Has Anyone Received The New ABU's?

Started by JAFO78, June 06, 2016, 12:10:02 AM

SarDragon

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 06, 2016, 10:04:12 PM
How did CAWG get to approve their own GT uniform in a complete departure of CAPM 39-1? I always thought that was strange, especially since CAPM 39-1 doesn't have any provisions for this type of wing-specific uniform.

One of our primary customers, Cal OES, stated a preference for that style uniform when doing SAR activities, especially during joint ops with other CA agencies. In its final iteration, it was approved by NHQ, but the current wing commander decided to eliminate it, for whatever reason(s).

Are we done beating this dead horse now? It is unlikely that it will return in the foreseeable future.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

Quote from: SarDragon on June 06, 2016, 11:27:02 PM
How did CAWG get to approve their own GT uniform in a complete departure of CAPM 39-1? I always thought that was strange, especially since CAPM 39-1 doesn't have any provisions for this type of wing-specific uniform.

One of our primary customers, Cal OES, stated a preference for that style uniform when doing SAR activities, especially during joint ops with other CA agencies. In its final iteration, it was approved by NHQ, but the current wing commander decided to eliminate it, for whatever reason(s).

Are we done beating this dead horse now? It is unlikely that it will return in the foreseeable future.

The supplement that this was authorized in became null and invalid when 39-1 was redone in 2014.  So therefore no new supp then uniform is no longer allowed. 

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Storm Chaser

I didn't know asking a question about a subject I know very little is considered "beating a dead horse". I'll keep that in mind for the future.

PHall

Because they actually wrote up the proposal and got it approved by Region and National.
For awhile the California Office of Emergency Services strongly suggested that if we wished to continue to do Ground Team activities in the State that we needed to get with the program and wear orange shirts like the rest of the SAR Teams in the state.
Change in personnel at CAWG and at CalOES resulted in the "requirement" going away.
Current CAWG/CC was never a fan and killed the uniform.

JAFO78

Unofficial word I received tonight is our wing is getting only 330 ABU's, we have 550 cadets on record. Not sure if this is first batch or total. I told a cadets mother that she would be better off looking at surplus stores if she want to upgrade her daughters to ABU's. You can't give 330 uniforms to 550 cadets, new math or not. ???  ::) 
JAFO

SarDragon

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 07, 2016, 04:38:47 AM

I didn't know asking a question about a subject I know very little is considered "beating a dead horse". I'll keep that in mind for the future.

It's beating a dead horse because: a) orange shirts have been discussed ad nauseum for many months, at least as far back as 2008, and b) they're gone, hopefully never to reappear, even though I do really like orange.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

kwe1009

Quote from: RobG on June 07, 2016, 05:12:33 AM
Unofficial word I received tonight is our wing is getting only 330 ABU's, we have 550 cadets on record. Not sure if this is first batch or total. I told a cadets mother that she would be better off looking at surplus stores if she want to upgrade her daughters to ABU's. You can't give 330 uniforms to 550 cadets, new math or not. ???  ::)

With 550 cadets on record, I would be surprised if you have 330 actively participating cadets.  When you throw available sizes in the mix you will probably be very lucky to outfit 200 cadets with a single uniform. 

Remember, the ABU is not unisex like the BDUs.  There are male and female sizes and they are cut differently as well.  This will make outfitting everyone even more challenging.

RogueLeader

From what I was told by AAFESS, is that females are allowed- in the Air Force at least- that females are allowed (and do) wear the male ABU's as they seem to fit better.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Abby.L

Quote from: RogueLeader on June 07, 2016, 05:07:00 PM
From what I was told by AAFESS, is that females are allowed- in the Air Force at least- that females are allowed (and do) wear the male ABU's as they seem to fit better.
I was about to say this, but you got to it first. Honestly, I'd be willing to bet that CAP gives the go-ahead for unisex wear of the male uniform, just as they've okay'd male flight/service caps following ma blue's lead. Outfitting 300 active cadets shouldn't be too difficult with all the ABU surplus.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

THRAWN

That's great unless they're giving us a boat load of female unis. Oh, the hilarity....much like Michael Scott's "MISSterious" suit...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

kwe1009

That is true but males are not allowed to wear the female ABU in the Air Force.  CAP has not spoken on this either way.  I don't see it as a huge deal unless someone decides to make a fuss about it (what are the odd of someone creating an issue of uniforms in CAP?  >:D ).  Most likely the smaller cadets (male or female) will have to wear the female ABU simply because of the size. 

Quote from: Levi Lockling on June 07, 2016, 05:12:53 PM
I was about to say this, but you got to it first. Honestly, I'd be willing to bet that CAP gives the go-ahead for unisex wear of the male uniform, just as they've okay'd male flight/service caps following ma blue's lead. Outfitting 300 active cadets shouldn't be too difficult with all the ABU surplus.

Depends on the sizes available and the size of the cadets.  I haven't seen what is available so hopefully we will be able to help a lot of cadets.

Storm Chaser

There's a complete inventory available by base. Your wing should have that list.

RogueLeader

Quote from: kwe1009 on June 07, 2016, 07:26:01 PM

That is true but males are not allowed to wear the female ABU in the Air Force.  CAP has not spoken on this either way.  I don't see it as a huge deal unless someone decides to make a fuss about it (what are the odd of someone creating an issue of uniforms in CAP?  >:D ).  Most likely the smaller cadets (male or female) will have to wear the female ABU simply because of the size. 

I never said that males could.  I figured that CAP would follow the Air Force policy in this regard. 
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AirAux

When is the orange shirt ES uniform phase in period, I can't find it??

RogueLeader

Quote from: AirAux on June 07, 2016, 08:39:06 PM
Expired, no longer relevant.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

PHall

12/31/36.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Toth

SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

THRAWN

Smarch 32 of next year....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023