Main Menu

Encampment position

Started by Techie, April 01, 2016, 01:07:50 AM

Techie

I'm am a CMSGT. and I was hoping to be a flight sergeant at an encampment but instead I'm on support staff. I know there a limitation on rank when applying to be flight sergeant but I was wondering if I applied as a flight sergeant next year when I'm a 2nd Lt. what are the odds that they will make an exception and let me be a flight sergeant? or should I just try to stay a chief until next encampment?

Thanks in advance.

lordmonar

No. Don't stay a c/CMSgt. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on April 01, 2016, 01:24:26 AM
No. Don't stay a c/CMSgt.

+1 Do Not delay promotion for that.

Encampment staff positions are cyclical and based on timing as much as anything.  Cadets should aim as high as their current
grade reasonably allows, and if they miss "this or that job", chalk it up to the randomness of chance and don't worry about it.

As an officer, your experience would be wasted serving as a Flight Sergeant. If being an FS is really important to you, find another encampment
where you can get slotted as such.  Being from INWG, there are probably at least 4 encampments in reasonable distance.

As of a few days ago, ILWG Summer 2016 was still looking for Flight Sergeants. Camp Lincoln is only about 3.5 hours from
Valparaiso, we have cadets in ILWG driving further then that. http://secap.midwestcc.com/index.php/cadet-staff
They were also looking for a First Shirt which is a challenging job that should be a Chief.

For those of you scoring at home, this is why it's important to get to your first encampment as soon as possible - that insures
these opportunities are open to you.  There will be more halls and doors for a 13 year old C/SSgt, then a 17 year old Chief attending
their first year as a student.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

One of the reasons why I thin you have to be a cadet officer to staff encampment

NC Hokie

Quote from: Techie on April 01, 2016, 01:07:50 AM
...or should I just try to stay a chief until next encampment?

If your squadron commander was nice/dumb enough to approve your application, any encampment commander worth the title would say, "No promotions in one year? No staff position for you."
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Spam

Its very attractive to want to stay a senior C/NCO, accustomed to direct leadership, but your job according to that Cadet Oath is to advance - rapidly - and move on the be the best C/LT you can be, learning and applying indirect leadership techniques.

When I was a Wing DCP, and considering my recommendations for the Commander as to Green Lighting (approving) NCSA applicants or cadet staff applicants for events, I considered their recorded rates of promotions. If a cadet had "stalled out" and was not advancing his/her training and education rapidly (per the Oath), he/she didn't make the cut, and their lack of progress dogged their selections from then on.

On the other issue, I understand (and agree) with your preference for a line position (line over staff, any day, baby!). Yet, it is entirely possible to serve with distinction in a staff position as a contributor and enabler to the greater accomplishment of the unit mission. Good commanders notice, and remember that selfless service.

Good luck
Spam

kwe1009

Quote from: NC Hokie on April 01, 2016, 02:20:29 AM
Quote from: Techie on April 01, 2016, 01:07:50 AM
...or should I just try to stay a chief until next encampment?

If your squadron commander was nice/dumb enough to approve your application, any encampment commander worth the title would say, "No promotions in one year? No staff position for you."

Exactly.  One thing I look at when I'm doing staff interviews for any event is when was the candidate's last promotion.  If it was more than 4-6 months ago I'm going to ask why.  I want dedicated cadets to staff my events and not being promoted in a long time doesn't show much dedication (unless there is a REALLY good reason).  Not getting promoted in a year can also be grounds for your removal from the cadet programs as you are not progressing.

vesryn

I was a Flight Sergeant last year at NYWG. Don't be too upset about not getting Flight Sergeant. Flight Commander or executive staff are still great positions, and you'll have fun regardless of what position you're in.
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

Storm Chaser

You can always apply to be flight commander, which is not much different.

MSG Mac

You only have a limited time to advance within the cadet program. don't waste any of that time by staying a C/CMSgt for longer than you have to. Ive seen quite a few people miss out on their Spaatz and Eaker Awards due to timing or aging out. another passed the Spaatz 6 hours before his 21st birthday.  get your Mitchell, take whatever position you're offered and continue your progression.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Tim Day

Quote from: lordmonar on April 01, 2016, 02:02:44 AM
One of the reasons why I thin you have to be a cadet officer to staff encampment
What do you mean by this?
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

lordmonar

I see a trend with some cadets slowing or stopping their advancement so the can get one of the "good" jobs at encampment.   

I would like to end that by making   Those flight Sgt. And first Sgt and group Sgt jobs go to Lts

Tim Day

Quote from: lordmonar on April 04, 2016, 07:02:09 PM
I see a trend with some cadets slowing or stopping their advancement so the can get one of the "good" jobs at encampment.   

I would like to end that by making   Those flight Sgt. And first Sgt and group Sgt jobs go to Lts
I'm intrigued. We have our cadre sign an agreement that they'll keep advancing with some specifics about number of promotions between selection and encampment start. Maybe another option would be assigning the NCO jobs "insitu", which would also be entirely in keeping with the intent of CAPP 52-24.

Probably should be a separate thread though...
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Spaceman3750

Quote from: lordmonar on April 04, 2016, 07:02:09 PM

Why can't those issues be dealt with on an as-needed basis by commanders than changing an entire system because of a few or some cadets?

lordmonar

I see the simple fix is in stead of flight commander and fly Sgt.  Do flight commander and assistant fly commander make them a sr let or CAPT and a Jr. Lt

Storm Chaser

Quote from: lordmonar on April 04, 2016, 07:25:54 PM
I see the simple fix is in stead of flight commander and fly Sgt.  Do flight commander and assistant fly commander make them a sr let or CAPT and a Jr. Lt

I've seen that at some encampments. But I don't think the reason some cadets want to remain NCO to be flight sergeant at encampment is because they just want to assist and not be the primary cadet in charge of the flight. Rather, I think these cadets are under the misguided impression that being a cadet NCO is somewhat like being a military NCO; the backbone of the Armed Forces. In CAP's Cadet Programs context, these cadet NCOs are not the trained and experienced professionals the military have, but cadets who have yet to complete the next phase in their development, as the goal of the program is not for cadets to stay at C/CMSgt, but to continue progressing through each cadet officer grade.

PHall

We've done that in CAWG when the Flight Sergeant got their Mitchell after Staff Selection and before Encampment.
And we were happy to see that the cadet didn't wait to promote! :clap:

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: PHall on April 04, 2016, 10:24:16 PM

We've done that in CAWG when the Flight Sergeant got their Mitchell after Staff Selection and before Encampment.
And we were happy to see that the cadet didn't wait to promote! :clap:

I passed my Mitchell right before Encampment, and I was the First Sergeant. Wore the C/CMSgt insignia, and was presented the Mitchell at graduation.

Techie

I would like to thanks everyone for their responses. I'm not going to stress about it and just keep promoting.

Spam

Good for you!  Again, good luck.

Spam