Main Menu

joining at age 18

Started by bdupants, January 01, 2017, 07:20:05 PM

bdupants

hey guys I'm thinking about joining CAP because I want to join the Army after college. the problem is that I'm already 18 and I want to be a cadet so I can go to basic encampment and CAP ranger school. some of the sites I've seen say you can join as a cadet as long as it's before your 19th birthday, which is in May for me. some other sites say you have to be a senior officer once you're 18. which is right? thanks guys

SarDragon

Quote from: CAPR 39-22-1. General. Cadet membership in CAP is available to all young men and women who meet the eligibility requirements outlined in paragraph 2-2. Cadets who become members before their 19th birthday may retain their cadet status until they reach 21 years of age; however, senior membership is optional for all cadets at age 18 (see paragraph 3-5 for application procedures).

That said, concurrently attending college and participating in CAP is tough. Available time will be at a premium.

In addition, as an 18 yo, you will be at the bottom of the leadership hierarchy, subordinate to cadets possibly two or three years younger than you. I think the general recommendation will be to join as a senior member.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bdupants

Quote from: SarDragon on January 01, 2017, 07:37:16 PM
Quote from: CAPR 39-22-1. General. Cadet membership in CAP is available to all young men and women who meet the eligibility requirements outlined in paragraph 2-2. Cadets who become members before their 19th birthday may retain their cadet status until they reach 21 years of age; however, senior membership is optional for all cadets at age 18 (see paragraph 3-5 for application procedures).

That said, concurrently attending college and participating in CAP is tough. Available time will be at a premium.

In addition, as an 18 yo, you will be at the bottom of the leadership hierarchy, subordinate to cadets possibly two or three years younger than you. I think the general recommendation will be to join as a senior member.
yeah I don't know how far I can get in the program but I'd rather be a cadet I think. my uncle was a cadet back in the day and now he's a senior, and he says cadets learn a lot more. that's why I'm asking. thank you for your help

SarDragon

How old was your uncle when he was a cadet? I joined at 15, and did OK. Joining at 18 is a lot different.

As for what you learn, I wouldn't say that you learn more as a cadet, just different things.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bdupants

Quote from: SarDragon on January 01, 2017, 08:07:01 PM
How old was your uncle when he was a cadet? I joined at 15, and did OK. Joining at 18 is a lot different.

As for what you learn, I wouldn't say that you learn more as a cadet, just different things.
he was 16 almost 17 and said it was helpful when he went into the Navy. I doubt I can get as much out of it as he did with my age and all but I want to try

what are major differences? I'm open to joining as a senior if its better

GaryVC

I think you should go for it. I was 16 when I joined and 17 when I went to encampment for the first time. I was active in CAP all the way through college as well.

kwe1009

Does your college have an ROTC program?  That would be the best way to go.  Then you would be an officer after graduating.  It is much harder to become an officer with just a college degree unless it is in something the Army really needs.

If there isn't an ROTC program, join as a cadet.  You will learn how to march, wear a uniform properly, salute, etc.  You will not necessarily learn those if you just join as a Senior Member.  Like others have said, you will be at the bottom and your Flight Sergeant will probably be a 13 year old.  This may not be ideal for you but frankly that is the way life works so get used to it.  I'm a SNCO in the USAF (over 25 years) and I often work for LTs that are 20 years younger than me.  At least in terms of CAP, that 13 year old Flight Sergeant has more experience than you.

If you join as a cadet and for whatever reason decide that it isn't working out you can always switch to being a Senior Member at any time.  If you join as a Senior Member then you are stuck.  Even as an 18 year old, you have the opportunity to advance through most of the program depending on how much time you have.

Anthony@CAP

In terms of what age you can join, the definitive answer from National HQ is as long as it's before your 19th birthday you can join as a cadet. It's not particularly important for you, but there continues to be some confusion because the pertinent CAP regulation seems to contradict itself on the matter do to poor wording, but from a practical standpoint (which I can verify) HQ will process a cadet application for someone who is 18 years old.

HQ's answer hasn't been widely communicated to all squadron commanders or members, so if the Squadron Commander is unsure, you can always reference the FAQ on the NHQ website: http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/how_to_join/youth_faq/ or ask that he/she contact NHQ directly to verify.

I won't reiterate the warnings about time and hierarchy, but do take them into consideration in your choice.