Main Menu

NBB Tips

Started by vesryn, April 03, 2016, 05:37:50 PM

vesryn

Former Berets, do you have any tips for first timers?
Is there anything that should be brought that's not on the packing list, or anything that might throw off a first-time cadet?

Thanks!
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

SarDragon

The general consensus among 129 other posts dealing with packing lists is to bring everything on your packing list, and only those things. After a quick glance, it looks like foot powder might be a permissible, and useful, addition.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LSThiker

When you are off, relax and enjoy the airshow and surroundings. When you are working, then work.

jeders

Quote from: Trenzalorian on April 03, 2016, 05:37:50 PM
Former Berets, do you have any tips for first timers?
Is there anything that should be brought that's not on the packing list, or anything that might throw off a first-time cadet?

Thanks!

My first tip would be to join the National Blue Beret 2016 Facebook group as there are lots of experienced Returning Berets their that can answer your questions.

The packing list for NBB has been set and tested for many years and covers everything you will need. If it's on the list, bring it; if it's not on the list, don't bring it.

Quote from: LSThiker on April 03, 2016, 08:03:58 PM
When you are off, relax and enjoy the airshow and surroundings. When you are working, then work.

This right here is about the best advice you could ever get.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RogueLeader

Don't turn down trans from ultralights if you have whitespace (free time) right after.  It's not cool.  Trust my feet on that. NBB 2013
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

vesryn

Thanks guys!

My father's current military, and happens to have a BDU Goretex jacket with the name sewn on the sleeve,  as per army regulation. Does anyone know if this is acceptable or in regs for CAP? I consulted 39-1, specifically 6.1.11, and didn't find anything pertinent
Eaker #3363

Garibaldi

Quote from: Trenzalorian on April 05, 2016, 03:38:04 PM
Thanks guys!

My father's current military, and happens to have a BDU Goretex jacket with the name sewn on the sleeve,  as per army regulation. Does anyone know if this is acceptable or in regs for CAP? I consulted 39-1, specifically 6.1.11, and didn't find anything pertinent

No it is not. I've tried experimenting with it myself, both with a small, blank OD tape with my name in black sharpie, and with a shortened regular size name tape (which looks like crap) and it's just weird. For reg's sake, we'd have to use white on blue, which WOULD work but insofar as CAP catching up to the RMtm and the AF, I don't think they'll ever be authorized, even if we do switch to the APECS/ECWCS parka if the ABU is authorized.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

vesryn

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 05, 2016, 05:10:08 PM
Thanks guys!

No it is not. I've tried experimenting with it myself, both with a small, blank OD tape with my name in black sharpie, and with a shortened regular size name tape (which looks like crap) and it's just weird. For reg's sake, we'd have to use white on blue, which WOULD work but insofar as CAP catching up to the RMtm and the AF, I don't think they'll ever be authorized, even if we do switch to the APECS/ECWCS parka if the ABU is authorized.

That's unfortuante, I sure would have liked to have used it. Looks like I'll be stuck with the M-65 jacket.

Another quesstion: What size pack should I bring for day-to-day activities at NBB? I don't want to bring something too large and have to lug it around all day.
Eaker #3363

Garibaldi

Quote from: Trenzalorian on April 06, 2016, 02:03:42 PM
Thanks guys!

That's unfortuante, I sure would have liked to have used it. Looks like I'll be stuck with the M-65 jacket.

Another quesstion: What size pack should I bring for day-to-day activities at NBB? I don't want to bring something too large and have to lug it around all day.

Every time I've been there, all I've seen them carry are camel backs. Granted, this was 10 years or more ago, but that's all you really need. Snacks can fit in the leg pockets. Sunscreen, sunglasses, camera. If you are bent on taking a pack take something small like your school backpack but pack light.

jeders

Quote from: Trenzalorian on April 06, 2016, 02:03:42 PM
Thanks guys!

If you consult the packing list at nbb.cap.gov, this is discussed. The best thing to bring is a camelback type pack, pistol belt and suspenders, or other load bearing equipment. Bring something that is just large enough to carry what you need and no larger; you don't need anything more than that. As far as lugging it around, at most of your duty stations your gear will be sitting on the ground next to you so that you don't overheat under all that weight.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Garibaldi

One thing I learned from living in Wisconsin for 8 years is that the weather is very unpredictable in summer. Last time I went to the precautionary mission in Fond du Lac, it was 90ish the day I drove up. A cold front came through while I was on the road and dropped the temps to a very comfortable 70ish for the rest of the week. Light winds.

The lesson is to watch the weather before you go. You can view different areas at the NOAA website for OSH at: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=44.0247&lon=-88.5426#.VwVy0NswjyM

Or by checking the local TV stations: http://wbay.com/ http://fox11online.com/ http://www.nbc26.com/

Hope this helps you plan a little.