Squadron ES Training schedules

Started by biomed441, January 23, 2017, 08:05:25 PM

biomed441

A little backstory, I served as a squadron commander for a few years, but coming out of the cadet programs side of things, ES was not my top priority and we had a program in place that ensure ES training happened without disrupting the tight scheduling requirements for cadet programs.  This was over 5 years ago and I took a hiatus after my run as CC. Coming back it seems the new leadership has decided to push ES hard, which is great, though I'm seeing some issues arise with cadet programs staff now not being able to complete requirements for the program because things like drill, leadership, and PT on occasion become secondary to ES training.  Something else that concerned me was a comment from our CDC that "I understand ES isn't required, but if you're going to be a cadet in this squadron, you are doing ES". This mentality now becoming a a potential promotion standard that if you don't participate, you don't promote.

I believe this to be an unhealthy approach and I will be addressing the squadron staff about my concerns in this regard, though the way I did things isn't the only way and I'm curious to see what other training programs/schedules some of you have had success with so I might be able to provide several ideas to the commander, ES officer and CDC.

Our wing and group to say the least is very lacking in the way of providing ES training so units are largely on their own to request mission numbers and set up training to supplement the wing, which at this point seems more interest in doing constant preparation for SAREVALs. We have 29 Cadets on our roster, 25 Actively show up every week if this information makes any difference in your response.  Anyways, let me know how you all handle ES training in your units and I'm open to thoughts on some of the other concerns I've expressed and if any of you have dealt with similar issues in the past.

Eclipse

If the unit is trying to attain QCUA, including AEX, it's going to be very difficult to inject meaningful ES training
into that situation, as a bare-bones schedule eats most contact hours a month as it is, including a weekend activity.

That being said, GES is now a part of QCUA, so there's that to consider, and I suppose could be construed
as somewhat of a national mandate for cadets to be involved in ES.

"Participates regularly" is a granted subjective part of promotion, however any cadet denied promotion
has to receive a remediation plan immediately, and if that plan includes any objective items other then what is in 52-16,
the CC is looking for trouble, as adding anything objective like "get GT3" is verboten.

The fifth-weeks are one good place to do this training, but beyond that, it probably needs to be separated from the CP,
per se, especially to insure cadets not interested aren't forced into things, sooner then later that will affect retention.

I have no issue "requiring" (in the same way CAP can "require" anything) that cadets knock out GES to insure the unit maintains
QCUA as well as for the familiarization aspect, but beyond that, if a cadet doesn't want to go looking for people, that's their choice,
in the same way we don't / can't force cadets to fly who aren't interested.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

I required all of my cadet staff to have GES done.  Also, if we were going to have a squadron camping trip everyone had to have GES done beforehand.  Since it is just a matter of taking a test and getting your first promotion, there shouldn't be an issue for cadets to get this done.  Below was our schedule and we were able to meet 52-16 time requirements as well in a 2 hour weekly meeting.  It just takes organization and planning.

First Thursday   Cadet Physical Fitness / Leadership
Second Thursday   Character Development / Aerospace
Third Thursday   Emergency Services
Fourth Thursday   Promotion Ceremony / Aerospace Education
Fifth Thursday   Practical Applications & Fieldwork

SarDragon

In my olde unit, we pretty much saved the ES training for weekends. We didn't require everyone to complete GES, but it was needed to participate in the weekend stuff. Most of the cadets were eager to do it, so it never became an issue. "Fifth" meeting nights were used for various things, including ES, but not always.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

biomed441

If it was just GES we were talking about, I'd really have no concerns. That is something cadets can do on their own time, or if we do have some unused time during regular contact each week, that would be an option. What I'm specifically speaking towards is the supplementing AE, Leadership, and here and there Character Development, to do GTM3+ or mission staff training. 

Alaric

Quote from: biomed441 on January 24, 2017, 02:31:15 PM
If it was just GES we were talking about, I'd really have no concerns. That is something cadets can do on their own time, or if we do have some unused time during regular contact each week, that would be an option. What I'm specifically speaking towards is the supplementing AE, Leadership, and here and there Character Development, to do GTM3+ or mission staff training.

We have a group structure and one Saturday a month is dedicated to task based training to get people trained and signed off on the ground and mission base items.  We tend to run a "ground school" for scanner and a separate one for photographer a couple of times a year