Sunglasses as contraband

Started by Cadetter, May 15, 2016, 08:19:11 PM

Cadetter

How are they a distraction, sir? I'm not contradicting you - I'm genuinely curious and haven't (yet!) experienced such :)
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Luis R. Ramos

Doubt that sunglasses may be allowed 20 years from now? Who knows?

From the First World War to shortly after the Second World War, the Army uniform included short, brown ankle length boots. Shortly before the Korean War, the boots changed to black tall boots. Then boots changed to different colors. Back to brown, green suede boots, etc. I am not going to try to talk about the changes in styles of uniforms, it would take me too long.

What about pens? "No visible pens on any uniform." Now you can wear pens on the ABU?

I do not work with Color Guards, so I am not aware of their regs. However I heard they are allowed to wear sunglasses during duty hours.

No one would have ever bet on those changes.

I don't care one way or the other. But never say never...

Who knows about regulations re sunglasses? They may change, they may not. But as we all know, military regs do change.

::)
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Cadetter on May 16, 2016, 03:36:35 AM
How are they a distraction, sir? I'm not contradicting you - I'm genuinely curious and haven't (yet!) experienced such :)

1. Someone loses their sunglasses. They are now trying to find their sunglasses or thinking about their lost sunglasses in a formation.
2. Your PAO goes to post a picture on facebook of the formation you are in. Everyone looks good... except the guy with the sunglasses on his hat/hanging from his shirt/worn on his face. PAO has to discard the image.

abdsp51

You're the why kid aren't you??   You've been given good sound reasons why they are not allowed and it goes against your opinion.  Learn early on when to pick a fight and when not too and this is not one to pick.

Cadetter

Good points :P

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 16, 2016, 03:42:32 AM

You're the why kid aren't you??   You've been given good sound reasons why they are not allowed and it goes against your opinion.  Learn early on when to pick a fight and when not too and this is not one to pick.

Good reasons are in the eye of the beholder, sir. One does not have to approve of reasons in order to follow them... and yes, unfortunately, that is my tendency (and the focus of most review sessions)... have improved a bit...
Earhart Award, 2018

spaatzmom

I remember several years ago when my son was but a wee cadet attending his first encampment, being stopped at least three times from the parking lot to the building entrance before even getting to check in regarding his "sunglasses".  We were told each time sunglasses were not allowed, each time the response was they are not sunglasses.  Finally we got to check in and again sunglasses are not allowed, again they are not sunglasses.  Well you can't wear them.  Ok, then who is going to watch him so he doesn't run into things?  They are prescription glasses with transition lenses.  We live in Florida and between the sun and glare off of windows, ground, and water he needed this type of lens.  They were listed on the 31 which the director approved, so he and his glasses stayed.

abdsp51

Quote from: Cadetter on May 16, 2016, 03:46:18 AM

Good reasons are in the eye of the beholder, sir. One does not have to approve of reasons in order to follow them... and yes, unfortunately, that is my tendency (and the focus of most review sessions)... have improved a bit...
[/quote

The majority of the posters here are in concurrence with it.  Big flag this is not something to fight against.  They are good, sound and legit reasons.  Let this dog lie.

abdsp51

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 16, 2016, 03:57:30 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on May 16, 2016, 03:56:57 AM
Quote from: Cadetter on May 16, 2016, 03:46:18 AM

The majority of the posters here are in concurrence with it.  Big flag this is not something to fight against.  They are good, sound and legit reasons.  Let this dog lie.

Cadetter

Appeal to the masses is rarely the way to convince me, foolish though I may be.

I already have acknowledged the soundness of the reasons anyway... and I still hope for minor change YEARS from now (when one would hope, I've gained critical thinking skills and maturity). Not sure what you're getting at. (Except of course the forever harsh tone when speaking with cadets on this board, and a cadet's unfitness to question reason.)
Earhart Award, 2018

lordmonar

Quote from: Cadetter on May 16, 2016, 04:31:02 AM

I already have acknowledged the soundness of the reasons anyway... and I still hope for minor change YEARS from now (when one would hope, I've gained critical thinking skills and maturity). Not sure what you're getting at. (Except of course the forever harsh tone when speaking with cadets on this board, and a cadet's unfitness to question reason.)
So....why are you arguing?

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Cadetter

I'm not, sir... well, it wasn't my intention... The most recent post I've even said on the topic was curiosity due to my lack of experience... that's a far cry from arguing.

I shall return to under my non-posting rock.
Earhart Award, 2018

PA Guy

Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Everyone gets it, you don't like the no sunglasses thing. The world is full of things you won't like and who told you the world is fair? What you call questioning is thinly veiled quibbling. So suck it up and move on. No one is putting you down they are simply trying to ans your question while you continue to quibble.

SarDragon

Primarily worrying about where they are, or worrying about retaining them on your person, either on your face, or your chosen storage place.

As for this:
Quote from: Cadetter on May 16, 2016, 04:31:02 AM

The harsh tone comes from having your attitude of insisting on being right, despite evidence to the contrary. As for unfitness to  question reason, you took it too far. You asked a question, got several good answers, and continued to question them. Just because you don't like the responses doesn't make them wrong. The reg says no sunglasses in formation. The encampment commander has banned them outright. Get over it. You have more important and productive things to spend your time on.

