ES Qaulification Badge Proposal

Started by arajca, March 27, 2016, 04:16:51 PM

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on April 15, 2016, 07:32:04 PM
There is currently no definition of a "CERT Team" in a CAP parlance beyond the below.

CAPR 60-3. Page 27:
"Note 4: New training programs and levels in certain specialties are currently in development. In
order to allow enough time for proper testing and fielding of new curricula and to avoid delaying
the release of this regulation, these new specialties were included in the regulation even though
CAP is not ready to implement all of these specialties at this time
. As these new or revised
specialties are implemented, transition guidance including grandfathering, equivalency, and
currency procedures will be posted on the NHQ CAP/DOS website and personnel will be
notified via the chain of command. "

I would argue CERT type activities require at least GT3.  UDF has no training beyond hard-tarmac searching.
It is not "mini-GTL" as some people assert.

The idea that you would allow slick-sleeve members, especially cadets, or people with a wet GES into a DA to "help",
as has been done in the recent past, ignore the huge ORM on that kind of activity, and risks everyone involved, including those
CAP seeks to help.

Except... We do have a CERT qualification - you complete the DHS/FEMA compliant training, upload your certificate, and it goes through chain for approval. Therefore, these members are not completely "wet", and haveh at least the minimum DHS-mandated level of training, which CAP has apparently evaluated and accepted for our purposes.

I'm not saying that the concept isn't without problems in its current form, but it's worth exploring. Not every incident has to be a production. You designate an IC, call the local ground team or CERT team, and go do good work.

Storm Chaser

I think CAP's recognition of the CERT qual in the 101 card is meant to (somewhat) fill our DR training gap. In fact, not only is the CERT qual recognized in CAPR 60-3, the regulation defines the composition of a CAP CERT and allows for their employment during an incident.

As an IC, I can deploy a three-member CERT, as opposed to a four-member GT. And the CERT leader doesn't have to be a qualified GTL. This can potentially make additional resources available during an emergency response.

Is this a CAP thing? Well, it depends. I would prefer to have CAP-specific DR training (whether as a separate DR qual or part of the GTM SQTRs), but since we don't, I like the flexibility of being able to employ these members who have received CERT training outside of CAP. I would ask the following questions: Is CAP taking advantage of these qualified members? And if so, with what level of success? If CERT is not benefiting CAP, then why not develop the necessary training in-house to fulfill our needs?