Is encampment really as bad as they say?

Started by T8nker, April 11, 2017, 11:01:45 PM

T8nker

I'm going to the AL wing summer encampment this summer, and I'm really nervous about it. Some cadets in my squadron say encampment is the worst, while others say it's not. Can I get some clarification from more experienced members?

Brad

I've worked with a handful of ALWG members through NESA, both Cadets and Seniors, and from what I can tell they have a squared away program. That said, you are likely worrying due to puffed up stories that are given undue context by...overeager...Cadets with a hindered perspective based on their personal experiences as an encampment student or cadre.

1. Yes, encampment is higher on the intensity level than your typical squadron meeting. Cadet staff members may end up using a strong command presence to motivate you to better achieve a task.

2. No, it is not like boot camp where someone will be screaming at the top of their lungs right next to your face and making you run around to the point of exhaustion or humiliating you. That is a CPPT concern and one that is very carefully monitored by Senior staff members.

Quote from: CAPP 60-70
1.1 Introduction
a. Mission. The purpose of the cadet encampment is for cadets to develop leadership skills, investigate the aerospace sciences and related careers, commit to a habit of regular exercise, and solidify their moral character.

b. Vision. The vision for the cadet encampment is "an immersion into the full challenges and opportunities of cadet life."

c. Philosophy. Encampment presents the five key traits of cadet life – the uniform, aerospace themes, opportunities to lead, challenge, and fun (ref: CAPR 60-1, chapter 1) – in an intensive environment that moves cadets beyond their normal comfort zones for personal growth.

Through activities such as rappelling, obstacle courses, firearms training, and the like, encampments encourage safe, calculated risk-taking in a safe environment. To develop their resilience, cadets may encounter momentary setbacks toward their personal and team goals during the carefully designed activities. Adult guidance and encouragement from fellow cadets ensures a supportive environment.

Encampment showcases the Cadet Program's regimented, military-like training model in a positive, age-appropriate manner consistent with CAP and Air Force traditions. Encampments operate at a higher level of intensity in respect to the military aspects of cadet life than virtually any other cadet activity, short of some of the premiere NCSAs. The strictness, rigor, sense of urgency, and overall expectations of military bearing will be markedly more challenging at encampment – yet still age-appropriate – compared with a weekly squadron meeting or Saturday field exercise. CAPP 52-23, Cadet Protection Policy Implementation Guide, is a "must read" for its valuable discussion about intensity levels. Overall, encampments should be fun, in part because they challenge cadets and enable them to earn a sense of accomplishment.

Personally, I highly recommend reading CAPP 60-70, the Cadet Encampment Guide  and moreso CAPP 60-71, the Cadet Encampment Handbook, which you hopefully will receive at encampment anyway. These publications will hopefully put things into a more valid perspective for you.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

T8nker

Eclipse

You will be nervous, stressed, and love it.

If you know something, help others, when you dont, ask for help.

Open up to the lessons, embrace the things that are uncomfortable, and enjoy the activities. By the second or third day you'll be sad it's almost over and talking about next year.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Its Alabama in the summer. Most Cadets I hear talking about encampments love the Winter one more. The hot, humid summer one here really takes its toll. They all still enjoy it, but just make sure to keep hydrated!!!!
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Arc light

I literally just finished my spring encampment last week and I can honestly say I will miss it but at the same time happy it's over. Encampment is only stressful if you make it stressful, just some pointers, bring and drink plenty of water, always carry a small notebook and writing utensil, greet all officers accordingly, and always try your hardest and you will be fine.

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

Yes and no. The first 2-3 days are pretty rough but after that, you should be fine. It's more you could say of an emotional war on the first 2 days especially on the first after that like I said you should be fine.
C/SSgt Cassie

Airplane girl

Encampment is one of the best experiences I've had in CAP. I remember my first encampment I was really nervous and I felt like puking for the first two days. But I was excited to be there and I just went with the flow and did what people told me to do. Once I got used to the environment, I really enjoyed encampment. I pushed myself to meet the cadet staff's standards and ended up getting a perfect score on a few general knowledge inspections and a room inspection.

My mindset on encampment (as a student or in any staff position) is that honestly it can be the best or the worst week you've ever had, and you're the only one who can decide that. Unpredictable and stressful things will happen at encampment. But a big part of becoming a leader is learning how to get through those situations, and to help other people get through them too.

OldGuy

Part of the experience is the anticipatory dread for some, and they then want to share that dread. Ignore the horror stories, you will treasure your experience for a lifetime. My first encampment was 45 years ago, so I speak from experience. Even better than my first, was being on staff. An amazing, life shaping set of events. Carefully check and double check your packing list, memorize your knowledge tasks and go with enthusiasm.

MSG Mac

Encampments are not as bad as they say, though it can be stressful. For many cadets this is the first time they've ever been away from home and there can be separation anxiety. There are also cadets who have never been expected to do things for themselves. The stress falls away after a day or so when everyone gets used to each other. after that just take it one day at a time
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

etodd

Y'all do realize this thread is a year old?  I think the Cadet must have attended one last year.  ;)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

Quote from: etodd on February 21, 2018, 03:27:03 AM
Y'all do realize this thread is a year old?  I think the Cadet must have attended one last year.  ;)

I think we can safely turn this one off, and continue future efforts in a new thread.

Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret