Main Menu

changing squadrons

Started by stitchmom, June 03, 2016, 04:41:03 AM

stitchmom

Do you go to the current commander first and ask to change?

Майор Хаткевич

The transfer is done by the receiving commander. Not a bad idea to let the current one know it's coming, and if there are any issues such as adverse membership actions pending/active, the losing commander can dispute the switch.

Eclipse

The presumption is that it's already been cleared by the new unit - their Membership Board must approve the transfer.

"That Others May Zoom"

stitchmom

Do you know how long it takes once you contact the new squadron? There are no adverse issues.

Eclipse

The transfer process is instantaneous when the receiving commander initiates, however how long it
takes to be accepted by the new unit, presuming you are, is dependent on them and their policies.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: stitchmom on June 04, 2016, 04:37:49 AM
Do you know how long it takes once you contact the new squadron? There are no adverse issues.

Once you show up at the new unit, and go to the membership board, the transfer can happen in whatever time it takes for the right person to log in to eServices, and push the button.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

The losing Commander has the ability to cancel the transfer for cause (adverse action pending, owe money or equipment to the squadron, etc.)
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

jhighman

To add to Mac's statement, the losing commander will receive a notice of the transfer in the approvals/validation module of eServices and will have up to four months to reject the transfer.

TheSkyHornet

I recently went through this in several situations:

1.) I had a cadet quit CAP. He decided it wasn't his thing. He didn't bother to tell any of the senior members. His father, also a senior member, finally told us. Stopped showing up. Never responded to emails, texts, or calls by cadets. Just AWOL'd and waited for his membership to expire. Had the unit been the problem for him, we would have gladly helped him relocate. Burned those bridges...

2.) I had three cadets transfer out. They (and their parents) were informed that there is a much closer unit to them when they wanted to join. But they stuck with us, went through our basic cadet training program, and stayed on since January. A bit awkward, but good cadets overall. When we moved to a weekday meeting, I figured they would drop off the roster due to the travel time (about 1hr 15min). One cadet mentioned it to me at a meeting that he wouldn't be able to do Thursdays. "Fair enough. We'll talk after the meeting." His parents came over and mentioned it to me. I immediately expressed my understanding of the situation, said we would be more than happy to work out a transfer to the unit local to them. Called my squadron commander over. Talked for 10 minutes or so. He emailed the CC at the other unit the next morning. Transfer went through this past weekend. They are more than welcome to still attend our upcoming bivouac if they so choose since they were part of the planning process from the start.

3.) We had a cadet and her father, senior member, from another unit (whom we are close with) transfer to our unit. It was not a comfortable situation due to our close relationship with the other unit but the distanced relationship between the two members. It was a very uneasy transfer, but the father was exceptional about it. He requested a meeting with the squadron command over there and broke the news that he was transferring. I was informed of this the week prior but was asked not to discuss it due to him wanting to handle it in an appropriate format. That evening, he sent a formal email to his commander as CDC, and then sent us a formal email requesting the transfer. CC put it through. It shot over to the other unit. They were on our roster the next morning. It is what it is.

If it's a transfer that's on good terms, talk to your unit commander first and say, "I think this would be better for me, but I need to talk to (gaining commander) before I decide anything."

If it's a transfer that's on not-so-good terms, you may want to talk to the gaining commander first and make sure you have somewhere you could go before you say "I don't want to be here" and it gets even more complicated.

Either way, someone loses a member, someone gains a member. If they're professional, they'll do their job and that be the end of it.

Quote from: stitchmom on June 04, 2016, 04:37:49 AM

Quote from: Eclipse on June 04, 2016, 04:56:23 AM
The transfer process is instantaneous when the receiving commander initiates, however how long it
takes to be accepted by the new unit, presuming you are, is dependent on them and their policies.

The transfer is pretty immediate once it gets signed off in eServices. This should take a day or two tops if commanders are active.

If the losing commander has an issue, he/she may petition the transfer within 60 days, in which case it kicks up the chain of command to be addressed.

A disapproving commander is really only hurting himself/herself and that member, though, because it's as simple as "Fine, I quit" to get out of CAP.

Eclipse

I agree that once they've decided "other" is the new normal, denying the transfer is likley going to
make things worse (absent disciplinary or financial issues, etc.), but members don't just stand up
and say "I'm transferring to 'x".

Yes, it happens all the time, but it's not supposed to, because all things being equal, unless the member physically
moved, whatever the "issue" is at the current unit, is probably going to be an "issue" at the new one.

