Air Force Civil Engineering Academy Advice

Started by CadetButterz, April 10, 2016, 04:04:54 AM

CadetButterz

I will be attending the AFCEA this July, and want to get everything in order early. Does anyone have any advice on things to bring that may not be on the packing list? The packing list suggests 3 sets of BDUs, but do I really need 3? What are the sleeping accommodations? What is the climate like (I'm guessing very warm with occasional rain)?

Any answers, advice, or tips at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

SarDragon

Quote from: CadetButterz on April 10, 2016, 04:04:54 AM
I will be attending the AFCEA this July, and want to get everything in order early. Does anyone have any advice on things to bring that may not be on the packing list? The packing list suggests 3 sets of BDUs, but do I really need 3? What are the sleeping accommodations? What is the climate like (I'm guessing very warm with occasional rain)?

Thank you.

The general consensus among 129+ other posts dealing with packing lists is to bring everything on your packing list, and only those things. After a quick glance, it looks like foot powder might be a permissible, and useful, addition.

As for 3 sets of BDUs, this is just a guess - civil engineering implies dirt, and you might have significant exposure. Laundry facilities might not be available. Again, just a guess. These packing lists get a lot of thought before they are published, so there must be a good reason.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Civil Engineering, yeah, you're going to get dirty. And there's a fairly good chance you might rip or tear those BDU's too.
So you make the call. Follow the packing list or start working up your excuse for when they call you on it.

vesryn

Quote from: SarDragon on April 03, 2016, 07:05:25 PM
The general consensus among 129 other posts dealing with packing lists is to bring everything on your packing list, and only those things. After a quick glance, it looks like foot powder might be a permissible, and useful, addition.
Quote from: SarDragon on April 10, 2016, 04:26:55 AM
Quote from: CadetButterz on April 10, 2016, 04:04:54 AM

Thank you.

The general consensus among 130 other posts dealing with packing lists is to bring everything on your packing list, and only those things. After a quick glance, it looks like foot powder might be a permissible, and useful, addition.

As for 3 sets of BDUs, this is just a guess - civil engineering implies dirt, and you might have significant exposure. Laundry facilities might not be available. Again, just a guess. These packing lists get a lot of thought before they are published, so there must be a good reason.

FTFY
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

SarDragon

Quote from: Trenzalorian on April 11, 2016, 12:03:42 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on April 03, 2016, 07:05:25 PM
The general consensus among 130 other posts dealing with packing lists is to bring everything on your packing list, and only those things. After a quick glance, it looks like foot powder might be a permissible, and useful, addition.

FTFY

Didn't need fixed. Using 129+ leaves the door open for any number of additional posts, without having to count them every time.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

conca27

I attended the AFCEA last year, and the one thing I wished I had more of was black t-shirts. It is hot and humid in that area of Florida during the summer, so you go through at least one every day and usually two.
New York Wing Encampment 2013 - Echo Inflight
New York Wing Encampment 2014 - Foxtrot Flight Sergeant
Air Force Civil Engineering Academy 2015 - Graduate
Rochester Composite Squadron - Alpha Flight Commander; Operations Officer
Billy Mitchell Award #66326

SarDragon

Quote from: conca27 on April 11, 2016, 03:50:11 PM
I attended the AFCEA last year, and the one thing I wished I had more of was black t-shirts. It is hot and humid in that area of Florida during the summer, so you go through at least one every day and usually two.

Tell us about dirt. We want the dirt on dirt!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on April 11, 2016, 08:52:46 PM
Quote from: conca27 on April 11, 2016, 03:50:11 PM

Tell us about dirt. We want the dirt on dirt!

In that part of the world it's usually red!

conca27

The dirt was very dirty! We also had a bear problem on the second day, he was hanging around the dumpster near the cadets tents for a while. When I say tents I don't mean a popup camping tent. I mean the ones soldiers use in Iraq that have AC and solid doors. I can't spoil the week for you, but it was a great experience and I would definitely go back if I had the time or the money!
New York Wing Encampment 2013 - Echo Inflight
New York Wing Encampment 2014 - Foxtrot Flight Sergeant
Air Force Civil Engineering Academy 2015 - Graduate
Rochester Composite Squadron - Alpha Flight Commander; Operations Officer
Billy Mitchell Award #66326

CadetButterz

Quote from: conca27 on April 12, 2016, 08:11:42 PM
The dirt was very dirty! We also had a bear problem on the second day, he was hanging around the dumpster near the cadets tents for a while. When I say tents I don't mean a popup camping tent. I mean the ones soldiers use in Iraq that have AC and solid doors. I can't spoil the week for you, but it was a great experience and I would definitely go back if I had the time or the money!

I was wondering about the lodging. Cadets stay in those type of tents on base? Just curious.