Texas Encampment Uniforms

Started by C/SrA Ravlin, May 23, 2016, 07:35:41 PM

C/SrA Ravlin

Afternoon all,
I was wondering if any of you know whether or not the Texas Wing is going to be allowing ABUs at the encampment? Thanks in advance.
Ravlin
Cadet SrA Ravlin
Cadet Communications NCO
Boise RMR-ID-073
"Semper Vigilans"
www.gocivilairpatrol.com
www.boisecap.org

THRAWN

Dunno. There is a long list of people who would know found here: http://www.texascadet.org/encampment.html
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

MSG Mac

Always check the sponsoring unit before CAPTALK. But the ABUs will be an authorized uniform effective June 15th. Address the Command Staff designated on the TxWg Encampment website.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

sarmed1

In my non binding or regulatory opinion can they really say no?  It is technically a class of uniform. aka field uniform, they could only really say that field uniforms (BBDU, BDU or ABU) arent authorized, only service dress or corporate equivilents.  But I dont think that they could say only one type or field uniform can be worn?   Now realistically, its usually 3 sets for most encampments, are you really going to go out and buy 3 complete sets of ABU's (or should you)  but it is CAP and there will always be that one guy......

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

THRAWN

Quote from: sarmed1 on May 23, 2016, 07:58:34 PM
In my non binding or regulatory opinion can they really say no?  It is technically a class of uniform. aka field uniform, they could only really say that field uniforms (BBDU, BDU or ABU) arent authorized, only service dress or corporate equivilents.  But I dont think that they could say only one type or field uniform can be worn?   Now realistically, its usually 3 sets for most encampments, are you really going to go out and buy 3 complete sets of ABU's (or should you)  but it is CAP and there will always be that one guy......

MK

Of course they can say no. You've directed activities before. You set the UOD. If you want everyone in BDU, that's the uniform. Since the encampment starts a few days after the authorized start date, it's more likely that most members will only have BDU on hand.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Hummingbird

I'd say it'll be BDUs. For my encampment, I was sent an email stating that BDUs are to be worn for my upcoming summer encampment.
C/MSgtHummingbird CAP
Tactical Chef Boyardee guy
NER-NY-390

sarmed1

Quote from: THRAWN on May 23, 2016, 08:06:19 PM
Quote from: sarmed1 on May 23, 2016, 07:58:34 PM

MK

Of course they can say no. You've directed activities before. You set the UOD. If you want everyone in BDU, that's the uniform. Since the encampment starts a few days after the authorized start date, it's more likely that most members will only have BDU on hand.

I say gray area.  Since CAP has multiple equivalent uniforms, you cant really say only one.  If you say BDU is the UOD-if you have a cadet that needs to wear the BBDU (I have seen one for religious reasons and a few for weight/medical)  does he not come to the activity? or what about seniors.  Once the ABU wear date starts its an equivalent uniform for BDU and you have to allow them to be interchanged with any other approved XXU.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

lordmonar

This is one of those "Just because you can do a thing......does not mean that you should".

To the OP......don't ask us here on CAPTALK......call your wing CP director....or better yet.....go through your chain of command to get the information.

One would think that IF you are going to ban ABUs from an event.....you would get the word our in a nice loud and clear voice.....and not have random cadets asking for information on CAPTALK.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

C/SrA Ravlin

I think CAP Talk is a great tool to find answers to questions and it is much quicker than the chain... This is a great resource and it has helped me a lot in my CAP career.
Cadet SrA Ravlin
Cadet Communications NCO
Boise RMR-ID-073
"Semper Vigilans"
www.gocivilairpatrol.com
www.boisecap.org

THRAWN

Quote from: C/SrA Ravlin on May 24, 2016, 04:12:44 PM
I think CAP Talk is a great tool to find answers to questions and it is much quicker than the chain... This is a great resource and it has helped me a lot in my CAP career.

If you keep using CAPTalk as a primary resource instead of your chain, you are going to have a very short CAP career.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Toth

Quote from: THRAWN on May 24, 2016, 04:16:57 PM

If you keep using CAPTalk as a primary resource instead of your chain, you are going to have a very short CAP career.

CAPTalk is a great resource to ask questions that may not be relevant or known by your chain of command (questions about national topics, NCSAs, etc) but for a question like this it would be more fitting to use your chain, because the number of active members on CAPTalk who are actually going to that encampment is probably small compared to the number who will see this post.
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

abdsp51

Learn to read the regs, read the regs and ask you CoC.  Seeking an instant answer here is not going to help you in the long run. 

You'll be much better off.

THRAWN

Quote from: Toth on May 24, 2016, 04:23:55 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on May 24, 2016, 04:16:57 PM

CAPTalk is a great resource to ask questions that may not be relevant or known by your chain of command (questions about national topics, NCSAs, etc) but for a question like this it would be more fitting to use your chain, because the number of active members on CAPTalk who are actually going to that encampment is probably small compared to the number who will see this post.

You do know how the chain of command works, right? And more importantly, why it's important to use it? If your chain is not able to respond or refer you to the proper person or office for issues that "may not be relevant or known", they're failing as leaders. If, however, you're going outside the chain and not including them in the inquiry or decision making process, you're failing as a subordinate. Use the chain. First. Always.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

C/SrA Ravlin

I am not going to have a great reputation on here for that probably. But thank you all for your answers to the original question and thank you to those who corrected me on my last statement.
Cadet SrA Ravlin
Cadet Communications NCO
Boise RMR-ID-073
"Semper Vigilans"
www.gocivilairpatrol.com
www.boisecap.org

jeders

Just to close this out, per the packing list found at http://www.texascadet.org/, ABUs may be worn if they are complete and correct. Since approval to wear them starts June 15 and TXWG Encampment starts June 26, that doesn't give you much time. Personally, I would plan on wearing BDUs.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

MSG Mac

The vast majority of the membership is not in Texas and of those who are most have nothing to do with the encampment. Always use your local resources for local questions. If several of us could look up the  Texas Encampment site-so can you.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

THRAWN

Quote from: C/SrA Ravlin on May 24, 2016, 07:04:01 PM
I am not going to have a great reputation on here for that probably. But thank you all for your answers to the original question and thank you to those who corrected me on my last statement.

Meh, don't sweat it. You're a cadet and by definition, a student. You learned something today. Keep it positive...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

C/SrA Ravlin

Thank you all very much. I guess I am lacking in my customs and courtesies. Need to follow my chain thanks to all of you for keeping me on track.
Cadet SrA Ravlin
Cadet Communications NCO
Boise RMR-ID-073
"Semper Vigilans"
www.gocivilairpatrol.com
www.boisecap.org

Toth

Quote from: C/SrA Ravlin on May 25, 2016, 04:14:44 PM
Thank you all very much. I guess I am lacking in my customs and courtesies. Need to follow my chain thanks to all of you for keeping me on track.

Don't get too worked up about what is said on CAPTalk, lots of people on here like to overreact to things. Just use your chain of command and you'll be fine, don't sweat it.
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

Cadetter

Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018