Center Console Radio Equipment

Started by Theodore, April 12, 2016, 02:03:54 PM

Theodore

Hi everyone,
I have been in C.A.P. for a while now, and I also am about to join my local Fire Department and get my HAM license. I was wondering what you guy's opinions were on center console radio holders, light switches, etc. for vehicles. I would like to have at least 3 radios inside, 1 for C.A.P., one for FD, and one for HAM. I dont really want to get into the lights, cause 1. It gives you a big head, and I have seen the way several members act with lights on their vehicles, and 2. the LEOs dont take too kindly to it. Basically, all I want are opinions, and places that have good products.

abdsp51

I think you need to sit down and think about where you want to go in life and structure or restructure your priorities.  If you are looking at joing the FD you are not going to have alot of time for CAP.. 

And 3 radios?  That is alot of money for the units, mounts, programming, antennas and the installation.  I would drop that down to as few as possible but multi use.  There are many ways to go about this but I think you need to figure out your priorities first and nothing increases your chances of theft like a slew of antennas on your car.

arajca

Search Evil Bay for consoles. They're commonly available for under $100, and sometimes for under $50. A little semi-gloss Rustoleum black, and they're good as new.

Depending on what band your FD operates on, you can quite easily put the FD channels on the same radio as the CAP channels if it's a member-owned radio.

All that being said, if you're not planning to make CAP a long term thing, don't worry about a CAP radio.

Theodore

stillamarine

Center consoles are not fun. It's actually annoying. Not to mention potentially dangerous in a wreck.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

THRAWN

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 12, 2016, 02:08:13 PM
I think you need to sit down and think about where you want to go in life and structure or restructure your priorities.  If you are looking at joing the FD you are not going to have alot of time for CAP.. 

And 3 radios?  That is alot of money for the units, mounts, programming, antennas and the installation.  I would drop that down to as few as possible but multi use.  There are many ways to go about this but I think you need to figure out your priorities first and nothing increases your chances of theft like a slew of antennas on your car.

Or school, or dating, or much else. This is good advice. It's great to want to do everything, but it's wise to realize sooner vice later that there are limits to time and resources.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

arajca

Quote from: stillamarine on April 12, 2016, 02:50:33 PM
Center consoles are not fun. It's actually annoying. Not to mention potentially dangerous in a wreck.
Properly installed, they are a whole lot safer than velcro'ing or screwing the radio to the dash. I've installed several in CAP vehicles for that reason. Some of the radio installations done by well-meaning, but clueless members were downright scary.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

cnitas

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Theodore

EMT-83

You don't need a fire department radio. Several years from now, if you move up the ladder (no pun intended) and become a line officer, you will be issued a radio by your agency if that's their policy. Should you decide to buy a radio on your own, don't expect to be able to use it.

Once you obtain your amateur radio license, you should be able to find a mobile radio that can be programmed to receive your local fire department frequency.

stillamarine

Quote from: arajca on April 12, 2016, 03:30:17 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on April 12, 2016, 02:50:33 PM
Properly installed, they are a whole lot safer than velcro'ing or screwing the radio to the dash. I've installed several in CAP vehicles for that reason. Some of the radio installations done by well-meaning, but clueless members were downright scary.

I wish our radio shop would install them properly. My last wreck my radio caught me in the shoulder. Hurt like the dickens.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

stillamarine

Quote from: EMT-83 on April 12, 2016, 05:36:57 PM
You don't need a fire department radio. Several years from now, if you move up the ladder (no pun intended) and become a line officer, you will be issued a radio by your agency if that's their policy. Should you decide to buy a radio on your own, don't expect to be able to use it.

Once you obtain your amateur radio license, you should be able to find a mobile radio that can be programmed to receive your local fire department frequency.

Depends on the VFD and resources. My last Dept once you were qualified to run on calls you were issued a pager and radio. Tones go out you turn the radio and respond.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

SarDragon

Don't forget about licensing for the FD radio. Find out from your local department who carries the license. They operate under different rules than Hams or CAP.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sarmed1

This is (another) one of those areas that you can go to all kinds of ends of the spectrum.  From simple to very complex.  I have had a number of these options.  My current "work" vehicle, all I did was get a "contractors console" from pep boys (basically a center seat box with a flip up lid)  Took the lid off, mounted the radios, switch box and siren (and a couple accessory outlets) to the inside, the wires are all on quick connects.  The box is then mounted to the floor (where the previous cup holder/spare change try was)  The box was maybe $50, with another $20 maybe in screws, connectors, brackets etc.  I like this option the best because it was a-inexpensive b-its easily removable when upgrading vehicles, and if I want/wanted I could put the lid back on and it looks like a center console, not a radio box (it doesnt fit in the current vehicle that way, but the last one it did)

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Luis R. Ramos

Sar-

What is your current vehicle?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

sarmed1

2001 Durango.  Previously 99 tahoe

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Brad

Here's my setup, 2009 Police Impala. Call me overzealous if you want but it works. I've debated getting a center console but the problem would be getting the current console out because the flip-up cup holder would get in the way I think.

(and yes I know my car is dirty. I have 2 kids and a habit of eating in my car somewhat often)

Motorola XTS-5000 VHF  Setup for CAP w/P25, fire department with paging, and ham. I also have a radio holder and strap that I wear usually.

Vertex VX-4204 Setup for fire department with paging, and ham. State-owned property that was CAP stuff, then I retired them out for non-compliant and convinced the state to let me have one back to keep it from just gathering dust. Perks of being the DC and knowing what is coming and going, heh.

Whelen 295HFSA5 Siren/Light Controller Controls all my lights and the PA works. Hooked into the horn on the steering wheel for hands-free switching of siren tones. Secured to the transmission hump and the rat's-nest there goes to a fuse block, then under the floor mat, along the edge of the interior and to a power tap in the trunk as part of the police package. Multiple fuse-points on the hot side so it's good and it gets the job done, even if it looks ugly.

Whelen Talon Dual Red LED I have also a single Whelen Avenger on the back glass, some side-lights in the rear quarter-windows, plus they left the strobe bulbs and wires in the car so I hooked my strobe controller in the trunk into that. Also have a headlight and taillight flasher module hooked into my controller. Bottom line, I'm visible.

Being a more rural county, just about everybody responds from home and runs POV equipment.

Long story short, check your state laws, check your fire department policy, get a setup that works, that you know how to use, and above all else that is safe.

And don't run lights for CAP of course.  :P
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Eclipse

Quote from: Brad on April 13, 2016, 02:54:47 PM

Doesn't this reflect off the glass and make it hard to see, especially at night?

"That Others May Zoom"

Brad

Not as much as you'd think. Very little reflection actually.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Theodore

I have noticed storm spotters are putting red and blue lights on their vehicles. I thought that was an illegal modification, since you are semi portraying yourself as a Fireman or Police Officer

THRAWN

Quote from: Theodore on April 14, 2016, 01:25:07 PM
I have noticed storm spotters are putting red and blue lights on their vehicles. I thought that was an illegal modification, since you are semi portraying yourself as a Fireman or Police Officer

Depends on the state and how the application for the permit is filed.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023