Regarding the commentary on Transitions® lenses, I have them in my glasses. They do not get as dark as most sunglasses. Since they are prescription lenses, I wear them whenever I am awake - first thing on when I get out of bed, and last thing off before retiring. Even when I was on active duty, I never had issues about wearing them anywhere, even in formation.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

spaatzmom

Regarding the commentary on Transitions® lenses, I have them in my glasses. They do not get as dark as most sunglasses. Since they are prescription lenses, I wear them whenever I am awake - first thing on when I get out of bed, and last thing off before retiring. Even when I was on active duty, I never had issues about wearing them anywhere, even in formation.
[/quote]

Not sure which "edition" if you will of the transition lenses they were; but they got quite dark when they were on the newer side, enough so that they were questioned often.  Later he got photo grey lenses and the older they were the darker they got, just the opposite of the transition lenses.

Anyway, as long as they are doctor ordered, listed on the 31 and approved by the event commander there should be no problem.

As to the I believe OP, you have received the appropriate and correct answers as it stands now within CAP and that is all that matters what is allowed now.  I am sorry it does not fit with your agenda,but it is what it is.  Now is the time to stop beating that dead horse and move on.

NIN

Quote from: spaatzmom on May 16, 2016, 03:49:25 AM
I remember several years ago when my son was but a wee cadet attending his first encampment, being stopped at least three times from the parking lot to the building entrance before even getting to check in regarding his "sunglasses".  We were told each time sunglasses were not allowed, each time the response was they are not sunglasses.  Finally we got to check in and again sunglasses are not allowed, again they are not sunglasses.  Well you can't wear them.  Ok, then who is going to watch him so he doesn't run into things?  They are prescription glasses with transition lenses.  We live in Florida and between the sun and glare off of windows, ground, and water he needed this type of lens.  They were listed on the 31 which the director approved, so he and his glasses stayed.

Who the heck holds an encampment in Florida and doesn't allow sunglasses?  Ugh.  <facepalm>

This is like the whole "take their watches away" thing. Seriously.

Sunglasses are not allowed in formation. Beyond that, if a cadet wants to wear sunglasses while on the flight line at the Air Force base with all the glare, hey, you got 'em, wear 'em.

"Sir, I lost my sunglasses."

"Well, I guess you'll have to squint now, troop.  Next time, you'll do a better job of keeping control of your personal gear, won't you?"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Cadetter

Quote from: PA Guy on May 16, 2016, 05:45:14 AM
Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Everyone gets it, you don't like the no sunglasses thing. The world is full of things you won't like and who told you the world is fair? What you call questioning is thinly veiled quibbling. So suck it up and move on. No one is putting you down they are simply trying to ans your question while you continue to quibble.

Was intending not to post, but of course... everyone gets it, as unanimously agreed...

Quote from: NIN on May 16, 2016, 10:52:46 AM
Who the heck holds an encampment in Florida and doesn't allow sunglasses?  Ugh.  <facepalm>

This is like the whole "take their watches away" thing. Seriously.

Sunglasses are not allowed in formation. Beyond that, if a cadet wants to wear sunglasses while on the flight line at the Air Force base with all the glare, hey, you got 'em, wear 'em.

Yep, no reason whatever to want sunglasses to be allowed.

Quote from: Cadetter on May 16, 2016, 02:23:12 AM
Nonetheless, the caps are undoubtedly useful :)

Quibbling? Only responding to: hypothetical scenarios, statement sparking curiosity (wanted more reason against sunglasses, too), and the decree that I must accept others' opinion (which I already did) after this part.

Quote from: SarDragon on May 16, 2016, 06:30:08 AM
The harsh tone comes from having your attitude of insisting on being right, despite evidence to the contrary. As for unfitness to  question reason, you took it too far. You asked a question, got several good answers, and continued to question them. Just because you don't like the responses doesn't make them wrong. The reg says no sunglasses in formation. The encampment commander has banned them outright. Get over it. You have more important and productive things to spend your time on.

My last "quibbling" post on the topic was around 20-25 posts ago.

Quote from: spaatzmom on May 16, 2016, 08:19:16 AM
As to the I believe OP, you have received the appropriate and correct answers as it stands now within CAP and that is all that matters what is allowed now.  I am sorry it does not fit with your agenda,but it is what it is.  Now is the time to stop beating that dead horse and move on.

... agenda? Now asking "why" is an agenda, ma'am. Got it... I wanted arguments against sunglasses, and I got them... that was my only agenda. And now, if I don't agree with them (hey, I do agree!) I should just go away because I
Quotehave more important and productive things to spend your time on.
Earhart Award, 2018

vorteks

Quote from: Cadetter on May 16, 2016, 03:17:11 AM
Yes sir, I know it, follow it, and enforce it, and that doesn't preclude my opinion on what should change in the future  :angel:
And the quoted 'not applicable' referred to what, hypothetically, I might do if I ever am appointed an encampment commander (once I switch to the dark side in six years)

No way you're 12 or 15 years old. Knock off the trolling.

Cadetter

... not sure what that means, anyway.

I apologize for the lip, all - reading back my posts, it was (unintentionally) present.
Earhart Award, 2018

AirAux

Actually, sunglasses do help prevent cataracts, the number one cause of blindness in the world....

Eclipse

USAF BMT is in San Antonio, TX.

San Antonio, TX experiences 7% more "sunny" days then the national average.

San Antonio, TX has a ~31% higher UV index then the national average.

New airmen are not issue sunglasses in BMT, and a medical condition which would require such a waiver
would probably preclude an applicant from enlisting.

The week you spend in encampment will have zero effect on your eyesight, skin condition, or anything
else when compared to your lifetime exposure.

"That Others May Zoom"