The proximity to the meeting space is critical to long-term participation, especially cadets, which is why
I always look up home addresses on potential members to see if there's a unit closer.

It's especially a red flag when a member pops up one day indicating they are willing to fight rush hour traffic on
a week night for 90 minutes to change units.

"That Others May Zoom"

Toad1168

Sometimes it is a matter of opportunities.  When I was a cadet, the squadron I was with had a commander who absolutely refused to do anything in ES that was not flight line related.  He also stipulated that no members could blouse their boots (this was in the pickle suit era).  A neighboring squadron had a ground team and was open to transfer.  After I returned from a ground team school, the commander at the time told me to take my materials and throw them in the nearest dumpster because I would never use them as long as he was around.  That was the straw that broke the camel's back.  I transferred within a week.

I would add that there were some ill feelings from the previous squadron commander initially.  But that faded, and both squadrons are listed on the plaque at Wing Headquarters noting my Spaatz award since I spent an equal amount of time at both.  So no hard feelings in the end.  And, I can say, I most likely would not have stayed in CAP if I remained in the first squadron.
Toad

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Toad1168 on June 06, 2016, 03:24:29 PM
Sometimes it is a matter of opportunities.  When I was a cadet, the squadron I was with had a commander who absolutely refused to do anything in ES that was not flight line related.  He also stipulated that no members could blouse their boots (this was in the pickle suit era).  A neighboring squadron had a ground team and was open to transfer.  After I returned from a ground team school, the commander at the time told me to take my materials and throw them in the nearest dumpster because I would never use them as long as he was around.  That was the straw that broke the camel's back.  I transferred within a week.

I would add that there were some ill feelings from the previous squadron commander initially.  But that faded, and both squadrons are listed on the plaque at Wing Headquarters noting my Spaatz award since I spent an equal amount of time at both.  So no hard feelings in the end.  And, I can say, I most likely would not have stayed in CAP if I remained in the first squadron.

I agree more with this than the above post.

There are some units that really just aren't "good" units. Changing to a unit farther away from a more local squadron doesn't suggest to me that this is a problem person. "They just suck and don't do anything" is a BS answer when I ask for a reason. But there are legitimate issues in certain squadrons, or there may be another squadron that a cadet, or senior member, feels is more suitable.

Squadron A flies kites for AE. Squadron B build rockets. Squadron C has 3 blues meetings a month. Squadron D has 3 BDU meetings a month. Squadron E has a Color Guard. Squadron F has a drill team.

Eclipse

Agree completely, which is why it's important for the potential new CC to ask these questions,
and for Group and Wing to be made aware of the situation.

There are always legit reasons for things, my personal ground team training was referred to as "playing
Lawrence of Arabia" by a former CC"...whatever...as long as everyone is on board and the cards are on the table.

I've had to deal with situations where cadets or seniors just showed up at a unit and said "i'm transferring here",
and, of course, the Unit CC just punched the ticked and then wondered later why he had to deal with
severe disciplinary issues.

There's a good reason membership board are required.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2016, 04:44:07 PM
Agree completely, which is why it's important for the potential new CC to ask these questions,
and for Group and Wing to be made aware of the situation.

There are always legit reasons for things, my personal ground team training was referred to as "playing
Lawrence of Arabia" by a former CC"...whatever...as long as everyone is on board and the cards are on the table.

I've had to deal with situations where cadets or seniors just showed up at a unit and said "i'm transferring here",
and, of course, the Unit CC just punched the ticked and then wondered later why he had to deal with
severe disciplinary issues.

There's a good reason membership board are required.

Required. Not used enough. And that's CAP-wide.

Way too many units recruiting for the numbers. I have no hesitation of saying "This may not be the right organization for you."

jhighman

Quote from: jhighman on June 04, 2016, 11:14:13 PM
To add to Mac's statement, the losing commander will receive a notice of the transfer in the approvals/validation module of eServices and will have up to four months to reject the transfer.

Sorry. 60 days not 120. Not entirely sure what I was thinking of when I first typed that. Apologies

RNOfficer

You might discuss with the receiving Squadron CC your reasons for transferring.

I transferred once after filing a complaint with National HQ about criminal and suspicious financial transactions I was ordered to process when I was the Finance Officer. I also wrote the Annual Squadron Financial Report but refused to sign and submit it. Eventually that Squadron CC signed and submitted the report I wrote. Although I was under orders not to discuss the complaint, I did vaguely explain to the receiving Squadron CC that I had had serious disagreements with how my former Squadron was run.. I thought it was only fair that he understand that there could be issues in the future.