junior in High School and attend Basic Training during the summer between your Junior and Senior years. You need a parent/guardian permission and a letter from the principal stating the enlistee is "on track to graduate" and that Military service will not interfere with their academic program.

So it's quite possible to be in the Military and be a minor, but the USAF is different from the Army so different rules.

Everyone you mentioned is in the military so that is a big difference between them and an 8th grade cadet.

Shuman 14

QuoteEveryone you mentioned is in the military so that is a big difference between them and an 8th grade cadet.

True that is a big difference but to point back to the USCG Auxiliary you can be 17 and never in the Military and be awarded USCG decorations.

Bottom line is the USAF is gonna do what it wants to do regarding this Award and our opinions will mean little in that decision.

So stand by to standby.
Joseph J. Clune

GaryVC

Quote from: lordmonar on April 17, 2017, 05:00:04 AM

And retired. I received this award twice while I was on active duty.

etodd

Quote from: SarDragon on April 17, 2017, 04:59:43 PM
Find something more important to devote your time to.

I've wanted to say that in a few dozen other threads over the last few months, but didn't have the nerve.  >:D
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

LATORRECA

Ribbon chasers[emoji954][emoji954][emoji954] every body gets a medal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CyBorgII

Forgive the intrusion from probably very few CT habitues' favourite former CAP member.  No, I have not been successful at rejoining CAP but I am at last at a measure of peace with it - not completely there, but on the way.

I am back in the CG Auxiliary (and it's groovy, man) and a few weeks ago I e-mailed Susie Parker about this ribbon.  I was in CAP during the time eligible and I asked Ms Parker about wearing the AFOEA ribbon on my CGAux uniform.  CAP ribbons cannot be worn on the CGAux uniform but of course certain Air Force ones can.

Her reply was 'the Air Force has not yet made a decision on who can wear it and until they do I have to say "no, not at this time."'

So I will await with no great alacrity the decision of the brass of a sister service (fancy way of saying 'if they authorise it, cool; if not, life goes on.'

I suggest that my former CAP colleagues do the same, though I understand the significance of what is probably the first potential authorisation by the AF for CAP to wear an active AF ribbon.
Whaddaya mean I ain't kind?  I'm just not YOUR kind!

Ex-CAP Captain, now CG Auxiliary, but still feel a great deal of affection for the many good people in CAP.