Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 09:21:37 PM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  Cadet Programs  |  Encampments & NCSAs  |  Topic: LESA South or encampment?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: LESA South or encampment?  (Read 899 times)
EMiller878

Unit: TX-295

« on: November 05, 2016, 01:12:06 AM »

Hello all! I just joined as a senior member in Texas, and I'm 18. As a new senior, should I go to/staff encampment or go to LESA South? I don't know much about either on the senior side so any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 01:52:02 AM by EMiller878 » Logged
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: NAVAIRPAC

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 02:32:37 AM »

Are you a former cadet? That makes a big difference in the advice you might get.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
Nick
Seasoned Member

Unit: SWR-TX-001

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 08:32:24 AM »

Also are you more interested in spending a week at a cadet program activity or emergency services activity? They're totally different experiences so that will have some influence.

And, another thing to consider... how far do you want to travel? Encampment is in Nacogdoches, LESA-S is in Brownsville. Practically opposite ends of the state, so depending on where you are that may be something worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy
EMiller878

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »

Are you a former cadet? That makes a big difference in the advice you might get.
I was not, and this will be my first big event as a CAP member.
EMiller878

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 12:54:28 PM »

Also are you more interested in spending a week at a cadet program activity or emergency services activity? They're totally different experiences so that will have some influence.

And, another thing to consider... how far do you want to travel? Encampment is in Nacogdoches, LESA-S is in Brownsville. Practically opposite ends of the state, so depending on where you are that may be something worth considering.

I'm still learning about them both but leaning emernency services. I would really like to get into ground team.

I'm fine with traveling long distances!
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 12:57:21 PM »

If these are your only / best choices, I would suggest LESA, and leave staffing encampments to later in your CAP career
when you've had time to learn / understand what CAP is and how it works.

"Effort" does not equal "results".
The contents of this post are Copyright 2017 by eclipse. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Nick
Seasoned Member

Unit: SWR-TX-001

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 02:53:36 PM »

I agree, especially if you have an interest in emergency services.

Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: NAVAIRPAC

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 06:01:04 PM »

I was not, and this will be my first big event as a CAP member.

Go to LESA. It will help integrate you into CAP in general, and make involvement in the cadet program down the road a little easier. You will gain experience that you can pass on to the cadets.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
PHall
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 08:01:04 PM »

You're 18 and have never been a cadet?  Yeah, go to LESA. You'll probably have a much better time.
Pages: [1] Print 
CAP Talk  |  Cadet Programs  |  Encampments & NCSAs  |  Topic: LESA South or encampment?